Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

How to deal with Acura about getting my car running right?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 03:50 PM
Paragraph Alert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to deal with Acura about getting my car running right?

As I've posted before my car is having some misfiring and hesitation issues which are yet to be resolved. I have taken it to the dealer on a couple of occasions and they won't admit to any problem with the car unless it is throwing a code. The last time I took it too them they ended up just changing the spark plugs after three days and giving it back to me with a code (note that I took it to them without a code). The problems all started to occur after I took it to them for a tune up and valve adjustment. The car was misfiring a little when I brought it too them(ran a 14.0 with it like that), but after I got it back the car was 10times worse and now hesitates over 7k like it isn't getting enough air,fuel, or spark. Also when they changed my plugs this last time they found that the #1 plug was almost completely corroded away, even though they had just been changed a few thousand miles ago when I had the tune up. Funny, it seems like when I changed the plugs everything was fine, but when they change the plugs they burn up in less than 4k miles...hmmmm. Anyway instead of finding out what was causing the plug to do this they just changed the plugs , which got rid of the code for now.
Went out to the car today to check on the plugs and to my amazement found that 2 of my valve corver nuts were not on tight. I don't mean kind of lose, I mean they had about 1/4inch before they even begun to get snug. I went and got the camera and took before and after pics of the nuts. Not that this is a big issue (that I know of), but it shows how my dealer is treating my car. Now my dilema is what do I do? If I take it too them they just let it sit for a few days then tell me nothing is wrong because it isn't throwin a code. I want the car fixed and I don't care what they have to replace, but they say they can't just go trying out parts to see if it fixes the problem.

What do I need to do and who do I need to call? Isn't there some district rep or someone who can get it fixed, and should I take it to another dealer? They know I haven't over revved it by mishifting and have never ran it too low on oil so I think they just don't want to waster money on warranty issues. After getting killed by a Passat that runs 14.9's by more than a bus length I want something done and I want it done now. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:56 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to deal with Acura about getting my car running right? (ActiveAero)

Dont put up with their BS. As long as the car is stock and you have a warranty, they have to fix it. Just be persistent. Call them 10 times a day if you have to. Thats what I had to do to get my parts. And always try to speak to the highest in charge. Ask the service manager for his/her name and then ask for the number of their corporate office. Maybe you can scare him into fixin it.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:01 PM
I shoot brides

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: How to deal with Acura about getting my car running right? (ActiveAero)

I"d avoid the current dealer.

is there another dealer w/in a reasonable distance?
Old 01-16-2002, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to deal with Acura about getting my car running right? (JSpecwest)

Call Acura Customer Care and explain your problems with the dealerships lack of ability to diagnose a problem that occured after you had them service your car. Make sure you tell them that you didn't have this problem until after you took the car to them, they serviced the car, then the problem occured, and the dealership is unwilling to concede that there is actually a problem.
Austin
Old 01-16-2002, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I work at an Acura dealer as a technician and i think Jetydosa had the same problem with his ITR. I was the one who fixed his car. I basically followed the steps in the service manual & check the valve adjustment. I then consulted the Honda & Acura techline (available only to the dealer). They have a few things for me to check then we finally came to the conclusion that it was his distributor. I am not saying that your car has the same problem but there are steps that the dealer is supposed to take to repair your car especially if it is under warranty. If this still does not work take it to another dealer or bring it to the one i work at
Old 01-16-2002, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you considered the plug wires? Or, did they replace those during the tune-up?

I've experienced this in a Talon before and the dealer charged my brother twice for $60 tune-ups. I replaced the plug wires and the hesitation never came back.
Old 01-16-2002, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to deal with Acura about getting my car running right? (APEX i GSR)

Yeah I did have a similar problem, my car would hesitate all weird above 3500 or so when cold, and above 7500 it would hesitate all the time. Just like you said, like it wasnt getting enough fuel, spark or SOMEthing. The first local dealer gave me a hard time and said it was the header that was causing it ( even though I explained it was doing it before the header install). I eventually took it to the dealer where APEXiGSR works and they were great! Just like he said they called up techline, tried all kinds of stuff (at Acuras expense), fuel injectors, fuel pump etc. It ended up being the distributor, ignitor etc assembly. Id bitch them out and/or find another dealer.