Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

HELP! weak start/no start - IAT/Mass airflow sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 HELP! weak start/no start - IAT/Mass airflow sensor?

I have a big problem on my hands, please see if you guys might know what could be going on.
My base RSX has been starting weak, or not starting at all. It sounds like it's cranking very weak or not cranking at all, just one grunt and that's it.

Basically I've been driving with the IAT/Mass airflow sensor disconnected since June. I tried to fix it and reconnect it with a friend today. Had to rig the pigtails in a weird way but it seems to be connected. I went to autozone to see if they could turn the check engine light off. He said they can't but checked my codes anyways. I flashed IAT sensor high voltage and A/F sensor 1 heater system malfunction. After I left Autozone my check engine light went off. Idk if he turned it off or if it went off by itself.

I just got home and it's not starting again. It seems to not start at night when it is below freezing. During the day when it's warmer it's better. Once it's running it runs fine, good idle, no loss in power, perfect.

So my question is did I mess something up by running with no IAT sensor for so long. If so what could it be? Or is this something else.

Really would appreciate any help guys, this is a horrible time for this to happen to me.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:12 AM
Function > Form

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP! weak start/no start - IAT/Mass airflow sensor?

Sounds like your battery is crapping out. My car had similar symptoms and then one day it just wouldn't start. I changed the battery and it's been fine ever since. It was weird because lights wouldn't be dim or anything, it just wouldn't have enough cold crank amps to start in the cold. Try a new battery, if anything it might be a good idea for you if the battery is still stock, so it's not really a waste if it doesn't solve the problem.