Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Lets Talk About Brakes....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 01:45 AM
J5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets Talk About Brakes....

posting here because i cant post in the suspension, wheels and tires thread. (mods feel free to move this) yesterday a couple of buddies of mine, sti, evo, 944 and my self were out in the back roads hit'n the corners, doing alittle spirited driving. we came to this location called Devils lake where we encountered eight of the most tight turns i have ever come upon and all were banked, kinda reseamble the touge, needless to say we were hit'n it hard back and forth. once we got done we decided to park, i pull up in the parking lot and i see all my friends running towards my car and pointing. im like wtf. got out of my car and noticed my rotor and clipars were smokin (pics of this are coming).

is there anything i can do to help me stop better/ quicker? like better brake pads, if so what kind? jdm brake air duct are on the way....

thank for reading....(sti owners are pussies, well just the guy that hangs out with us, didnt even hit the corners)

Johnny M.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:25 AM

Default Re: Lets Talk About Brakes.... (J5)

The JDM ducts are a good upgrade to keep the brakes cool.You might want to get slotted or drilled rotors, they won't help you stop any quicker but they do stay cooler.As for pads or even upgrading the calipers that depends on how much $$$ you want to spend.There are a ton of brake kits and pads out there maybe someone has a better idea of which are good ones.I was thinking of upgrading my brakes too.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:56 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i pull up in the parking lot and i see all my friends running towards my car and pointing. im like wtf. got out of my car and noticed my rotor and clipars were smokin.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1.Although almost all your braking is done by the front brakes, you should still not use your parking brake after driving that hard. Clamping your calipers tight against the rotors after hard driving will cause problems, including burning the pads and warping the calipers.

2. It's always a good idea to drive around at slow speeds for a couple of minutes after driving like that. If you go from hard all-out driving to standstill, you can get the same situation on the front brakes that you'd get on the rear brakes from using the hand brake.

3. If you have driven at near-race conditions and then driven straight to paddock and sat there for a few seconds with your foot on the brakes, you could create a hot spot so bad that you will not just warp the rotor, you could actually burn the piston seals on the caliper, and brake fluid could actually leak out onto the rotor, causing quite a cloud of burning brake fluid, and requiring a caliper rebuild. I'm not saying that's what you did...that's a worst case scenario.

4. If you are going to make a habit of driving like that, consider upgrading to better brake pads (http://www.cobaltfriction.com) and better brake fluid (ATE Super Blue or the equivalent Motul). Unlike the other poster, I do <u>not</u> like slotted or drilled rotors on a street car or even a light track car, because that kind of upgrade actually lengthens the stopping distance.

5. Stop driving like that on the Queen's highway before you kill somebody, you bloody freaking lunatic.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:31 AM

Devil's Lake...ahhh yes i remember these turns now i used to live in Lodi so i went up to devils lake quite often.

Modified by 02CivicSi at 8:55 AM 4/25/2004
Old 04-25-2004, 08:35 AM
Kal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

better fluid, brembo blanks, SS braided brake lines are a good combo. but if you really wanna be stopping quicker get brembo calipers from the dc5r
Old 04-25-2004, 12:29 PM
J5

where do i get brembo rotors?
Old 04-25-2004, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with grandpa. Cobalt Friction has a good set up for you. Give Andy a call and ask about Cobalt's GT-Sport brake pad and ATE super blue brake fluid along with StopTech SS brake Lines. He will give you a very good price.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:06 PM
Kal

Default Re: (J5)

http://www.importrp.com/man.ph...rembo
Old 04-26-2004, 02:11 AM
J5

cool thanks, does brembo make blanks or sloted for the fronts?
Old 04-26-2004, 04:05 AM

great info grandpa!

would you recomend any big brake setup? like a 4 piston upgrade from willwood? or would you say no to that on any street car as well?
Old 04-26-2004, 06:04 AM
Kal

Default Re: (kwik2nec)

you don't need a big brake set up, it's more for show than anything.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:39 AM

Default Re: (Kal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you don't need a big brake set up, it's more for show than anything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

there isn't a NEED for alot of things, but i'm asking if big brakes help.

do you roadrace?
Old 04-26-2004, 06:45 AM
Kal

Default Re: (kwik2nec)

a good setup like what grandpa and i stated will be enough for road racing. the big brake setups are always nicer but you will never reach the full potential on just the road, corey (prelude moderator, H2 track race winner) does not use a big brake set up but just upgraded rotors, lines, brake fluid and he drives his car hard on the track.

unless you're running in some heavy competition like the SCCA races I see on speed channel, a set up with upgraded components (rotors, SS lines, and fluid) will be sufficient.

edit: haven't had any problems with racing with the upgrade setup.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:05 AM

Default Re: (Kal)

understood. thanks
Old 04-26-2004, 08:52 PM

The smoke that was emitted is actually the brake pads burning. Getting some new pads will help with the problem. Calipers and rotors are a definite plus, but pads alone as of now is a good start. That should help with that smoking problem.