Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Rollbar in Type-R (did some research already, few qustions)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rollbar in Type-R (did some research already, few qustions)

I read some posts in the comptetition forum about roll bars and cages, and had some questions regarding install in a Type-R. I was looking at the Autopower bars; more specifcally the Street model and Race model. One of my main reasons for getting a rollbar is to be able to use a 4-point harness in the car, but in case the car were to flip, I don't want to be crushed because the harnesses held me in.

On the Autopower Race model, can you still have people sit in the back? Is this dangerous in case thye were to hit their head, is it possible?

Can I attach harnesses with the Street model, or is thta just with the race model?

Overall, what do you guys reccommend? Like I said, I want to be able to install a 4-point harness and the best way to do this seems to get a rollbar.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rollbar in Type-R (onyx00)

It's not the cross brace or the harness bar that presents a problem for the people in the back seat. The danger is the rear hoop support bars that go through to the rear wheel well, and the top of the main hoop itself. If you look at pictures of the back seat with a roll bar in place (check my ITRCA tutorial, or the new one at S&M), you'll see that everything sits squarely in the way of the people in the back seat. I mean, people will fit, don't get me wong, and if you pad the hell out of it it will be a tiny, tiny bit safer, but if safety is a concern at all, just don't take the chance. If you are in a major accident with people in the rear, the roll bar will just provide more solid metal for them to hit. I'll see if I can find a good pic so show you what I mean.

*edit*

Here's a good picture. Maybe you can picture what it would be like to have someone back there, even without the cross brace and harness bar:

In this pic, look how the rear support bars lean toward the rear passengers's head!!

[Modified by ITR#231, 6:07 PM 1/16/2002]
Old 01-16-2002, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rollbar in Type-R (ITR#231)

so basically if I want a roll bar I will have to sacrifice back seat passenger safety?
Old 01-16-2002, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Rollbar in Type-R (onyx00)

A rollbar that's worth anything will negate your back seats. With the autopower, you can remove the cross braces and free up the space in the middle...but you'll still have some angry bars back there, especially if you hit something and send their heads into the bar, padded or not.
Old 01-16-2002, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rollbar in Type-R (Aleph)

nice pics
Old 01-16-2002, 06:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: Drinking Beer in sunny FL and jamming to Skid Row, USA
Default Re: Rollbar in Type-R (Aleph)

A rollbar that's worth anything will negate your back seats. With the autopower, you can remove the cross braces and free up the space in the middle...but you'll still have some angry bars back there, especially if you hit something and send their heads into the bar, padded or not.
I agree with aleph. This is a safety device. It is not a safety device for back seat passengers. Merely have one of your friends drive who has a 4 seater, unless you have kids or something. In that case, take your gf/wife/etc's car.