Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

What other cams besides the CTR cams are just drop-in and play for the ITR???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What other cams besides the CTR cams are just drop-in and play for the ITR???

Without doing any other powertrain stuff like retainers, springs.

I know the CTR intake cam will boost performance but very little with only the 3 degrees of duration. And after looking at all the posts about the CTR cams I see that their price is not worth it for the gains.

My idea was to drop in the CTR cam and a reprogrammed OBD2 from a 98 ITR and some cam gears and some tuning.

What is worth it along these lines and needs minimal tuning.

Oh and I have experienced Toda B's so I know what to expect with that setup. I know I will not have that drastic of a change but what will give a little more noticeable performance for my R?

Thanks guys,

A.

PS and as always If you don't know or are NOT a positive contributing member then "Go Away!" All others thanks again.

[Modified by 1GreyTeg, 3:26 PM 8/25/2001]
Old 08-25-2001, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: What other cams besides the CTR cams are just drop-in and play for the ITR??? (1GreyTeg)

well there are 89 b16a cams, 94+ GSR cams, B17A cams...those are all drop in n' play cams

CTR/ITR cams are a way good & affordable upgrade..but if you own an ITR already...your right.. it's not really worth it /3 degrees if duration - you basically have "R" cams already. CTR cams are no biggie when compared to ITR cams...

Toda B's are drop in n' play - but of course if you want the most extracted power, dyno + camsprockets + an ECU upgrade is needed (prefferably an OBD2-OBD1).
Vtec crossover on Toda B's are best when in the 6000 range from past dyno test tuning I've seen.

You ever try a set of Spoon sticks?
They're Honda cams made for Spoon, using Spoon's specs...

Old 08-25-2001, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What other cams besides the CTR cams are just drop-in and play for the ITR??? (Katman)

Thanks

Are the Spoons drop in too? and what kinda gains are they worth? Ialready have a Spoon header and am pleased with their products so far why not go for more Spoon stuff? I plan on leaving the OEM ECU stock now, the future may hold something different but for now I'm looking for an extra Kick in the A$$ after the header install.

BTW my ride in the Toda B car was awesome. I just don't want to go as far as the guy who had em did... My R is a daily commuter and I don't have the downtime for tuning. I also don't want to compromise reliability. No BS here I know that other cams are reliable but, I thought that if the CTR's were drop in and play then they would be a good match.

Tell me more about the Spoon cams. "right now I'm lookin at em on their site."

Thanks again,

A.
Old 08-25-2001, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What other cams besides the CTR cams are just drop-in and play for the ITR??? (1GreyTeg)

Ok so I'm lookin at the PICS of the Spoon cams on their home site and the ones on IPS racings site and I see that the B16 is supposedly bumped 18 WHP? Is this true? And if so what would be the gains for the ITR?

Are the 18 WHP gains for the B16 to a totally stock engine with just the Spoon cams dropped in?

I'll take 18 WHP or even 10WHP... Especially for a Drop-in mod.

A.
Old 08-25-2001, 03:12 PM
I said I don't want a title!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toda Spec A's are the best cam for p'n'p in an ITR, period. All you need are cam gears, I-H-E and a bit of dyno tuning and you'll be looking at 180-185 at the wheels or so. Spec B's will make more power, but you gotta spend some $$ on motor/ecu upgrades to get it.
Old 08-25-2001, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

any aftermarket cams are "drop in" if they are specifically for a B-series engine. If you mean --drop in and needs no tuning-- that's different, I don't even think there's such a thing as that besides stock cams.

but yes..the Spoon cams can "drop into" your ITR engine. They bump up some beefy mid range....from the *** dyno..I don't know anyone who's dyno'd Spoons on an ITR engine though. You can totally tell a difference with Spoons vs. R cams.

Have you tried a lightend flywheel yet ?
if not, you should - that's something you can totally feel and is worth the money (well not the $400 ones) - even getting your stock f.wheel down to about 12-13lbs is totally noticeable. Acceleration feels a lot better.

-k
Old 08-26-2001, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All cams need tuning to get the max power from them. I think what he is asking for those cams that doesn't need valvetrain mods in order to use. SPOON doesn't need valvetrain mods for an ITR. U can rev it up to 9000rpm with OE ITR valve springs and stuff safely. Only ITR can do so, u can't do that on a B16 or B18 u can't pass 8,200rpm with them.

Pls visit http://www.spoon-sports.com and contact me at spoonek4@hotmail.com for further info.
Old 08-26-2001, 01:48 AM
Banned

Location: at last finally back to sweet home, sunny north cali, usa
Default Re: What other cams besides the CTR cams are just drop-in and play for the ITR??? (spoonek4)

If anything B16A likes high revs more than ITR due to the geometry. My B16A is 85k miles now. 9000 rpm road racing all day long, even in 100F weather. No oil cooler and still on the relatively small dual core delsol radiator... for a piece of mind that's next on the upgrade list... Internally it is stock except for valvetrain upgrade (valve spring, retainer, LMA, cams).

A great drop in cam (you can keep the stock ITR springs) that people on this board mostly ignores is the Skunk2 cam. It has slightly more lift than CTR cams, but a lot more duration. Also if you take a look at the profile, it is not as harsh (agreesive) as CTR during the initial opening. That's why you can actually run them with stock valve train even on B16A/B18's valve springs (dual intake spring, single exhaust spring)

Ohh wait i see what you're saying. You mean stock B16A/B18C valve train isn't good pass 8200 rpm. Actually I ran mine stock valve train with prototype skunk2 cams back in 1999 for several months. Rev it to 8500 all the times, and 8800 on occasion. It will hold, just feels scary. ITR valve springs are cheap insurence, and they work very well.

Old 08-26-2001, 08:37 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: What other cams besides the CTR cams are just drop-in and play for the ITR??? (frank@b16a.com)

I would say go with the Spoon Cams
Old 08-26-2001, 10:20 AM
New User

Default Re: What other cams besides the CTR cams are just drop-in and play for the ITR??? (TypeRmsm)

I run the Skunk cams. I got increase of almost 20 in the midrange and 15 up top. Not bad for what most consider these to be similar to Toda Spec A's. These are good cams.

With any cam in order to get the full potential you must tune them on a dyno.