Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

OT: itr vs cobalt ss

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OT: itr vs cobalt ss

Wow this thread went south fast.

Hey a Grand Cherokee SRT-8 is faster than a Cobalt SS/TC. I guess that makes it a better sports car, right?

BTW, it's not hyperbole to describe an ITR as the best handling FF car ever made, and probably the best that ever will be made, at least for a good long while.

Mechanically linked steering, <3000 lbs, fully independent suspension, > 100 hp/L, > 8000 rpm redline, LSD, genuinely race-tuned suspension, all in a car that happens to have impeccable ergonomics and doesn't have mass-transit grade interior materials. How often are you going to see that combination in the 21st century?

Modern cars suck. You have to go back in time to find a car more engaging to drive than an ITR, especially with FWD. It's not that ITR owners have rosy sunglasses -- it's actually just a fact.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:06 PM
I said I don't want a title!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GagnarTheUnruly
Wow this thread went south fast.
Yeah, that sometimes happens when certain users start posting in a thread.

Hey a Grand Cherokee SRT-8 is faster than a Cobalt SS/TC. I guess that makes it a better sports car, right?
Using the "faster" definition, yes...one could conclude this. So with that, the Ford lightening is also a superior vehicle.

Problem is, the Cobalt SS is only faster around certain tracks and the 1/4 mile. And the problem with that is how you define "faster". Around an autox course, a stock ITR is faster than a Cobalt SS, and I'd imagine there are some handling tracks where the ITR would also turn a better time.

Let's get it straight though, even the torque limited ITR will run a 1/4 mile in the low/mid 14 second range. When comparing, that really isn't a whole lot slower than the Cobalt SS.

BTW, it's not hyperbole to describe an ITR as the best handling FF car ever made, and probably the best that ever will be made, at least for a good long while.
With current crash standards, we'll never see a double wishbone FWD car in the 2500lb range again. It will take a switch to a different OEM mindset to be able to duplicate what was around in the late 90's.

And lol @ a strut FWD car being "better". Especially one that is heavier. By definition, a double-wishbone FWD chassis is superior to anything FWD mcstrut based.

Modern cars suck. You have to go back in time to find a car more engaging to drive than an ITR, especially with FWD. It's not that ITR owners have rosy sunglasses -- it's actually just a fact.
Agreed.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Explain how this went south? You two took this entire thread more off topic than anyone else. The "users" had a much better point, and actual facts to back it up. You two have a bunch of asinine jibber-jabber.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tight-R
Explain how this went south? You two took this entire thread more off topic than anyone else. The "users" had a much better point, and actual facts to back it up. You two have a bunch of asinine jibber-jabber.
LOL really? Jibber-jabber/off-topic you say?

Bunch of fatties up in here. OMGWTFBBQ someone just hurt your feelings. Reality bitches. Reality. Some of you live on a different planet it seems, surely you jest!
It's like you missed the first few pages of this thread. And going by your history, you like to come in and post such trivial nonsense as to stir up the thread.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow super creeper. My comment was merely taking something your thick head couldn't comprehend and simplize it for you. Your ego was hurt, and this is all you can come up with? Super stalker to the max.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In MY opinion, (and what has been stated.) you can't compare 10+year old technology with todays. Technology advances, that's life.
I also don't think you should compare a turbo car with a n/a car. Any car has the potential to be "fast," if you want to put the money into it.

When tight-r went on his fatty rant, I think it's hard to deny the fact that a point was made. And I'm not talking that Type R owners need to get off their "high horse" either; it was (to me) that there will always be someone faster,that is also apart of life. We just need to cope with that. haha.

And I understand in defending the legacy of the R. I always stand up for my car, even if I do believe the opposing statement. Why? Because I have my ish and they have theirs, and we stand up for what we like. haha.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:05 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/forums/general-discussion-debate-40/solid-american-sedan-3071930/

Old 07-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by George Knighton
that thread is 4 month younger than mine
i've already moved on made up my mind..
i just want the z06 i'm not a little boy anymore.. i love my r so i'll keep it but i'm buying a black on black z06 in future .
Old 07-13-2012, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tight-R
Wow super creeper. My comment was merely taking something your thick head couldn't comprehend and simplize it for you. Your ego was hurt, and this is all you can come up with? Super stalker to the max.
lol. I'm glad I didn't see this post earlier. But then again, introducing facts and 1st hand knowledge into your lightweight rhetoric and troll-bait posts would be a bit much for you, I suppose.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Late bump, but the Cobalt SS turbo is at top of the FWD food chain now

I would take a MR2 Spyder with a 2zz swap over a Type R anyday....Poor Mans Elise.... Only weighs 2195 lbs....Does take much to bring it to 2100 lbs and with boltons close to 200 flywheel horse power.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No matter what the Cobalt accomplishes, guess what? It's still... a Cobalt.

What's going to turn heads on the road? Not a Cobalt. Unless you're 19 and have no honest idea of what a true driving machine feels like.

/flamesuit
Old 03-27-2014, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Strike W
No matter what the Cobalt accomplishes, guess what? It's still... a Cavalier.

/flamesuit
FTFY
Old 03-27-2014, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

had a good laugh at that. well done