Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ideas needed! Wich cams into B16A2 and what else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas needed! Wich cams into B16A2 and what else?

Hi every1.

I`m kinda newbie here, but got some experience with hondas. My last car was a integra, wich is a very rare thing over here. I live in eastern europe.

The car is completely stock yet, only custom exhaust.
Thing is that I need ideas what to do with my B16A2 engine. I was offered a Greddy E-manage piggyback and I thought of getting it. Also, I have some trouble with finding the right cams for it so this is where you guys come in. Anyone who`s got experience with e-manage, let me know. is it worth installing and wich cams to go with it? The thing is, that i want to keep the car n/a because rough estimate of a turbo install from nothing to properly working engine cost about $6000 here. (The car itself, a `99 hatch with B16A2 and less than 100 000 miles on it cost $7000) So where`s the point? lol

What else do I have to get besides the valve springs, cam gears, exhaust manifold to get it working properly?
Also, how much does changing cams effect the fuel consumption? What are the stock b16a2 mpg figures? I have no idea how much is the miles-per-gallon thing. Welcome to the fine world of metric system. We use litres per kilometer

The reason, why i`m posting this is, that you guys have no idea how lucky you are Tuning a jap in europe is a real headache. If I had a BMW 3series or a Golf, it would be really easy to get it tuned but the prices and availability for japanese cars are not normal. I´m just fed up of all the guys running 13 seconds with a smile on their face in a road legal bmw while subs are breaking bones. I decided to take the hard way.

Thank you for your replyes and excuse my english.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:37 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Ideas needed! Wich cams into B16A2 and what else? (VTi-Estonia)

CTR (Civic Type R) cams are a great upgrade for NA. Also, you could go with Skunk2. I wouldn't waste too much money on a Greddy E-manage system, if you plan on going all motor, you could just buy a chipped ECU, and that'll run it properly. Also, JUN makes some bomb *** Titanium Valve springs and retainers which'll help you gain more power without affecting your engine due to valve float. The CTR cams won't affect fuel consumption too badly, because they become high lift when Vtec kicks in, so if you daily drive it, you'll be looking at roughly, the same consumption. For optimal setup, I'd suggest you upgrade your pistons to a higher compression, such as the ITR or CTR pistons.

If you're interested in parts, go ahead and post on here, and I'll get in touch with you, I have a lot of NA parts for B series sitting in my garage.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ideas needed! Wich cams into B16A2 and what else? (Equilibrium)

cool! thanks!

I haven`t found any CTR parts yet. availabilty is the #1 problem.
I know that good things cost so a raise in fuel consumption is not a big problem actually. I want to keep it NA, because otherways I´d have to race with audi S4-s, subarus and EVOs in nationals and I won`t have a chance among these bad boys and I`m not willing to spend such money on turbo. it`s cheaper to buy a new STI and tune it a bit.
What kind of Skunk`s you had in mind as an alternative fot CTR`s?
Another thing, if someone could explain me why piggyback is not so good option vs standalone unit?

thnx, Equilibrium. Email me krigs@msn.com and let me know what u have got and the condition of the parts. maybe we can work something out.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a little off-topic fact to make you guys jealous..
form 1st of jan a new traffic control law was released and according to that cops are not allowed to measure speed if they have not attended a special class and the radars have not been checked by a special commitee. none of the cops have done it yet so we can legally go as fast as we can, anywhere we want and later if caught say that the measured speed could be incorrect. bad thing is that if you crash, your actual speed can be calculated. not too bad, ha? :D

still...radar detectors are illegal here and you`ll get a huge ticket for having one in your car.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any more ideas, guys?
Old 01-26-2005, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump?
I´m sure that someone has an answer to my question?

Modified by VTi-Estonia at 7:15 AM 1/27/2005
Old 01-28-2005, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thnx a lot...