Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

ITR > S2K.. drove a 01 Today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys seem to keep saying the S2k performs better? My friend tells me different... he is really into dragracing and goes to the local dragstrip every weekend.

He beat a 2000 model that was stock with just an AEM Intake and header by about 3 car lenghts?? his run was 14.2 and the S2k was 14.6... even the RSX-S guys are running even with the S2ks out there..

He has seen S2ks run anywhere from 14.1 to 15.5.... being a capable ITR driver can achieve a 1/4 mile time of 14.4-5, i dont see the S2k being a high 13 sec car?? or beating an ITR by a substantial amount.

They are about 300lbs heavier aren't they?? i think its down to driver and launch... another thing is they usually dyno stock @ 195whp...

PS - If there are any S2k owners out here reading this in the Toronto area that would like a friendly run, gimme a shout @ skypaths@hotmail.com.. i have a few boltons and weight reduction and alot of confidence in my ITR = )

Modified by ITR9 at 8:43 PM 7/5/2005
Old 07-05-2005, 07:34 PM
thk
Members Only

Default Re: (davidnyc)

Damn stunna.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by davidnyc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also, I'll admit the S2K is just simply more of a "bling" car. I get SOOOOOO many compliments, that it strokes my ego. Sad to admit, but simply the straight truth. Part of owning a car is how much your ego gets stroked.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR9)

ITR9: Your friend can't handle the truth then, and neither can you it seems. And just for ***** and giggles, I have seen numerous high 13 second slips produced in STOCK s2000's,

Realize the R is inferior in this case, y0 !
Old 07-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn stunna.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, by the way, how is your Suzuka Blue S2K doing?? (which happens to be the exact copy of my blue S2K you bought after driving mine, just have to give people the his-story.... STUNNA !!!! lol!!! Oh - good news... the soon-to-be Mrs. is giving the green light to racing Just have to get the finances in order)

Old 07-05-2005, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR > S2K.. drove a 01 Today. (Big Phat R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Big Phat R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the 250 lb salesman is the problem

put 250lbs in your teg and see if it feels peppy</TD></TR></TABLE>

A turbo always cures that problem
Old 07-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR > S2K.. drove a 01 Today. (Bbasso)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bbasso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also had the pleasure of driving a S2000 a long time ago and kinda felt that the R had more "kick" to it ...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i've read that if you have a good tuner, you are not even supposed to feel the engagement of VTEC. it's supposed to be smooth all the way through. of course there is a jump, but i still think that the s2k &gt; ITR.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:11 PM

Default Re: ITR > S2K.. drove a 01 Today. (eMpAtHy)

Aimed to me?

I just said "kick" Nothing more...

Old 07-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR > S2K.. drove a 01 Today. (m R g S r)

Neither the R or S2k are "good" drag cars...too difficult to launch, with such high hp/torque peaks. You will get times all over the place for both cars.

The S2k will hand the R its *** in autox (check a Natl Tour or Topeka event near you), ie aforementioned AS vs DS comparison.

I dont understand why its even debated.

Does that make want one? No. I dont like convertibles and its too small for me. Plus the hatch on the Teg rocks for taking tires to the track
Old 07-05-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Re: ITR > S2K.. drove a 01 Today. (JasmaDosa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JasmaDosa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Neither the R or S2k are "good" drag cars...too difficult to launch, with such high hp/torque peaks. You will get times all over the place for both cars.

The S2k will hand the R its *** in autox (check a Natl Tour or Topeka event near you), ie aforementioned AS vs DS comparison.

I dont understand why its even debated.

Does that make want one? No. I dont like convertibles and its too small for me. Plus the hatch on the Teg rocks for taking tires to the track </TD></TR></TABLE>

I can vouch for the s2k in the drag racing its difficult ive had my s2k for about 4 months now and its alot different from fwd alot more involved in launching the car and i came to the realization that its not a drag car is a track car 50/50 weight distrubution rwd i mean these cars are in 2 different classes.

Im not hating on the ITR i mean its a amazing what it can do it definitly one of or if not the best fwd cars out there but from stock to stock vs an s2k it will not win
Old 07-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR > S2K.. drove a 01 Today. (eMpAtHy)

This is correct. In my old motor that made 216whp you could not feel the crossover and it was hard to see the crossover in the dyno graphs. Most of the fastest cars on the track have a very smooth powerband. For autocross this is especially important.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR > S2K.. drove a 01 Today. (GZR4DR)

the people that said "ITR &gt; S2K" are the same stunnaz that think that not even the NSX/JZA80 Supra TT/GT3 are worthy ITR replacements.

ignorance is bliss i guess
Old 07-06-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Re: ITR > S2K.. drove a 01 Today. (fuko)

I wonder what happens if this post was on the S2k forum.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITR9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You guys seem to keep saying the S2k performs better? My friend tells me different... he is really into dragracing and goes to the local dragstrip every weekend.

He beat a 2000 model that was stock with just an AEM Intake and header by about 3 car lenghts?? his run was 14.2 and the S2k was 14.6... even the RSX-S guys are running even with the S2ks out there..

He has seen S2ks run anywhere from 14.1 to 15.5.... being a capable ITR driver can achieve a 1/4 mile time of 14.4-5, i dont see the S2k being a high 13 sec car?? or beating an ITR by a substantial amount.

They are about 300lbs heavier aren't they?? i think its down to driver and launch... another thing is they usually dyno stock @ 195whp...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes! Finally a real life drag racing comparison!

Ok, so did you know that there is at least one ITR on here that ran a 24.x quarter mile? Does that make ITRs slower than Geo Storms?

With a good driver in both who knows how to drive the car, an AP1 and ITR will be about equal in a drag race. An AP2 will beat the ITR every time. The problem is most owners of S2000's aren't willing to launch the car to get the best time, but that doesn't mean they are slow.

AP2's are supposed to be high high 13 second cars, but they usually run 14-14.1 stock. It's rare to find an ITR running that stock.

AP2's also dyno at 210ish stock on a dynojet.

David and ken did put it very nicely. Both are really good cars, just not for the same reason, and I def. agree with the RWD comments regarding them requiring more skill and attention to drive at the limit compared to an ITR.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:24 AM

why can't people have their own opinions, in my review and experiences driving.. ID TAKE AN ITR OVER A S2K ANYWAY.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITR9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why can't people have their own opinions, in my review and experiences driving.. ID TAKE AN ITR OVER A S2K ANYWAY.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Uhmm, ok, none of us really care. We are replying to your arguements which don't hold up well, not that you'd take an ITR over an S2k (which again, is something that I seriously doubt any of us care one bit about).
Old 07-06-2005, 04:30 AM

AP1 is the 2.0l version, AP2 is the 2.2 right??

I don't care if you care or not, im just replying to fukos regarding my ITR&gt;S2K comment...

Old 07-06-2005, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITR9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">AP1 is the 2.0l version, AP2 is the 2.2 right??

I don't care if you care or not, im just replying to fukos regarding my ITR&gt;S2K comment...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, AP1 = 2000-2003, AP2 = 04-current.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dave-ROR)

This is an ironic thread. My dad just purchased an 2002 s2k last week, and I had the opportunity to take it out for a while this weekend and get a good basis for comparison.

My first impressions were that it did need to be "rev'd" to get the most power out of it. It didn't have the raw feeling of the ITR, but definitely not gutless. I did, however, feel that my ITR was a bit more "peppy" at low RPM's, probably only because of my light flywheel. So basically, at low-RPM's I prefer the feel my ITR, at high RPM's, the s2k takes the cake.

Old 07-06-2005, 05:31 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ebelp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITR9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You guys seem to keep saying the S2k performs better? My friend tells me different...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then your friend is wrong.

This is the problem with using anecdotal evidence to make allegations that one car accelerates faster than another. Sure, on any given day, that can be correct, as Dave-ROR points out. There are too many variables when you make claims based on what happened on one particular day with one particular driver - driver skill (BIG variable), aftermarket equipment, tires, weather conditions, fluids full vs near empty, stuff removed from the car, and on and on and on.

That's why the magazine tests are useful in comparing cars with each other without all those other variables. Magazines test the cars bone stock, with the stock tires, with all standard equipment in the car, full fluids, same professional drivers, etc. That's why magazine test numbers are pretty consistent (within a tenth or two) from one magazine test to another to another. And, as previously pointed out, the magazine tests consistently show an advantage of about 0.7 second to the S2000 over the ITR, in the quarter mile (14.1-14.2 vs 14.8-14.9) as well as in 0-60 (5.4-5.6 vs 6.1-6.4).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITR9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They are about 300lbs heavier aren't they??</TD></TR></TABLE>

No. The S2000 is 170 pounds heavier (curb weight 2809 vs 2639 pounds). So the S2000 is 6 percent heavier, and has 23 percent more horsepower - a trade-off that most of us would gladly take.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fuko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the people that said "ITR &gt; S2K" are the same stunnaz that think that not even the NSX/JZA80 Supra TT/GT3 are worthy ITR replacements.</TD></TR></TABLE>

In all fairness, I don't think anyone claimed that the ITR is faster than any of those other three cars. That discussion was entirely subjective, and all comes down to what your personal opinion of the word "worthy" is.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITR9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why can't people have their own opinions, in my review and experiences driving.. ID TAKE AN ITR OVER A S2K ANYWAY.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Most of us did. For all kinds of reasons.

I consider the S2000 similar to the NSX - a perfect second car. It's great for a mountain ride on a sunny day. But there are too many situations in which the ITR is more suitable - going somewhere with your GF and your two big dogs, driving in snow, driving in a track event where they don't allow convertibles, etc. The ITR is far more versatile and meets those other needs better than the S2000 (which is why I have one, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard). That doesn't mean the ITR is a better car, though.

There is no single car that is always a better car; it depends on the situation and how you're going to use it. The ITR may be quicker than a Suburban, but the Suburban can tow the ITR, and not vice versa. On the drag strip, the S2000 is the better car. On the road course, it depends on whether the S2000 is allowed to drive. Overall? Neither is "better"; it depends on how you want to use it, and which is better for your particular needs.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:55 AM

i have driven both cars as well and while drivn the s2k all i can think about is the R it reminds me alot of the R. On thing i cant stand about the s2k is there is no low or midrange power at all its sad when u step on it at 4k and it hardly moves, u gotta get the damn thing up to 8k before she starts raisin hell. the things i do like about the s2k are.. the bling factor convertable, the gearbox is amazing, and its rwd and not scared to go sideways
Old 07-06-2005, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR > S2K.. drove a 01 Today. (fuko)

S2k is a great car. I think the newer model is even better w/ a larger displacement.

ITR vs. S2K = apples & oranges.

When comparing stock vs. stock, there is one thing that ITR is hands-down better than a S2k... Superior Brakes. ITR will run laps on S2K because of its better brake system. But, most people only care about going fast, so whatever.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:43 AM

Apples to oranges, my friend.

You're comparing an FF to an FR. VERY different. Both cars are outstanding though, I'd take either.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1115R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1115R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have driven both cars as well and while drivn the s2k all i can think about is the R it reminds me alot of the R. On thing i cant stand about the s2k is there is no low or midrange power at all its sad when u step on it at 4k and it hardly moves, u gotta get the damn thing up to 8k before she starts raisin hell. the things i do like about the s2k are.. the bling factor convertable, the gearbox is amazing, and its rwd and not scared to go sideways</TD></TR></TABLE>

Drive the 2.2l, a lot of your concerns on the midrange will likely be fixed.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR > S2K.. drove a 01 Today. (Cosworth)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cosworth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">S2k is a great car. I think the newer model is even better w/ a larger displacement.

ITR vs. S2K = apples & oranges.

When comparing stock vs. stock, there is one thing that ITR is hands-down better than a S2k... Superior Brakes. ITR will run laps on S2K because of its better brake system. But, most people only care about going fast, so whatever. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The brakes themselves aren't superior, however the ITR brake system is configured better for track use. S2K brakes are just fine on the street, like GS-R brakes, but neither are as good as the ITR on the track. However, brakes are something that can be fixed if you know what you are doing. Stock vs stock I agree with you though.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

drive an 04-05 and u will like it a lot more.

Quick Reply: ITR > S2K.. drove a 01 Today.