Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

How old are you? Anyone else feel this way?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How old are you? Anyone else feel this way?

Originally Posted by Outrun
There's a west coast ITR meet at Buttonwillow on April 20 during a Speed Ventures event. From my point of view, the east coast has more enthusiasm for track events than the west coast ITRs. In 2011 ITR Expo was going to be at Buttonwillow. Online chatter was positive, especially from all the west coast people who've been wanting ITR Expo back on the west coast. I signed up and everything but all the people who were so gung ho about attending and registering and paying up didn't and the event was cancelled.

I'm irked because I paid and registered and as soon as it was possible to do so and was pissed that it was cancelled. If I IIRC correctly, the banquet was planned to be at HPD too!
I signed and paid for that one, and the one in Phoenix several years earlier. Both were cancelled. I'd say their are some cultural differences between the East and West coast owners. Although let's not forget that there were only a few people from the Midwest and East coast that even signed up for the Buttonwillow event. Their response was "you need to carry the west coast Expo like we carry it when it's in the East." I'm not sure I can argue against their position.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulMc
Lol nor did he same 'complete'

Had some *** clown last night in a restaurant parking lot tell me my R was fake because it didn't have a 10 digit VIN and because it is LHD. I decided to be polite and give him a lesson, because I was in a good mood. However he was convinced and so sure of himself that it was fake. I don't even look like somebody that would go our of their way to make an Integra look like an ITR, and my ITR is stock and dirty so it doesn't look like I'm trying hard to impress anyway.

He said "my boy has a 10 digit RHD ITR and he said....." before he could finish his sentence I said "**** your ricer friends they're clearly all idiots". (at this point I was looking for a confrontation) He then proceeded to give me directions to their next race, and I just had to start walking away.
Lol I never knew that people would do this to ITR owners. And I don't get how and why they come up with their blatantly false claims like "all ITRs came with red recaros." It's pretty easy to learn the basic facts about ITR's.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:44 AM
RPM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had three ITRs in my lifetime. I currently have a +800 hp GTR but I still miss my ITR. Been thinking about getting into another ITR, S2K, or BRZ.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had some *** clown last night in a restaurant parking lot tell me my R was fake because it didn't have a 10 digit VIN and because it is LHD. I decided to be polite and give him a lesson, because I was in a good mood. However he was convinced and so sure of himself that it was fake. I don't even look like somebody that would go our of their way to make an Integra look like an ITR, and my ITR is stock and dirty so it doesn't look like I'm trying hard to impress anyway.

He said "my boy has a 10 digit RHD ITR and he said....." before he could finish his sentence I said "**** your ricer friends they're clearly all idiots". (at this point I was looking for a confrontation) He then proceeded to give me directions to their next race, and I just had to start walking away.
man i don't know what I'd say if some retard was giving me a hard time like that and he's the one with the fake decals, probably something like "I just pay insurance for a type r but it's not a type r" people are so ignorant it's so sad.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There's a west coast ITR meet at Buttonwillow on April 20 during a Speed Ventures event. From my point of view, the east coast has more enthusiasm for track events than the west coast ITRs. In 2011 ITR Expo was going to be at Buttonwillow. Online chatter was positive, especially from all the west coast people who've been wanting ITR Expo back on the west coast. I signed up and everything but all the people who were so gung ho about attending and registering and paying up didn't and the event was cancelled.

I'm irked because I paid and registered and as soon as it was possible to do so and was pissed that it was cancelled. If I IIRC correctly, the banquet was planned to be at HPD too!
You are correct. It would have been a total blast, especially with the banquet at HPD's facilities. It's a real bummer to me. Maybe we'll try again, someday.

This year's at Road America will set some new benchmarks though. I am really excited to share more announcements soon. It's not often you are in the backyard of both King Motorsports and RealTime Racing.

As far as how long ITR Expo will continue, I have no idea. It could be for many more years, or it could die this year. It's really tough to tell and largely based on community support. It is a lot of fun to pull off though, and that is usually an awesome thing to see.

Last edited by cheezthis; 01-24-2014 at 04:15 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

My first Expo was 2012 and I went last year and plan on this year too. I spend about $1200 to go to Expo (airline, rental car, motel, food) and it's money well spent to me. Mid-Ohio and Road America are iconic tracks I've learned about watching CART/Champ Car/IndyCar and it's awesome seeing the tracks in person. And I don't even have an ITR!
Old 01-25-2014, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My first Expo was 2012 and I went last year and plan on this year too. I spend about $1200 to go to Expo (airline, rental car, motel, food) and it's money well spent to me. Mid-Ohio and Road America are iconic tracks I've learned about watching CART/Champ Car/IndyCar and it's awesome seeing the tracks in person. And I don't even have an ITR!
to you sir.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Kudos I did the same for E8 and E9. Flew from Vancouver, BC to Florida and drove up to VIR for E8 and flew to Chicago for E9. Just to hang out and put faces to screen names was beyond epic for me. What a great group of individuals and easily a top tier event. It was a life changer and worth every penny! I hope I can do the same soon.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been following this thread since the first post. Thought I'd join in. . .
Got my R when I was 30. I just turned 32. I was about 19 when I got my first Integra LS. Couldn't afford an R back then. Started my family at a young age so my R dreams were put on hold. I purchased a few cars through the years, (for my wife) while I keept my Intrgra LS . The LS was in need of new parts and maintenance fees were adding up. One day my wife says " why don't you just buy yourself a new car!" And instantly my R dreams were in full effect! "new car?" I replied "I don't want a new car. I want a Type R!" So my time finally came to own an R. My wife actually helped me find heR on the web. 00 PY. My family said I must be going through some kind of mid-life crises, buying a yellow sports car. I said "no. I can finally afford the car I always wanted". I believe the ITR is already a classic. It is one of a kind that will never be reproduced. I wish I could have picked one up brand new but at the same time, it's been worth the wait.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TrackeR
My family said I must be going through some kind of mid-life crises, buying a yellow sports car.
my family(not my wife) said the same about me and im 34,,,this is my money,my dream so nothing else will stop this,,and im more than happy,,even if ive pass from 411whp civic to my itR
Old 03-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ill be 34 this year. I bought my ITR as a bare shell 3 years ago, Ive been slowly restoring it. I always planned to keep the car in the garage and enjoy it when i want to. I dont care what people think i wanted a ITR when i was a teenager lol. There are 5-6 ITRs running around in my town, every time i see one i say "damn thats a cool car!" I just cant believe how old the cars are, still feels like the cars were just released. I guess that means im getting old.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got my 01 PY ITR about a week ago for my 26th birthday. I plan on using it as a weekend/leisure car. I have a daily driver.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KSube
Got my 01 PY ITR about a week ago for my 26th birthday. I plan on using it as a weekend/leisure car. I have a daily driver.
Congrat on heR you will not regret it ... !!!
Old 03-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys. I'm 31, I bought my first NHB 2000 ITR in 2002... kept it for 8 years. Daily drove for about the first 6 of them. I had fully intended to keep the car forever but unfortunately it was crashed into by a moron driver on a roundabout and written off.

I decided I needed another one so I found a mint CW for sale with 83k km (~52k miles for you guys). I had to have it!
The car is only used for fun, not a daily, and every time I drive it I feel great.

I know the feeling of the car being 'inappropriate' for some situations, but the car is a reflection of my personality and I feel at home driving it.

I daily drive my Accord or a Sprinter van which makes the ITR that much more exciting to drive when I do. My '91 NSX will hopefully be back on the road later in the year so I'm not sure what I'll do then with two toy cars.... probably just enjoy them I hope!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Type R. I saved up delivering Chinese food and pizza throughout high school and flipped a few cars after I graduated and had more time and bought my 2001 ITR for 14.6k off the original owner when I was 19. I'm 24 now and still have the car, rebuilt it, been though hell and back with it and it still looks great and I love driving it.

But I'm just not feeling it anymore, as if I've outgrown it. I'm to the point now where I want to park it and buy a new car to drive to work and class but I simply can't afford two cars. I can't sell it because that just isn't an option. I don't like how I feel driving the car sometimes, an old yellow car with big wing, like I'm 17 and trying to be like Paul Walker. I don't like being constantly seen in it, people trying to race me and assuming that I'm in some 24/7 competition with everyone on the road, when I obey the speed limit and have a stock exhaust.

What I'm looking for here in this thread is, how old were you when you bought your R and how old are you now and have you ever felt the same way I did, or do you? It's a great car and ultimately i don't care what people think about it because I know I like it, but the way i feel picking up a girl in it or driving it to a job interview i could go without. Discuss!

Considering that it sold as an Acura in the US. WHO CARES!? Really though. My father was in his early 30's when he considered buying one and back then it was a car that ANYONE would consider fun civil yet hardcore. Plus it's not like your is some rusted out half assed example. Yours is in mint condition. All it is dude is that over time cars have matured more and sure your car might seem a little less civil when parked next to some new Acura or BMW. But honestly, **** what people think. I have a neighbor who was in a similar situation with you. Just married and wondering is this car worth it... He decided YES. Now he owns it with his wife owning a Lexus IS300. They love the car. I think showing up to an interview with it is not a bad thing at all. I think it says a lot about you as a person. Here's a dude with, a well maintained sports car, responsible driver, and so on. I see these kids driving luxury cars and they act like complete ********. Your car doesn't make you more mature, its you. Picking up a girl? You know, I can see that because chicks who don't like cars tend to gravitate towards boring SUVS and Luxury cars... Or a Maxima, but whatever. If the car is in great shape I think even by today's standards it can't be that bad picking up a girl in it. It's still a civil, reliable car at heart after all. That's what makes the R so great.

Sorry for the novel bud. I just know what your talking about because it's happened to my friends but don't get it twisted. It's easy to think that when everyone just gravitates towards a new Taurus or something that your car is "too much" but in reality you probably feel like your looking more odd in the car than you think. Sometimes we overthink things...
Old 03-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Painfully Stupid

Originally Posted by xracer6
Considering that it sold as an Acura in the US. WHO CARES!? Really though. My father was in his early 30's when he considered buying one and back then it was a car that ANYONE would consider fun civil yet hardcore. Plus it's not like your is some rusted out half assed example. Yours is in mint condition. All it is dude is that over time cars have matured more and sure your car might seem a little less civil when parked next to some new Acura or BMW. But honestly, **** what people think. I have a neighbor who was in a similar situation with you. Just married and wondering is this car worth it... He decided YES. Now he owns it with his wife owning a Lexus IS300. They love the car. I think showing up to an interview with it is not a bad thing at all. I think it says a lot about you as a person. Here's a dude with, a well maintained sports car, responsible driver, and so on. I see these kids driving luxury cars and they act like complete ********. Your car doesn't make you more mature, its you. Picking up a girl? You know, I can see that because chicks who don't like cars tend to gravitate towards boring SUVS and Luxury cars... Or a Maxima, but whatever. If the car is in great shape I think even by today's standards it can't be that bad picking up a girl in it. It's still a civil, reliable car at heart after all. That's what makes the R so great.

Sorry for the novel bud. I just know what your talking about because it's happened to my friends but don't get it twisted. It's easy to think that when everyone just gravitates towards a new Taurus or something that your car is "too much" but in reality you probably feel like your looking more odd in the car than you think. Sometimes we overthink things...
Thanks for the response man. Makes a lot of sense. I'm not getting rid of it, for any reason, ever. Forget it.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm 22, and a girl, and had a type r for 3 years (worst mistake ever selling it) and get men telling me it's 'just an integra', I never speak to these men again.
Nothing more irritating than people being rude about your pride and joy.

Just thought I'd say it's not just girls
Old 03-05-2014, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulMc View Post

this reminds me of initial D.. this story could be part of the moive.. haha
stupid kids.
i had the caR since brand new in 2001 and i still got it.
i was 19 when i bought it.. now im almost 33... jesus time just flies
been through 3 engine rebuilds.. lot lots of money and headache
i just bought a bone stock 2003 wrx.. its so much fun in snow..
and somehow i had to buy 2003 focus svt off my friend 2 years ago.
and my R sits in the garage waiting for summer.

now i'm stuck with 3 kids cars
still young at heart
im planning to never let go of my itr..
Old 03-05-2014, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Em19
I'm 22, and a girl, and had a type r for 3 years (worst mistake ever selling it) and get men telling me it's 'just an integra', I never speak to these men again.
Nothing more irritating than people being rude about your pride and joy.

Just thought I'd say it's not just girls
It's more than just an Integra.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's more than just an Integra.
agree,,,dumb are those who said: it a civic but on other name dont be crazy on your car,, o yes my friend its a civic...
Old 03-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm 22, when I was 19 I traded my em1 for Py Itr 01-1017.i love driving it and the attention everywhere I go they ask me if it's a real type r.its my project and I daily it.put so much money into it why not! Only has 76k
Old 06-20-2015, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boarderfatty
29 years old chiming in here, owned numerous R's and modded Honda's over the years.

I sold my most recent ITR this fall, I will never own one again. If I ever own any Honda again, it would be an S2k, but I doubt that will happen.

What ruined my love for Honda's is quite simple, better vehicles. My E46 M3 is just so much more car, plenty of power, awesome braking (brembo GT kit mind you...), dreamy handling, comfort, sexy engine noise etc... and to be honest ownership is not overly expensive at all. Parts in large, seem to be much cheaper than Honda parts lol... figure that out. I don't have to worry about it getting stolen, the cabin isn't a loud *** rattle box, etc.

I think the more I am exposed to Porsche and BMW I am convinced I will never own anything but, next car, and likely the last sports car I ever buy will be a 997.2 GT3.

I'll be happy as a clown to see a clean ITR rolling into a car show in 20 years, but i think even with the cleanest car it will be worth 20k tops, and thats probably too high. I don't think they will ever see the collector status that muscle car group has seen.

Remember, this is sad for me to say, it's been a very long road for me and Honda's, but I have come to realize that it's over between us.
31 years old now, sold my 997.1 GT3 last week and picked up a super low KM 2001 CDM ITR

The GT3 was hard to enjoy, way too much power/grip/braking to have any fun on the street. I am on the hunt for a 997 GT3 RS but probably won't buy one until prices cool down... it will be light track toy and hard parker.

I will probably keep this super clean ITR until I die.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^awesome!!! Pics?! These cars are already collector cars and many have gone well above the 20k tops price tag you mentioned. It's cool to see that but then again it's not. Not as many people are buying them to enjoy. They are buying just to garage them.......
Old 06-20-2015, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by itr#1334
^^^awesome!!! Pics?! These cars are already collector cars and many have gone well above the 20k tops price tag you mentioned. It's cool to see that but then again it's not. Not as many people are buying them to enjoy. They are buying just to garage them.......
I'll post pics of both next week when the ITR shows up, it's currently on a train crossing the country.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just turned 29 recently

I got my R nearly 3 years ago as a dedicated track car and nice sunny day driver.

Quick Reply: How old are you? Anyone else feel this way?