Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Another buddyclub spec 3 cam breakage.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another buddyclub spec 3 cam breakage.

I will post pics later. I have had the cams in another motor pulled the cams out to put in another motor and while adjusting the valves the cam breaks. Its on the intake side. i have installed alot of cams and never had a problem. I loosened all the valve adjustments and did the proper torque procedure. I thought it may have been because of the line hone. I brought the head to get checked and everything was within spec. Any reason that this would happen besides installer error? i contacted a buddyclub representative and he was asking for a receipt along with pictures. He asked me questions like have i ever dropped the cam. I told him "no" he replied well sometimes they are handled rough during shipping and if they are banged or dropped it will weaken the cams. I no longer have the receipt and cant prove that i am the original purchaser and/or i havent dropped them or have they been handled roughly in when they where shipped. Is this a common issue with the camshafts? was i just lucky that they lasted 5k miles in my DD. Then they decide to malfunction when swapping them. I Will post pics once i recieve them from my friend
Old 01-08-2011, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another buddyclub spec 3 cam breakage.

Ive had mine for over 25k miles so far without an issue. I think Ive heard of every brand of cam breaking at one point or another. Sorry to hear though.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you buy it with a CC? If you did they should be able to track that # and prove you were the orig purchaser IF they want to. If they don't tell them thanks for the poor Cust Serv and you now know where you won't be spending your $$$$ in the future.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think it's a mileage issue, I think core's breaking is more to do with how many times they are torqued down/removed from heads. When I torque/remove the cams, I try to keep as much preasure on the caps as evenly as possible. Does this make sense cuz I'm REALLY high on pain meds due to back surgery. But instead of keeping one cap torqued down to spec, and completly removing the one right next to it...no good. I've had my M22's in and out 4 times I think, so FAR I've had 0 issues. But honestly - can anyone be surprised at lack of quality from BC?? lol everything they make is cheap!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like Fury said, there's been cam failures on multiple manufacturers. Since you've already ran them, You would think they would've been ok. I've watched people install cams, and get aggressive when installing them, as in how much he tightened the caps at a time. And when he went to start it and the distributor wasn't turning because he cracked the cam in the caps. Llike clean rice said, you have to be really even when you torque them down. I try to keep pressure from as many cam caps as possible, go down in 1/4 turns. takes time, but better than cracking a cam i guess.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ledslnger
Did you buy it with a CC? If you did they should be able to track that # and prove you were the orig purchaser IF they want to. If they don't tell them thanks for the poor Cust Serv and you now know where you won't be spending your $$$$ in the future.
No i didnt buy them from CC i bought them off a internet website. They where great cams while they worked. I've seen cams and valvetrain break due to the installer and never said that would be me. Hahha what a joke its not just a installer error. The consultant told me that the cams get weak during shipping if they are banged around. WTF? so i told him they were running in my motor i removed them and reinstalled them. I install my cams where the valve train does not press on the cam by totally loosening the Rocker adjustments. So there is no pressure on the cam pushing it in awkard angles during install. I think the cams are crappy and made from poor quality materials. You can put me on the list of people who fell for there marketing scams. BUDDYCLUB CAMS BREAK EVEN WHEN INSTALLED PROPERLY! THEY GET DAMAGED DURING SHIPPING AND MAY BREAK OR MAY NOT BREAK WHEN INSTALLED ACCORDING TO A BUDDYCLUB REPRESENTATIVE.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^that'll probably be accordding to alot of aftermarket companies.

just like if it's not installed by a proffesional it voids the warranty. i wouldn't be labeled as a pro but i went to school for it and work on cars often but i'd void it if i did it myself. does that mean that the part will break and is made of shitty stuff just because it broke? safety precautions for them, sucks that you lose out, but it happens.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Red_Army
^^that'll probably be accordding to alot of aftermarket companies.

just like if it's not installed by a proffesional it voids the warranty. i wouldn't be labeled as a pro but i went to school for it and work on cars often but i'd void it if i did it myself. does that mean that the part will break and is made of shitty stuff just because it broke? safety precautions for them, sucks that you lose out, but it happens.
DONT GAMBLE YOUR MONEY BUDDYCLUB CAMS BREAK EVEN WHEN PROPERLY INSTALLED. Customer service will not help you. Stick with a company that will help you out and back up there warranty claims. Such as skunk2.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For many years I have used BuddyClub cams in both street and race engines and NEVER seen one break,I did have a problem with some K series cams sometime ago that where ground with the wrong centre lines but other than that no other problems,I always find it strange that people get on here crying that something broke and all claim 99% of the time its a faulty product and not an installer or engine related issue.The only cams I have had break where Crower cams in a B and a H engine but I dont go crying about that as I still use there products in other engines I am and have built.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:09 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
For many years I have used BuddyClub cams in both street and race engines and NEVER seen one break,I did have a problem with some K series cams sometime ago that where ground with the wrong centre lines but other than that no other problems,I always find it strange that people get on here crying that something broke and all claim 99% of the time its a faulty product and not an installer or engine related issue.The only cams I have had break where Crower cams in a B and a H engine but I dont go crying about that as I still use there products in other engines I am and have built.
I concur with this. The main reason why I don't use Brian Crower was due to the same experience.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In no way am i crying. Im just stating a fact that if what the consultant said is true"the cams may be fatigued due to being bumped during shipping". This was there way of saying we got your money and your **** outta luck. I will never use buddyclub cams again due to that statement. I am pretty sure the cams will see allot more problems while installed that being in a box tightly surrounded by styrofoam in the back of a delivery van. haha!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I concur with this. The main reason why I don't use Brian Crower was due to the same experience.
really? i've seen crower ones break but not the brian crower.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tempsohc
In no way am i crying. Im just stating a fact that if what the consultant said is true"the cams may be fatigued due to being bumped during shipping". This was there way of saying we got your money and your **** outta luck. I will never use buddyclub cams again due to that statement. I am pretty sure the cams will see allot more problems while installed that being in a box tightly surrounded by styrofoam in the back of a delivery van. haha!
I just reread your first post and really think you have made a mistake with removing/installing them I had the same issue with a set of Nissan cams I did where they cracked removing them not installing them.We are all human and make mistakes and sometimes just to proud to admit it,if I where you I would have a good think about it 5k on them with 0 problems then you remove them and they break installing them hmm go figure.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just reread your first post and really think you have made a mistake with removing/installing them I had the same issue with a set of Nissan cams I did where they cracked removing them not installing them.We are all human and make mistakes and sometimes just to proud to admit it,if I where you I would have a good think about it 5k on them with 0 problems then you remove them and they break installing them hmm go figure.
exactly this is what i was thinking. WTF? i have installed cams never had a problem. This isnt my first rodeo. Know what i mean. Cams is one of the more simpler things involved in building a engine. im not to proud to admit a mistake, Mistakes are the reason i have learned