Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Question on how long it takes for new springs to settle

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on how long it takes for new springs to settle

Well I put in the coilovers last night. According to Apexi the length that I set the coilovers at I should have a -35 mm drop front and rear. I set the correct length, but the car looks the same height as stock if not a little higher. So I decided that they might need time to settle. So overnight I let them sit, no change. I'm wondering if the springs will settle more over time, or if I need to adjust them again.

These are 8K springs in front and 3K in rear. Yeah i know the rates are whack. But I might be getting different springs to try out. This is a street setup only by the way.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:18 PM
.RJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question on how long it takes for new springs to settle (jdmspoonitr)

Good springs do not 'settle'

Did you drive the car around after you put the suspension in?
Old 02-24-2004, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question on how long it takes for new springs to settle (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good springs do not 'settle'

Did you drive the car around after you put the suspension in?</TD></TR></TABLE>

...yes, good springs should not settle and you should definitely take the car out for a drive and then see how the car sits.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question on how long it takes for new springs to settle (jdmspoonitr)

Drive the car around like .RJ said..

Ill add my dumb advice of the day, did you release the ebrake after you were done installing everything?

What is apex'i quoting a 35mm drop from? are they referring to an ITR or normal integra..

mind you the ITR is slightly lower, so 35mm drop for a GSR would be something like 20mm drop for us.

http://autopedia.com/Acura/97_TypeRPress.html

This is made possible by features such as: an overall vehicle weight reduction by 93 pounds (compared to the current Integra GS-R); lower overall vehicle height (by 15 mm compared to the GS-R)

For reference 20mm=.787 inches
Old 02-24-2004, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmspoonitr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
These are 8K springs in front and 3K in rear. Yeah i know the rates are whack. But I might be getting different springs to try out. This is a street setup only by the way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would try putting the 8k in rear 3k in front if you aren't satisfied.

That might be a lil overkill though considering

8k~448lb/in
3k~168lb/in
Old 02-24-2004, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question on how long it takes for new springs to settle (DsR)

Yep I drove it around last night after the install to see how stiff it was compared to stock. No change in height. And these are made for type-R and the instructions are Type-R specific.

The only problem is I can only read about 1/3 of the japanese. Basically it gives you the dimensions of two setups. One is for street, one is for circuit racing.

For the street setup, they give you the height from the bottom of the shock to the bottom locking ring. They give you all the torque specs too. With these instructions the street setup is supposed to give you a lower "trim height" as they call it. They define trim height as the center of the wheel to the top of the fender.

So I guess I'll just adjust it according to the lower jack points and make sure it's level.

I don't know if you guys saw my other post, but the stock suspension had my car sitting different from side to side. The heights were not the same like I would have thought. The driver side of the car was higher without me in it. So should I set the coilover height with a friend of the same weight as me in the driver seat?
Old 02-24-2004, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you have nearby facilities that can do it, CORNERWEIGHTING is highly recommended.

Setting ride height should be done according maximize even weight distribution.

When you are getting this done - you can set ride height to whatever you like using the adjustable spring perches.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question on how long it takes for new springs to settle (Big Phat R)

Yep that's what I'm planning on next month. But for now I just want something safe to set it at until I get to the race shop to get it cornerweighted.