Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Please give me a reason to get a RSX-S

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2001, 05:59 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Please give me a reason to get a RSX-S (schanx)

Just remember this.. im looking for a car that is in teh $20-$30K range. What other car can be define in this class with equal strenghts?
used s2k? there are many w/low miles going for 25-28k
Old 09-15-2001, 06:00 PM
New User

Default Re: Please give me a reason to get a RSX-S (schanx)

schanx...i agree with ya...I am gettting the RSX-S with Aritic Blue is because JDM RSX-R has this color, don't need to repainted or major mod in front, just black out headlight, R kit, R spoiler, or R rims if you want since (aussie RSX-R use the same rims as we do in Canada). This is a great car man

o...mycroft Homes, this is for you F**K YOU!

[Modified by RSX02, 3:02 AM 9/16/2001]
Old 09-16-2001, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please give me a reason to get a RSX-S (R748)

A while back someone posted a dyno of an RSX-S vs a Type-R done on the same day, on the same dyno. The striking this was the ~10 ft-lbs of torque advantage the RSX-S had over the R below 5600 RPM. The advantage from 5600 to redline was around ~3 ft-lbs.

I remember thinking then that the RSX would probably be very competetive on an autocross, where the extra torque advantage lower down will help it pull out of slow speed corners a lot better than the current R. This has to be balanced with the R having an LSD that lets is put it's power to the ground more efficiently. It's hard to know which is the better car in the situation. Do you have any input? I'd love to hear your experience.

However, on a road course, the extra weight will probably cancel out the torque advantage. However, then there's the gearing on the RSX-S. So many questions....
R748 - many good points you have raised. BTW, it was Emmett (Artic Freeze) and me who dynoed on the _same day_. He had ~5hp and ~10lb-ft tq more than I did. (I forgot the exact torque #s). Anyway, way RSX-S has way more usable torque band before the VTEC cross over. And, after the VTEC it does everything in par w/ ITR motor.

However, Emmett and I discussed several issues w/ RSX-S motor/tranny as you have raised questions. See, RSX-S redlines at prematurely at 7,900 rpm (or was it 8,100 rpm... doh forgot). Emmett said that he sometimes drops out of the VTEC band unless shifted precisely at either redline or over the redline limit. In an autoX events, this shouldn't be a big problem, but at a track I could see how it could have a negative effect. Also, in some autoX courses where ITR drops off the VTEC range (either due to tight course design, etc.) RSX-S will definitely get good jump w/ usable torque. But, ITR has LSD to pull through turns... so, many questions to be raised.

We should have some interesting results in a week or so. Our autoX is coming up in a week. I'm a novice driver (0 session) and Emmett has 1 session under his belt. We'll see how our times compare at the next autoX. Sure, our driving levels could be totally different (I have bad eye/hand/foot coord. ), but we'll see how it goes. If Emmett wants to, he can ring out my car and compare to his. Oh yeah, we both have about 4000 miles now. (p.s. Emmett has 17x8" rims + Kumho 712's as mods. I may have a racing bucket seat as my only mod.)

[Edit]
I forgot to mention that Audi 1.8t w/ sports package + quattro has a very nice handling characteristics and HP is easily upped. I recently test drove several $30's cars and I must say that Audi is on par w/ Acura in the handling department. (I know FWD and Quattro is in different leagues, but they both feel very confident.) FYI, here's my list of top picks in 30's range.
1. BMW 330Ci w/ sports package... turn-in's are perfect, everything is great... would be great if you gut out that car . Also it's really a $40's car.
2. Audi 1.8t w/ s.p +quattro... very nice feel to it w/ quattro. Also, seats are great! (Price is heavily discounted due to new 2002 model coming up... really a upper $20's car!)
3(tie). Acura TL-S w/ Comptech springs... rides very nicely... car is a bit too big, but handles prett good. Can't go wrong w/ 260hp (w/ potential for 300HP w/ comptech header & exhaust)
3(tie). IS300... good torque, good turn-in responses as the others, but interior is too small... would love to try out TRD suspesion package.
[/Edit]

[Modified by Cosworth, 3:29 PM 9/16/2001]
Old 09-16-2001, 11:26 AM
MIA
New User

Default Re: Please give me a reason to get a RSX-S (Cosworth)

I forgot to mention that Audi 1.8t w/ sports package + quattro has a very nice handling characteristics and HP is easily upped. I recently test drove several $30's cars and I must say that Audi is on par w/ Acura in the handling department. (I know FWD and Quattro is in different leagues, but they both feel very confident.) FYI, here's my list of top picks in 30's range.
1. BMW 330Ci w/ sports package... turn-in's are perfect, everything is great... would be great if you gut out that car . Also it's really a $40's car.
yeah nice car.. but lacking in Torque, takes a while to take off before the power kicks in at 3000 rpm
2. Audi 1.8t w/ s.p +quattro... very nice feel to it w/ quattro. Also, seats are great! (Price is heavily discounted due to new 2002 model coming up... really a upper $20's car!)
I agree my co-worker has one, a 99 model A4 1.8T Quadro, nice upgrade from the Passat, also lacks in power, but soon as the turbo kicks in late... need a chip. So far she has taken it in several time for maintance.. (Turbo vaccum hose loose, interior cracking and chipping, and theres more, to much to mention) oh by the way drinks way to much for a 4 cyl with the A/C blasting.. not good...
3(tie). Acura TL-S w/ Comptech springs... rides very nicely... car is a bit too big, but handles prett good. Can't go wrong w/ 260hp (w/ potential for 300HP w/ comptech header & exhaust)
Good one also, but that car is more a family car.. i'll get that a few years from now, now i need speed and more power.. grrrrrrrrr
3(tie). IS300... good torque, good turn-in responses as the others, but interior is too small... would love to try out TRD suspesion package.
Great car, excellent car, but the price range for me...
But test drove the 2002 V6 LE Camry, (planning to purchase for parents) had same but close enough power. IS has ***** when i test drove it.. but my mind is set on her.... IS 80% of my vote (need to work out a way)

Old 09-16-2001, 06:03 PM
New User

Default Re: Please give me a reason to get a RSX-S (Cosworth)

Sean, you're partially misunderstanding my argument. I'm not comparing the RSX-S to the ITR, only showing that the car is a very capable coupe. BTW, I'm looking forward to comparing times next weekend!
Old 09-16-2001, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please give me a reason to get a RSX-S (ArcticFreeze)

Emmett - in no way I misunderstood you. I think RSX-S is a very capable machine. But, there's been so many speculations and "arm-chair" race outcomes between the two. (As many people like to do when new cars come out.) I think it would be great if you could pilot the RSX-S and ITR and give us a feedback. I trust you with my car and I think it'll be great to see how each car differs in basically stock form. (hope the course will be challenging for both cars...)

Schanx - I agree with your observations. I guess I'm partial to BMW's... great machines... but not a great value. IS300 is a great choice... I just feel clusterphobic in that car when I tested it. Maybe it's 'cuz the car has 4 small doors instead of 2 large doors... I've never owned a 4-door car in the past 4 cars I've owned.
Old 09-17-2001, 09:31 PM
New User

Default Re: Please give me a reason to get a RSX-S (SpoonRSX)

Spoon Spec ITR. I am a member of SCCA and have tracked the car many times as well as taking it to a Battle of the Imports in Joliet, IL one time. I truly stand by my statements about the handling capabilities of the RSX. I have
You said that the RSX has good if not better handling than an R. I've driven both and I must say that the RSX feels and indeed weighs a considerable amount more than an R. Just a few points that favor the R...

- Arguably better but definately more balanced suspension. (for the track)
- LSD
- Lighter weight
- Better gear ratios including FD
- Less body roll (not a huge factor)
- Better stock tires (but something that could be quickly changed)

Per my test driving of the RSX-S, it rolls considerably more under hard cornering, doesn't put the power as well to the ground, doesn't have as good a gear ratio as the R even though it's a 6 speed, feels heavier and does NOT handle as well, nor as neutrally as the R.

I'm not sure why you would say it handles just as well as an R. It's not a bad car IMHO, but it was clearly not designed for the same purpose in mind. It's a much more comfortable car. It understeers a LOT more than an R. What I did like about it was that it has a fatter mid range torque curve so you don't have to rev it as high to make torque, making it a better car in the city, but not necessarily a better track car.

I still think it's more of an upgraded GS-R than something comparably to an R.
Old 09-17-2001, 09:39 PM
New User

Default Re: Please give me a reason to get a RSX-S (SpoonRSX)

Oh BTW, typer100 just traded in his 2k ITR for a RSX-S. Ask him what he thinks about it. He did some track events with us with his R but he says the RSX just isn't the same type of car. He's very happy with it because it's much more comfortable, but it may not suit everyone's needs.

He's says that it's considerably slower too, running only 15.4 at a drag strip, but I won't get into that because it hasn't been broken in yet and can't directly compare just yet. I don't doubt that it'll eventually be almost if not faster than an R in straight line speed. It's the other aspects of the S' performance that don't match up to the R.
Old 09-18-2001, 08:47 PM
MIA
New User

Default Re: Please give me a reason to get a RSX-S (jimbob)

Remember the R was njot built to go straight, but built for the track, im comparing the Japan ITR (RSX-R) pretty much equal when it all comes down. Another words all the same when on the track with slight slight difference.

[Modified by schanx, 5:48 AM 9/19/2001]