Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

im confusing about a tranny sound (bearing)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im confusing about a tranny sound (bearing)

ive been trying to search the forums for the past two days (search is still broken).

im a bit confused about what this bearing sound is...

in neutral with the clutch out it makes a tiny noise, where as if you put the clutch in it's goine...i thought that would be the throwout/realease bearing; but people are saying it's the input shaft bearing...

also when driving in low rpms in 1st, 2nd, 3rd i hear kind of a winding sound coming from the transmission...any clue what that would be? normal noise maybe?

there is a warranty on the transmission with acura and i want to go there tomorrow and not look like a fool and claiming it to be the wrong bearing making noises...
Old 09-29-2006, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: im confusing about a tranny sound (crxgator)

does it sound like someone is ice skating in your tranny?

most likely its the input shaft bearing
Old 09-29-2006, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my trans has always been loud and I always thought it was normal. its not loud while coasting in Neutral though.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxgator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive been trying to search the forums for the past two days (search is still broken).

im a bit confused about what this bearing sound is...

in neutral with the clutch out it makes a tiny noise, where as if you put the clutch in it's goine...i thought that would be the throwout/realease bearing; but people are saying it's the input shaft bearing...

also when driving in low rpms in 1st, 2nd, 3rd i hear kind of a winding sound coming from the transmission...any clue what that would be? normal noise maybe?

there is a warranty on the transmission with acura and i want to go there tomorrow and not look like a fool and claiming it to be the wrong bearing making noises...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldnt say anything to the dealership, I would just say there is a noise.....please fix it!
Old 09-29-2006, 06:48 AM

Default Re: im confusing about a tranny sound (walker111)

ill see if i can record the sounds while driving...maybe it's normal...

and yeah youre right ill just say, "i hear a noise, fix it please..."
Old 09-29-2006, 07:14 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxgator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ill see if i can record the sounds while driving...maybe it's normal...

and yeah youre right ill just say, "i hear a noise, fix it please..."</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto.... play stupid and determind aboout the noise , its gets you farther at Acura..
"man, i just want that noise to stop!"
Old 09-29-2006, 09:57 AM

i made a video...the noise when im moving the car is mroe of the tranny than the actual engine...

only 1.92 mb

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=4gh9quh
Old 09-29-2006, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had my speakers all the way up and I couldnt really hear what you were talking about. I didnt see you even start moving until the very end?
Old 09-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxgator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i made a video...the noise when im moving the car is mroe of the tranny than the actual engine...

only 1.92 mb

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=4gh9quh</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hear the noise, and I have the same noise at times, in neutral with the clutch out.. but not as loud as that.

I assume you were depressing the clutch pedal a few times in the vid, while still parked?
Old 09-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: im confusing about a tranny sound (330R)

I was hearing the exact same noise as you in the same manner a few years ago. After awhile my tranny went out. Not trying to scare you or anything but that's just my experience. Somethings definitely not right.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:15 AM

Hi,
I think i have the same problem as you, here is a link to my video and you can see if its the same noise ..

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1563355

You can search in the archive for posts created my Crafte and see some of my other post regarding this problem. I've haven't found a real solution, but people have thrown out the idea of a mainshaft bearing in the tranny.

The interesting part is, I took it to the acura dealer and he said he has a SI with a diff in it and it makes the same noise. He says its because the diff isn't spinning as fast and its normal for the gears to knock. I highly doubt it, but I'm not sure. My problem doesn't happen at idle as you said though.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:38 AM

Default Re: im confusing about a tranny sound (Crafte)

for me it's the input shaft and it's not covered under warranty like the previous owner said it would be...

so basically, i have to work on this...
Old 10-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Welcome to the club.

My tranny has this too.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default added

At 51k I had to replace four bearings in my trans. I also replaced the throw out bearing and pilot bearing. If they open your trans I would try to show up and look at the insides myself.

Also mine has no noises now. Its been about 1000 miles since.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: added (01usjdmr)

i found if you drive the car hard the noise gets louder. my i had 56k on my si when i first found that noise from the transmission and replaced with a new itr trans found after 3k of track use and 8k total it was making the same noise. i have never seen a failure due to this noise.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: im confusing about a tranny sound (BlueR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does it sound like someone is ice skating in your tranny?

most likely its the input shaft bearing</TD></TR></TABLE>

hear hear
Old 10-02-2006, 05:04 AM

Default Re: im confusing about a tranny sound (uNF$@#!)

ok i did some searching on what to replace, on FAQ topic says 1 bearing, but one in the ITR forum the guy points out two bearings and a seal to replace?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxgator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i did some searching on what to replace, on FAQ topic says 1 bearing, but one in the ITR forum the guy points out two bearings and a seal to replace?</TD></TR></TABLE>

This IS the itr forum, but I'm assuming someone moved the thread.....

There are several bearings inside the transmission... it is often hard to tell which bearing is causing this noise - but rest assured that it is at least one which is doing so. The longer you wait, the worse it gets - and it will eventually sieze or fail in some detrimental manner.

The BEST solution is to remove the transmission and open the case. Then inspect EACH bearing to determine which it is. You will know immediately because of how it feels when you spin the bearing.

That having been said, I can tell you that I have seen and heard a similar noise on a fellow itr owners' tranny. Upon removal and disassembly, we noticed that his differential bearings AND mainshaft bearings felt gritty... so we replaced them along with the pilot bearing and throwout bearing (and clutch).

I have heard from other itr owners that their mainshaft bearings have gone out - either on the input shaft side, or at the other end.

If you have a good set of sockets, a big bag of determination, and willingness to tackle this yourself - then you should have no problems sorting out this affair.

-hth
Old 10-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: im confusing about a tranny sound (Black R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This IS the itr forum, but I'm assuming someone moved the thread.....

There are several bearings inside the transmission... it is often hard to tell which bearing is causing this noise - but rest assured that it is at least one which is doing so. The longer you wait, the worse it gets - and it will eventually sieze or fail in some detrimental manner.

The BEST solution is to remove the transmission and open the case. Then inspect EACH bearing to determine which it is. You will know immediately because of how it feels when you spin the bearing.

That having been said, I can tell you that I have seen and heard a similar noise on a fellow itr owners' tranny. Upon removal and disassembly, we noticed that his differential bearings AND mainshaft bearings felt gritty... so we replaced them along with the pilot bearing and throwout bearing (and clutch).

I have heard from other itr owners that their mainshaft bearings have gone out - either on the input shaft side, or at the other end.

If you have a good set of sockets, a big bag of determination, and willingness to tackle this yourself - then you should have no problems sorting out this affair.

-hth</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have the same problem, but how easy is it to fix/replace the parts yourself? My dads friend is a mechanic and works on my car whenever I need help wih it (He's the one who said it was the throwout bearing in the first place). Any idea on how much it's going to cost?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:56 PM

Default Re: im confusing about a tranny sound (Black R)

well what sucks about this situation is that this is my only car, and i really cant afford to be out...i guess im going to have to purchase a spare tranny, put that in and then rebuild this one...idk...im not happy right now...

thanks for the advice though...
Old 10-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

once we start getting into how complicated it is, and the cost, then I suggest you look at my thread (and others') in the archives.....