Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Please give me a reason to get a RSX-S

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2001, 08:47 AM
MIA
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please give me a reason to get a RSX-S

RSX-S Owners-
Please give me a reason to get a RSX-S?
Should I wait for the RSX Type R? Is it coming (2002)?
All answer will be greatly appreciated.

**IS300 is maybe a no, $10,000 Down, and owe 20,000,
Old 09-14-2001, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please give me a reason to get a RSX-S (schanx)

**IS300 is maybe a no, $10,000 Down, and owe 20,000,
Damn, you already beat me to it... I was gonna say IS300.

I like RSX-S. It's a nice comfortalbe commuter car that is fast when it needs to be. Do you want a 2-dr coupe? If not see how you like Maxima SE... 255hp, 4dr sleeper. Maxima is suppose to boast a stiffer chassis than DC2 ITR's.
Old 09-14-2001, 10:33 AM
New User

Don't buy an RSX.
Old 09-14-2001, 10:36 AM
New User

I am a former owner of a 97 Light Tuned Spoon Spec ITR... It was also stolen from me, and I went with an RSX-S because I didn't want to deal with getting the R stolen again. I considered: Another R (don't want to deal w/ theft issues), IS300 5spd L-tuned (too expensive and not worth the price for the performance), WRX (excellent engine, bad tranny, ugly styling), and RSX-S.

I chose the RSX-S due to it's price/performance value over all other cars in its class. I assure you that the styling grows on you quite a bit, the performance is akin to a refined R... I dynoed after only 800 miles and got 173 HP, 126 TQ! 10 more hp and tq than a stock R!! I don't regret my decision at all! It turned out to be the best choice... Especially as a previous R owner. Don't get me wrong, I loved and missed my R... But trust me the RSX-S has ALOT more to offer...
Old 09-14-2001, 10:41 AM
New User

Default Re: Please give me a reason to get a RSX-S (Mycroft Holmes)

Don't buy an RSX.
why not? give schanx a reason not to not jus an opinion or answer.
Old 09-14-2001, 11:13 AM
New User

Default Re: Please give me a reason to get a RSX-S (Chois i-VTEC)

why not? give schanx a reason not to not just an opinion or answer.
I'd wait to see if Honda fixes their colossal blunder by equipping the next generation RSX with double wishbone front suspension.

I'm not giving Honda Motor Co. Ltd. another penny until they get those lousy struts out of there!

Also consider that there probably isn't nearly as much extra power to be found in the type-S engine as there was in the old B-series VTECs. The Type-S already has a high 11.5:1 CR, the design of the close-coupled catalytic converter means that gains from headers will be puny, the i-VTEC system will make it more difficult to engineer aftermarket camshafts, and so on and so on. Yeah, that 200 hp is great, but you'd better be happy with it 'cause that's about all you'll get.

[Modified by Mycroft Holmes, 3:05 PM 9/14/2001]
Old 09-14-2001, 12:32 PM
New User

why not? give schanx a reason not to not just an opinion or answer.

I'd wait to see if Honda fixes their colossal blunder by equipping the next generation RSX with double wishbone front suspension.

I'm not giving Honda Motor Co. Ltd. another penny until they get those lousy struts out of there!

Also consider that there probably isn't nearly as much extra power to be found in the type-S engine as there was in the old B-series VTECs. The Type-S already has a high 11.5:1 CR, the design of the close-coupled catalytic converter means that gains from headers will be puny, the i-VTEC system will make it more difficult to engineer aftermarket camshafts, and so on and so on. Yeah, that 200 hp is great, but you'd better be happy with it 'cause that's about all you'll get.
You are completely misinformed. A test-pipe or free-flowing cat plus a cat-back exhaust will give very nice gains. And ask the Atlanta Type-R guys, my RSX-S kept up with them just fine in the mountains, so much for handling problems. Also, I don't see why you would want aftermarket camshafts when the ones that are in the car are tuned just fine as is. But hey, if you just want to hate on the car, go ahead, but your arguments are very poor
Old 09-14-2001, 03:09 PM
New User

Mycroft Holmes- Does your EX drive an RSX by any chance?

An RSX will handle just as good as a type R. This is from a former R owner who had the Mugen Lowdown kit, TEIN HA, APEXi N! 99 Spec, and Skunk2's coilover setups...

Also, by unbolting the exhaust at the cat, and open stock airbox, my RSX dynos 180+ to the wheels... LOTS of potential.... I believe more than my old R as well....
Old 09-14-2001, 03:12 PM
New User

Default Re: Please give me a reason to get a RSX-S (ArcticFreeze)

Oooh, a test pipe and an exhaust. I'll bet that'll get you into the 13's no prob, huh? Why would I want new camshafts? Because 200 hp isn't enough for me.

And struts will always be inferior to SLA suspension. Put your heap on a track with some ITRs and see how well you keep up.

I can't believe more of you aren't disgusted by the change in suspension for the new car. I am disappointed. You know, if more of you were upset about this there would be a better chance of Honda bringing back the SLA front suspension on the next RSX. Just some food for thought.
Old 09-14-2001, 03:14 PM
New User

Default Re: Please give me a reason to get a RSX-S (SpoonRSX)

Mycroft Holmes- Does your EX drive an RSX by any chance?
hahahahaha!

No, she has better sense than that!
Old 09-14-2001, 03:23 PM
MIA
New User

I hear all you guys...
RSX is another Inegtra and this will be my 3rd Integra. Once again its another Honda that will be hot to steal as soon thet thefts fine a way to steal it. Am very faithful to the VTEC and when i test drove the IS 5M i was waiting and waiting for the VTEC to kick in, and nothing... The car did have ***** but for $33,000 no thanks. Currently in the $20-30,000 market the RSX is the best bang for the buck. WRX is a kick *** car but has a ulgy *** look to it.
IS300/BMW 3 series/S2000 are to expensive, especially for my single life budget.
The thing that i like about the RSX is the JDM and USDM has the same look, no more paying extra for the JDM look. and at 200 hp car with sport car features.
Do you agree with me?
If any have pictures of there RSX all fixed up post them here.. Im leaning to the RSX-S... 75% help/////
Old 09-14-2001, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't do it steven! NOOOOOO!!!!! Blecchhhh....How could you go from your R to a civic/integra/chrysler/celica half breed? NOOO!
Old 09-14-2001, 03:37 PM
New User

Default Re: Please give me a reason to get a RSX-S (ThePunk)

Don't do it steven! NOOOOOO!!!!! Blecchhhh....How could you go from your R to a civic/integra/chrysler/celica half breed? NOOO!
Looks like an MDX knocked up a Civic coupe, doesn't it?
Old 09-14-2001, 04:28 PM
Trial User

An RSX will handle just as good as a type R. This is from a former R owner who had the Mugen Lowdown kit, TEIN HA, APEXi N! 99 Spec, and Skunk2's coilover setups...
I've yet to see a good comparison of the handling capabilities of the Type-R vs the RSX-S. It's a very tough call to support the above statement, just on some of the more obvious difference, i.e lower performance tire, LSD, higher weight, higher center of gravity, etc. The other thing to consider is that it's very tough to improve on a stock Type-R by throwing parts at it. In fact, it's easily degraded unless one is very careful about what is being "upgraded". On a highly tuned factory car, it's easy to upset delicate balances that largely affect the overall feel of the car. I'm not saying your modified car was this way, just something to keep in mind.

It's also very hard to compare handling during daily or spirited driving. I wish I had the chance to drive an RSX on a track, so I'll hold judgement till I do or talk to someone who has.

Old 09-14-2001, 09:18 PM
New User

And struts will always be inferior to SLA suspension. Put your heap on a track with some ITRs and see how well you keep up.
What's your f u c k ing problem? Why would you call my car a heap? In case you didn't bother reading my previous post, I've run my car VERY hard in the mountains with 5 ITR's and I had no problem whatsoever keeping up with them. The RSX-S handles BETTER than a GS-R, which has your beloved front double wishbone suspension. If you just want to be an internet thug, more power to you. BTW, what do you drive?

[Modified by ArcticFreeze, 1:19 AM 9/15/2001]
Old 09-14-2001, 11:30 PM
New User

Your car is a symbol of backwards progress from Honda. Like I said, I hoped enthusiasts would be more upset at the loss of the SLA front suspension. I also hoped that negative opinions regarding the struts would light a fire under Honda's *** to get the wishbones back A.S.A.P.

That's why I'm here: To make you guys think about that.

After years of touting the benefits of their double wishbone design, Honda throws in struts and hopes nobody notices or cares. And that's what's happening. Well I care. I want it back.

And just because I think your car is garbage is no reason to consider me a thug.
Old 09-14-2001, 11:49 PM
New User

what kind of car did you say you drive?
Old 09-15-2001, 02:01 AM
New User

Mycroft Holmes.

I must apologize for my dry humor on the statement about your EX. It was meant with no offense. Please don't take it so.

As for the RSX... Like I said before, I am a previous owner of a 1997 Light tuned Spoon Spec ITR. I am a member of SCCA and have tracked the car many times as well as taking it to a Battle of the Imports in Joliet, IL one time. I truly stand by my statements about the handling capabilities of the RSX. I have plenty of experience tracking and ITR and belong to the ITRCA in Northern Cali among many ITR friends and fanatics. Most of which are mainly track drivers. A few of these track-ers also agree with me on the capabilities of the RSX. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I am giving mine, and I respect yours. Maybe the RSX isn't for you, but I just wanted to give schanx my own opinion as a fellow former R owner who had also lost his R due to theft. Also, Honda has reasons to do what it has done, and I am a firm believer of their expertise in the arena of automobile design. I chose to be optimistic of their move so "To each his own".

Arctic Freeze.... I like you man!
I see your postings on ClubRSX. I love your rims, tried to order a set but Tire Rack wouldn't sell them to me stating that they would not fit my car! I sent a mail to Spytech about it as well... Oh well. I post as Spoon on clubRSX. Look out for me! Don't let our friend Mycroft get under your skin as well. I am sure he has strong and valid reasons for his opinions. Bottom line is that we are very happy with our cars. RSX!!!
Old 09-15-2001, 02:16 AM
New User

R748...

I am giving my personal accounts on the RSX's handling capabilities. I have personally tracked an ITR for about 4 1/2 years. I believe that I know the capabilities of that car. After autocrossing for the SCCA for 3 straight years, I wanted to upgrade the Rs suspension. I finally settled on the Mugen suspension after alot of track time and trials and tribulations with the other suspension setups previously listed. Believe me, Mugen understands what it means to finely balance and tune a factory R. I would never question Mugens design and research. In that sense, I don't believe that my old R was not unbalanced as you say.

Also, your points about the RSX in terms of negativities ie. weight, height, etc. Are truly noted and I do agree. However, that is where the extra HP, TQ, iVTEC, Stiffer body rigidity, less body flex, etc. come in to play. That is why I believe the RSX has so much potential. And the new Integra Type R in Japan demolishes the old R. I have seen it with my own eyes!

Just wanted to give an opinion of a previous R owner who, tracked, autocrossed, dragged, tuned, and daily drove both automobiles...

for some show pics of my old R and it's specs: http://www.zteamyossi.com
Old 09-15-2001, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In accordance with your statements regarding strut type front suspension, I gues an M3 and M5's are also heaps since they too have strut type front suspensions. Add in the 928, 944 and S4 also.

It's not the design that determines the handling characteristics of a vehicle. Yes to some extent it does, but the refinement ias what makes the huge difference. The aftermarket tuners will do the same for RSX, New Civic, and Accords (since the entire line up will soon be going to struts) the same way they (aftermarket tuners) have helped Detroit iron combat the strut type suspensions. (Camaro/Mustang) have been using this setup for years. Ever see an A Ssedan race??? These cars plain haul, and handle well also. Saleen's got a modified Mustang pulling .94 g on street tires!!! I'm not here to compare Ford/Chevy's to AHM products, but Honda went the way of this design for a reason. To increase passenger area, increase ride quality, and provide a vehicle that appeals to 90% of the people 90% of the time. Us enthusiasts will have to turn to the aftermarket for upgraded parts and such. The stock spring rates for the rear of the RSX are unbeleivably high when compared to the stock ITR rates. RSX has 450 in the rear STOCK, but only a very progressive rate of 320 in the front. Get a set of upgraded struts and springs on the RSX S and then compare the 2 if you'd like. Stock for Stock they are pretty close in acceleration. But the RSX is very slow in quick transistions (slaloms). This is not due to the "strut type " suspension. This is a variable ratio and variable assist steering rack unit that gets behind when worked to the max. I'll find a way around this. I looked at the ITR and the RSX-S both before purchasing the Type S, and I do not regret my choice. Sure I love the PY ITR, but I still to this day can't get over the front end of the ITR. Sure I could put the J spec front end on it, but then that increases the "theft quality" of the car.

In conclusion, drive both cars, if you ask 5 people, you will get 5 different opinons. That is what Honda wants. They want people talking about the car. They only changed the car due to focus group involvement. These items that got changed, got changed for a reason. 90% of the people wanted a bigger car, with more cargo area, upgraded seats and a better ride quality. Honda delivered. And I beleive they will continue to deliver. There has also been a rumor, I said RUMOR that AHM is working with an "outside supplier" of OE quality performance parts to provide to it's "dealer network" similiar to TRD. I can only hope this will help bridge that 90%/90% gap...

Enjoy your ride, what ever it may be.....

Jeff

[Modified by conetoy, 7:14 AM 9/15/2001]
Old 09-15-2001, 07:18 AM
New User

Arctic Freeze.... I like you man!
I see your postings on ClubRSX. I love your rims, tried to order a set but Tire Rack wouldn't sell them to me stating that they would not fit my car! I sent a mail to Spytech about it as well... Oh well. I post as Spoon on clubRSX. Look out for me! Don't let our friend Mycroft get under your skin as well. I am sure he has strong and valid reasons for his opinions. Bottom line is that we are very happy with our cars. RSX!!!
Sorry, it just gets annoying when I go on a Honda-specific forum to talk about and compare my car, and I have to worry about getting flamed from haters. If someone doesn't own an RSX or doesn't want info on an RSX, don't post here...period. BTW, thanks for the compliments on my car.
Old 09-15-2001, 08:01 AM
New User

And just because I think your car is garbage is no reason to consider me a thug.
i think ArcticFreeze has every reason to think that you are a ignorant boy that reads magazines and tells everyone what you read on that months issue of Sport Compact Car, Import Tuner, Turbo, or any magazine about cars. stop your reading and do some real research.

the new mc phearson struts still allows us to adjust camber, toe in, and caster jus like the old.

let me ask again for ArcticFreeze, "what kind of car did you say you drive? "

Old 09-15-2001, 08:40 AM
New User

I must apologize for my dry humor on the statement about your EX. It was meant with no offense. Please don't take it so.
No apology necessary. I thought it was funny as hell!

And to all of you who think I'm flaming; grow up.

I have a very strong, very negative opinion of the RSX, and I am going to express it. You don't have to agree with me. This is a free country and you have a right to be wrong. Oh, and I don't even read import mags. I do read some mainstream publications, and they seem to like the RSX. My opinion is my own, based on my thoughts and experiences.
Old 09-15-2001, 08:59 AM
Trial User

R748...

Also, your points about the RSX in terms of negativities ie. weight, height, etc. Are truly noted and I do agree. However, that is where the extra HP, TQ, iVTEC, Stiffer body rigidity, less body flex, etc. come in to play. That is why I believe the RSX has so much potential. And the new Integra Type R in Japan demolishes the old R. I have seen it with my own eyes!

Just wanted to give an opinion of a previous R owner who, tracked, autocrossed, dragged, tuned, and daily drove both automobiles...
Interesting, now I really have to go and drive one. I was in for routine service and had a chance the see the RSX's in person, up close. I must say the car looks much better in person than any photograph I've seen. Just so that I'm not misunderstood, I don't think the 3rd gen ITR is the be and end all for the Integra line, in fact, there are several items that I find that takes away from a performance machine. My constant complaining of the overboosted steering is just one.

Someone said the RSX has firmed up steering feel. I may trade in my ITR just on that fact if everything else remains about the same. However, when I was looking at it yesterday, I noticed that the RSX's steering wheel is a little smaller than the ITR. This may also contribute to a higher steering effort. I also read on http://www.vtec.net that Honda redesgined the new Civic's PS pump and rack to improve steering feel. So it looks like Honda is finally paying attention to what BMW has done flawlessly for so long .... well save for the first year E46s.

A while back someone posted a dyno of an RSX-S vs a Type-R done on the same day, on the same dyno. The striking this was the ~10 ft-lbs of torque advantage the RSX-S had over the R below 5600 RPM. The advantage from 5600 to redline was around ~3 ft-lbs.

I remember thinking then that the RSX would probably be very competetive on an autocross, where the extra torque advantage lower down will help it pull out of slow speed corners a lot better than the current R. This has to be balanced with the R having an LSD that lets is put it's power to the ground more efficiently. It's hard to know which is the better car in the situation. Do you have any input? I'd love to hear your experience.

However, on a road course, the extra weight will probably cancel out the torque advantage. However, then there's the gearing on the RSX-S. So many questions....

As far as the chasis stiffness is concerned, the RSX is indeed a lot more stiff than the standard 3rd gen Integra, but the Type-R is a lot more (50% more) than the other Integras. I'm sure the new ITR is a better can (1 second on Honda's track, if you go by Best Motoring testing) than the old ITR. I was trying to think out the RSX-S vs the current Type-R.

[Modified by R748, 10:02 AM 9/15/2001]

[Modified by R748, 10:03 AM 9/15/2001]
Old 09-15-2001, 05:42 PM
MIA
New User

Default Re: Please give me a reason to get a RSX-S (R748)

Suppose to test the RSX-S on SAT, but no luck.. all sold out.. of course nothing can compare to the R, i also have to remember the the current RSX is the same as in Japan and a the US, and close enough to the 2002 R.
Just remember this.. im looking for a car that is in teh $20-$30K range. What other car can be define in this class with equal strenghts, w/o breaking my wallet and busting my *** off on OT... helpppppp.....

Punk- still keeping your R? How's Rachael?

Quick Reply: Please give me a reason to get a RSX-S