Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

How old are you? Anyone else feel this way?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Painfully Stupid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How old are you? Anyone else feel this way?

I love my Type R. I saved up delivering Chinese food and pizza throughout high school and flipped a few cars after I graduated and had more time and bought my 2001 ITR for 14.6k off the original owner when I was 19. I'm 24 now and still have the car, rebuilt it, been though hell and back with it and it still looks great and I love driving it.

But I'm just not feeling it anymore, as if I've outgrown it. I'm to the point now where I want to park it and buy a new car to drive to work and class but I simply can't afford two cars. I can't sell it because that just isn't an option. I don't like how I feel driving the car sometimes, an old yellow car with big wing, like I'm 17 and trying to be like Paul Walker. I don't like being constantly seen in it, people trying to race me and assuming that I'm in some 24/7 competition with everyone on the road, when I obey the speed limit and have a stock exhaust.

What I'm looking for here in this thread is, how old were you when you bought your R and how old are you now and have you ever felt the same way I did, or do you? It's a great car and ultimately i don't care what people think about it because I know I like it, but the way i feel picking up a girl in it or driving it to a job interview i could go without. Discuss!
Old 10-28-2013, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: How old are you? Anyone else feel this way?

Well I was 24 before I even got mine (in 2008, about $6.8K in US$). It does seem like I should have grown out of it by now, but I guess having a second old crap car as a daily makes it seem like a bigger deal when I do drive it.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bought the R when I was 22, now I am 36. Daily drove it for 4 years had to get another car after its 3rd theft attempt.

I miss daily driving the R, it was fun for me, just 2002, 03, 04 R's were getting stolen left and right. It was to the point that almost every week someones R was getting stolen. So I just got another car.

Originally Posted by PaulMc
I don't like how I feel driving the car sometimes, an old yellow car with big wing, like I'm 17 and trying to be like Paul Walker. I don't like being constantly seen in it, people trying to race me and assuming that I'm in some 24/7 competition with everyone on the road, when I obey the speed limit and have a stock exhaust.
How do you think some Lotus Exige,Ferrari, Lambo or Porsche owners feel. I've talked to a few them and they kinda sound like you right now

Now, when I drive, I just drive the R with out a care of who is looking or if the car next to me wants to race. I love hearing the motor, the feel of the steering wheel when it drives. There is no car after the R that feels and drives like an R for its price point.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was 23 when I bought my 2001 itr with 46xxx on it for 12.5k about 2 yrs ago. It is my second car and I barely drive, currently has about 47xxx on it now. Since I rarley drive it, every time I do decide to take it out it feels like the first time all over again. I really enjoy the sound of the engine and vtec. I only drive 8t to work and that 15 minutes is fantastic. I could never get tried of it. I enjoy owning something not everyone has and breaking a few necks. The itr was also my first manual car to own but surprisingly I caught on quick.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought R when I was 25, now I am 26 :D
Old 10-29-2013, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You feel old? I was 26 when we bought a '98 off the showroom floor and 40 when I picked up a yellow '01 last year. I wouldn't want one if I could only have one vehicle though.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im 34...and thinked that i was old to play with those car...
Old 10-29-2013, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL! Best thread ever! I was 20 when I got my 98 R brand new, I'm 35 now. I believe this car was the reason I have road rage now, just like the OP, I hate when people rev on me (especially when they're driving the other direction, lol), or when someone ricer thinks I've offended him somehow by me just driving normally while I mind my own business, and then he goes and starts driving all aggressive like he has something to prove. Leave me alone ricers!! I'm just minding my own business! LOL! I've had the car 15 years now, it has 230K on it, motor is all original and stock, it has and will always be my daily driver. I'm not as embarrassed driving it now as I should be, since I'm 6 ft tall, almost 300 lbs and balding! LOL! I'm just maintaining the car so I don't have to buy a new one, hopefully can pass it down to my son (6 yrs old now). I kind of want to get rid of it, but too much sentimental value. I have had 2 people interested in buying it recently. Someone did leave a note on the car last week wanting to buy it, but I didn't call the dude back, maybe I'll see what he is offering for it, and another HT member was interested. But someone would have to pay me more than what the car is worth for me to let it go. Just my 2 cents. This thread makes me want to sing.....FEELINGS, nothing more than FEELINGS, FEELINGS OF LOOOVE!! lol!
Old 10-29-2013, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought my Type R earlier this year, a few months just before I turned 21 as a present for myself. I've worked very hard for years before I could finally find a clean, unmolested, low mileage one. Still feels sort of surreal to be able to do so.

Even when I don't drive it, working on it makes me happy.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:55 AM
I said I don't want a title!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give it another 5-10 years. The ITR will no longer be seen as a "Fast and Furious" car. It'll start to transform into more of a classic as time goes on and instead of people wanting to race you, they'll want to stop and talk about their memories of the car.

A stock Type R looks less gaudy than a 2013 Civic Si, truth be told.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

every time i look at it, im just as happy as when i got it.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

forgot to mention im 34 now..
Old 10-29-2013, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I feel that way every once in a while. Bought mine new at 23, now 36. Daily drove it for 7ish years, now retired to track driving only. It's ok since it's black and doesn't get much attention, was only attempted stolen once. Only problem is it's getting old and is being rebuilt now. It's a lousy daily driver once you have a family.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

great thread! In 2003 I bought my 1999 CW with 50,xxxkms. I was 26. I started tracking it in 2005 and stopped dailying it in 2006/07. I'm now 36 and it sits as a trophy and testament as being my favorite car of all time. I lusted after one since 1996 and feel proud to be an owneR. It sees the track a few times a year and highway runs/cruises with friends in the summer. With all of the parts and money I have put into the car and the sentimental value I will never sell. I'm actually on the hunt for a super low mile PY or NHBP/FBP just to have.

I could give a rats *** what people think and honestly, I love smashing stereotypes by being a salt'n'pepper bearded white dood driving what others would consider a rice mobile.

OP: it really depends on where you are at in your life. Being forced to daily an ITR is a different story. Worrying about theft and accidents can be stressful. However, I wouldn't care about what girls think, people think or job interviews, etc. Chicks aren't blowing your car. Employers aren't hiring your car. haha! j/k. I love hearing about young doods working hard and scooping one up to enjoy though so hats off to you!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

got mine in like 06? theft recovery and rebuilt, still have now. im now 29 almost 30
Ive have 2 other PY itrs throughout the years for daily enjoyment.

I know the feeling you have, been there but now I can never see myself letting someone else have what I worked so hard for.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't allow friends, society, or social norms to influence what you should or should not be driving. It feels to me that you are being influenced by your surroundings.

I picked up my first 01 ITR this year at the tender age of 33.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PaulMc
but the way i feel picking up a girl in it...
If a girl has a negative opinion about your R, slowly pull up to the bus stop, step out, open her door, give her a dollar and tell her to GTFO!

A real girl shouldn't care what you drive, whether it's a Corolla or a 911 GT3.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Future Texas Boy

39 checking in and have two. lol
Old 10-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

34 now, the wife bought the car when we were 22. So we've had it for some time and it was my daily driver for a period of 4 years. I like having it as an optional car/weekend car. Took it to the track for the first time a couple weeks ago and see what the hype is all about. Do your best to keep it or you'll regret it down the road.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

38 soon to be 39.....been driving a Honda for over 15 years now my first was a 91 CRX si...never to old for a fun car.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Seedc2
Don't allow friends, society, or social norms to influence what you should or should not be driving. It feels to me that you are being influenced by your surroundings.

Absolutely agree, obviously it can be easier said than done, but try to not let society influence you. I was feeling very similar to how you are about my gsr and I'm 19 now. I got it when I just turned 15; push mowed a lot of yards to get it Lol. The car is not flashy or anything of that nature; just a nice clean tastefully lowered white 98 gsr with color matched factory side skirts, itr wing, kiwi splitter, and black 15" kosei k1's. Up until a few months ago I felt that maybe it was time to move on to something a little more mature. Oh how wrong I was. Around the same time as that thought crossed my mind, I ended up putting the car up on jack stands to take care of some long overdue suspension work(original factory bushings really needed replacement). Long story short, the car was down for about a month and a half during which time I was driving a newer bmw 3 series. Very nice car but so boring. Also got to drive my brothers c32 amg a few times which is a fun car, but also boring compared to the old integra. I was really starting to miss the integra so I was happy as hell when I finally got it put back together. It then occurred to me, why should I care about what anyone else thinks about this car? I love it, I think it's extremely fun, and at this point I wouldn't give it up. If you feel like you have out grown your R, park it for a month or two, then come back to it. I guarantee during that time you will miss it while you're driving a new Mercedes c class that will just never be the same as your pokey little Honda.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:47 PM
I shoot brides

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

got the 234 when i was 27. i'm old y0!

y shi - who's wife won't let him sell 234 as she knows I'll regret it - haha
Old 10-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OP: I completely understand how you are feeling. I am 42 years old and on my 2nd ITR February 2012 which is a garage *****... I paid 20k for it.

1st one was a DD and stolen in 2001. It was replaced with a ordinary car I could park anywhere and not worry about it being stolen.... Honestly that was a RELEIF...But I really missed a car I can really rev the **** out of. It's SO HARD to replace a ITR.... Like another poster here said "the way the steering wheel feels" ect.

So I I picked up a pristine '97 almost 2 years ago because I could not get rid of that bug I have for this great car... So I have a garage queen now and drive an SUV as a DD.

The solution is that You need to have 2 cars and keep The ITR as a car you can take out for leisure only....trust me....you will start to crave the car and end up as I have...so just find a way to keep it..it will be cheaper in the long run.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Painfully Stupid

Originally Posted by Todd00
Give it another 5-10 years. The ITR will no longer be seen as a "Fast and Furious" car. It'll start to transform into more of a classic as time goes on and instead of people wanting to race you, they'll want to stop and talk about their memories of the car.

A stock Type R looks less gaudy than a 2013 Civic Si, truth be told.
Absolutely agree. The new Civic Si doesn't compare to the R at all. Believe it or not, it's the new Si drivers who are the worst when it comes to revving their engine at me. The older EK/EG people who have their cars together well see me and they don't act like that, as they are most likely passionate about their car as I am and understand what it's like.

Originally Posted by white rocket
great thread! In 2003 I bought my 1999 CW with 50,xxxkms. I was 26. I started tracking it in 2005 and stopped dailying it in 2006/07. I'm now 36 and it sits as a trophy and testament as being my favorite car of all time. I lusted after one since 1996 and feel proud to be an owneR. It sees the track a few times a year and highway runs/cruises with friends in the summer. With all of the parts and money I have put into the car and the sentimental value I will never sell. I'm actually on the hunt for a super low mile PY or NHBP/FBP just to have.

I could give a rats *** what people think and honestly, I love smashing stereotypes by being a salt'n'pepper bearded white dood driving what others would consider a rice mobile.

OP: it really depends on where you are at in your life. Being forced to daily an ITR is a different story. Worrying about theft and accidents can be stressful. However, I wouldn't care about what girls think, people think or job interviews, etc. Chicks aren't blowing your car. Employers aren't hiring your car. haha! j/k. I love hearing about young doods working hard and scooping one up to enjoy though so hats off to you!
Thanks man. It is stressful and I think that is what is making me feel some sort of way.

Originally Posted by Seedc2

Maybe a society is a little, if I were to get a new car it'd be some newer SUV, my tastes have changed dramatically since I was introduced to Hondas when I was 16.

Originally Posted by pogeeboy27
If a girl has a negative opinion about your R, slowly pull up to the bus stop, step out, open her door, give her a dollar and tell her to GTFO!

A real girl shouldn't care what you drive, whether it's a Corolla or a 911 GT3.
It's actually happened twice where there was an issue with a female. The first was when this girl who was in to exotics and **** was leaning on it and she had some stupid belt on that was touching on the paint while we were doing our thing against the car and I asked her to just take a switch with me or move out from the car and she said it's "just an Acura" I was like Just an Acura? You're just a female that I'm probably going to bang forget about in a couple weeks. My Acura came before you and will out last you, I'm not going to let you make your mark on it. Needless to say she didn't go home with me that night, but my R was safe.

Originally Posted by vtecvoodoo
39 checking in and have two. lol

Originally Posted by KraZyCHOWMEIN
34 now, the wife bought the car when we were 22. So we've had it for some time and it was my daily driver for a period of 4 years. I like having it as an optional car/weekend car. Took it to the track for the first time a couple weeks ago and see what the hype is all about. Do your best to keep it or you'll regret it down the road.
I know I will regret it. That's why I'm just hanging in there for now, waiting for a real job to come along so that I can start dumping money in to it again and also afford a new car.

Originally Posted by 1998GsRIntegra
Absolutely agree, obviously it can be easier said than done, but try to not let society influence you. I was feeling very similar to how you are about my gsr and I'm 19 now. I got it when I just turned 15; push mowed a lot of yards to get it Lol. The car is not flashy or anything of that nature; just a nice clean tastefully lowered white 98 gsr with color matched factory side skirts, itr wing, kiwi splitter, and black 15" kosei k1's. Up until a few months ago I felt that maybe it was time to move on to something a little more mature. Oh how wrong I was. Around the same time as that thought crossed my mind, I ended up putting the car up on jack stands to take care of some long overdue suspension work(original factory bushings really needed replacement). Long story short, the car was down for about a month and a half during which time I was driving a newer bmw 3 series. Very nice car but so boring. Also got to drive my brothers c32 amg a few times which is a fun car, but also boring compared to the old integra. I was really starting to miss the integra so I was happy as hell when I finally got it put back together. It then occurred to me, why should I care about what anyone else thinks about this car? I love it, I think it's extremely fun, and at this point I wouldn't give it up. If you feel like you have out grown your R, park it for a month or two, then come back to it. I guarantee during that time you will miss it while you're driving a new Mercedes c class that will just never be the same as your pokey little Honda.
My R was actually parked for the past two years because the timing belt went and I couldn't afford to rebuild the motor. Got it rebuilt and back on the road and a week later was when I started to fee that I've outgrown it. It has to be just a phase. I am 99% sure I will never even post it for sale.

Originally Posted by db_de_luxe
OP: I completely understand how you are feeling. I am 42 years old and on my 2nd ITR February 2012 which is a garage *****... I paid 20k for it.

1st one was a DD and stolen in 2001. It was replaced with a ordinary car I could park anywhere and not worry about it being stolen.... Honestly that was a RELEIF...But I really missed a car I can really rev the **** out of. It's SO HARD to replace a ITR.... Like another poster here said "the way the steering wheel feels" ect.

So I I picked up a pristine '97 almost 2 years ago because I could not get rid of that bug I have for this great car... So I have a garage queen now and drive an SUV as a DD.

The solution is that You need to have 2 cars and keep The ITR as a car you can take out for leisure only....trust me....you will start to crave the car and end up as I have...so just find a way to keep it..it will be cheaper in the long run.
You're right I need a second car. And it like although I'm 24 most of you are older and are still enjoying these cars and also purchasing them. Which is amazing. My dad is 49 and I can never see him driving NVM enjoying the car the way we do. It's certainly not for everyone.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have to admit some of your responses made me think and also gave me a little bit of the chills thinking about how I will probably still own number 26 when I'm in my 40s and every car looks like a complete bar of soap!

Keep the comments coming in, everyone has a unique story and I can't say that they're boring to read about. Everyone has been through so much with their R and every owner can learn something off a fellow R owner.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by db_de_luxe
The solution is that You need to have 2 cars and keep The ITR as a car you can take out for leisure only.
x2. Yes it costs more but putting dents/miles on a daily beater helps the value of the ITR. And makes it more fun when you do drive it.

Quick Reply: How old are you? Anyone else feel this way?