Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

I Have A Question About My Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Have A Question About My Flywheel

Whats up i have a question....ive been searching about Lightweight flywheels on this site and alot of people say when u put a lightweight flywheel on in most cases it will make ur launches BOG like for drag racing due to the fact the flywheel is too light for the setup....Now my question is will a Toda Racing Lightweight Flywheel cause my setup here to bog when drag racing ??? one guy i read even said when he had a lightweight flywheel i forgot which brand he said he would literally launch at 7k and still BOG wtf ??? do u guys think that will happen to my setup or should i get a ITR flywheel instead?

GSR Motor
Intake
DC 4-1 Header
Custom 2.5" Exhaust
Act 4 puck Clutch
Toda Racing Lightweight Flywheel

will the Toda Racing Flywheel BOG my setup on the launches????

Old 08-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I Have A Question About My Flywheel (Got Milk)

Won't bog.... just launch higher.....

I think those people who have lighter flywheels and stall, or say they burn out clutches faster....or some other weird wack nonsense are either driving 1.5L SOHC cars (like I am)

or need to seriously evaluate their driving....

I have a Integra at home with a 8.8lb CM alum. unit and love it and actually got rid of my Spoon unit for it....

Old 08-22-2004, 10:59 PM

Comptech which I have is the lightest I know of and I have no problems with it- as a matter of fact I drive it like it was stock, after a long time of use you will not even know its there.

When I drive someone else's R I can feel the difference right away.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I Have A Question About My Flywheel (Bbasso)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bbasso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> after a long time of use you will not even know its there.

When I drive someone else's R I can feel the difference right away.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly.

Don't you want to stay away from chrome/alloy? Isn't this the metal that is prone to cracking under high stress?

I have an Aasco in mine. It's all aluminum. No problems yet.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I Have A Question About My Flywheel (Haleiwa-Brando)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Haleiwa-Brando &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Exactly.

Don't you want to stay away from chrome/alloy? Isn't this the metal that is prone to cracking under high stress?

I have an Aasco in mine. It's all aluminum. No problems yet. </TD></TR></TABLE>

cromoly when it breaks can be more brittle....

but aluminum will shatter also. either way your fucked.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:42 AM

Default Re: I Have A Question About My Flywheel (w@@t w@@t)

one guy i read even said when he had a lightweight flywheel i forgot which brand he said he would literally launch at 7k and still BOG wtf ???

i mean when i read that i was like is that even possible lol...i started to wonder if i put this flywheel on will it bog my setup i posted in my first post but i guess not....
Old 08-23-2004, 05:51 AM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Got Milk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one guy i read even said when he had a lightweight flywheel i forgot which brand he said he would literally launch at 7k and still BOG wtf ???
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you cant drive, you can Bog launching at 7k on the stock flywheel and clutch. I've done it the only time I went to the drag strip.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:03 AM

like look at these peoples post i read

not always the case. a flywheel is made heavy for a reason, not just because they went cheap and used a heavy object.
if what you are saying is correct then why use a flywheel? why not remove it completely.theres a reason why the revs drops much faster.
i'll give you a sample.
we isntalled a toda 9lbs flywheel on a stock ls. the car felt weaker afterwards, and showed it in the 1/4. it could no longer hit its best time. the car was about .4 slower in avarage.
now after it recieved a vtec head, p&p and some cams, we re-installed the same flywheel on the same motor. sure enough there is a difference. the car felt better and ran bette.

with a lighter flywheel your not making any more power, your just moving the power band higher. so if you move it too high in the power band then your loosng the power down low but you can't atain high rev so your not gonna see the benefits from it.

i'll give you a sample.
we isntalled a toda 9lbs flywheel on a stock ls. the car felt weaker afterwards, and showed it in the 1/4. it could no longer hit its best time. the car was about .4 slower in avarage.
now after it recieved a vtec head, p&p and some cams, we re-installed the same flywheel on the same motor. sure enough there is a difference. the car felt better and ran bette.

i mean is my setup gunna cause my car to feel weaker like this guy said ^
Old 08-23-2004, 06:06 AM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Got Milk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i mean is my setup gunna cause my car to feel weaker like this guy said</TD></TR></TABLE>

No... that sounds like either he cant drive, did not change his driving after he made changes to the car or is just full of ****.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:59 AM

Default Re: I Have A Question About My Flywheel (.RJ)

i just put my new exedy clutch and flywheel in last week
and the car feels alot smoother when driving
the rpm's speed up faster and when u shift the drop
quick too.
Just shift faster to solve the rpm dipping !
not really any bogging off the line
only put 200 miles on so far, but it feels great
cant wait till i can rev back to the 8K range
Old 08-23-2004, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I read this earlier but am busy, RJ has hit the nails on their respective heads.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No... that sounds like either he cant drive, did not change his driving after he made changes to the car or is just full of ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

When you read what the guy said that a LWFW will "change your powerband" I subscribe to the latter:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or is just full of ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This has been covered several more than a dozen times, and SEARCH for some good descriptions of the effect of a lighter FW. It has to do with inertia and stored and transferred energy. I think the last good explanation I saw was by ElPolloDiablo, maybe RJ and a few others.

The statements that your buddies quotes make are untrue and or he drives like crap.

Anton - who is off to start that relatively lengthy list of prep he must do, and today is the only day he is free.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:34 AM

Default Re: I Have A Question About My Flywheel (1GreyTeg)

so am i going to be able to still hold the needle at 3k-3.5k when launching or would i have to launch alittle higher now??? when the Toda Racing Lightweight Flywheel is in ???
Old 08-23-2004, 07:40 AM
.RJ

Who knows. Try it out and figure out what works best for your car
Old 08-23-2004, 07:41 AM

yea that seems reasonable i hope it turns out good...i wouldnt wanna go through the trouble of removing the tranny......again lol