Notices
Acura NSX Honda / Acura NSX 1990 - 2005 || Honda / Acura NSX 2017 -

???s from a prospective buyer

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ???s from a prospective buyer

Hi everyone, bear with the newb questions here but the NSX is one of the rarest hondas around and I figured this would be a great place to come for some education. I've owned multiple B series hondas and an '07 s2000 but im finally in a situation where an NSX is a realistic possibility. A first gen is my only possibility financially wise so my questions will be aimed that way.

-Obviously most of the cars are well taken care of at least cosmetically even with higher mileage but how do they old up even with higher mileage. My main concern is spending the money and not having to spend a lot more right off the bat.
- I have minimal experience with them but how are getting parts for them?
- I am a tall individual and my s2000 was a tight fit but as this will not be a daily driver being tight is tolerable for me but i have read in the past that the nsx is smaller than the s2000 inside, if so how much smaller?
- Does anyone have any experience with banks lending on these cars?
- And the general question, what to look for when looking at them? I remember honda tuning having an article within the last fews years that was sort of a buyer's guide on the nsx does anyone remember what year/month that was?

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ???s from a prospective buyer

Pretty sure it was the October issue in '08, good luck with your search
Old 11-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Youre gonna spend money either up front buying the car, or getting one cheaper then putting more in it to get it up to par. Timing belt and water pump... about $2000 job. All 23 coolant hoses... another expensive job. You wanna check the climate control unit, and bose factory speakers. If you spend more up front a well documented, serviced car, you can just jump in and enjoy the car. If you get a cheaper one with no service history or documentation, you better have about $5000 set aside to have the deferred maintenance completed.

As far as banks go, most regular banks wont lend due to the age. My credit union goes by kbb not age of car. Best advice on that is just to call around to different banks and credit unions.

Hope that helps. Also check out NSXprime.com Lots of good info there.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks gentleman for the help!

Counter question, how is working on these cars? I have a good amount of experience working on the B motors and a little on the F22 from my s2k I had but just wondering if these cars are a whole different world or similar in ways?

One more question are there any colors/color combos that are rare to come by or most common?

Thanks again
Old 11-24-2011, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wrayzor
Thanks gentleman for the help!

Counter question, how is working on these cars? I have a good amount of experience working on the B motors and a little on the F22 from my s2k I had but just wondering if these cars are a whole different world or similar in ways?

One more question are there any colors/color combos that are rare to come by or most common?

Thanks again
As far as working on the cars, its still honda, but if you screw up an engine, its not like replacing a B-series... theres another zero in the price. lol

As far as colors go, the earlier year cars really didnt have anything rare, although Grand Prix White seems to be the hardest to find. Later years there was Brooklands Green, any of the blues, and probably the rarest is Imola Orange Pearl.

Also if youre looking at a 91-92 make sure its either not in snap ring range or else if was fixed.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Categoryurchasing_an_NSX