Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

This ever happen to any of you? Hawk HPS backing plate...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This ever happen to any of you? Hawk HPS backing plate...

Rear brakes, stock ITR rotors at ~35k. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Comments anyone?

Ed
Old 05-09-2003, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This ever happen to any of you? Hawk HPS backing plate... (yellow blur)

So the back plate came loose and scored your rotor? Big deal. The groove won't have any affect on your rotors.

Your rotors and pads look like they're about done anyway. I just ordered some Cobalt Frictions and the build quality looks top notch and I'm testing them out next weekend, I'll see how they do.

Old 05-09-2003, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: This ever happen to any of you? Hawk HPS backing plate... (SpiceyRice)

think of it as unsprung weight reduction
Old 05-09-2003, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This ever happen to any of you? Hawk HPS backing plate... (Soup ****)

happens all the time. Not a big deal. No ill effects to removing them. Happens on HPS and HP+. THey are the ones to come with plates to reduce squeal.

pull them off and don't sweat it.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:37 PM

Yeah, it happened on a front set that I had on my car...glad to hear I'm not the only one...

Later,
Aj
Old 05-09-2003, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This ever happen to any of you? Hawk HPS backing plate... (yellow blur)

Seen that before... I had Hawk HP+ front pads. It made a nice little tread on my front left rotor. Exactly like yours did. Not much harm done. The right one never had the chance do the same I just took the little plate out before.

I should have complain to Hawk... Maybe they would have send a new set of pads for free!
Old 05-09-2003, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Happened to mine. I make it a point to remove them the first time so I or the person I install them for doesn't have to deal with it later on.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This ever happen to any of you? Hawk HPS backing plate... (IN VTEC)

Happened to me; ******* Hawk pads suck. Call them; you can get a free pair of them.

You don't need the shims; just take them off; did that on mine and they worked fine. Well until I glazed the rotors at least...
Old 05-09-2003, 07:00 PM
New User

Default Re: This ever happen to any of you? Hawk HPS backing plate... (IN VTEC)

i'm also a victim of Hawk pads and their gayass backing plates coming off.....happened to my front rotor, made a niceeeeeee deeeeeep groove on the rotor hat.

Old 05-09-2003, 08:30 PM
New User

You have two options. The first option is to take the shim out and leave it out. The second option is to put liquid anti squeal compound on both sides of the shim (clean it first if the shim was glued to the pad), put the shim and the pad back in the caliper, then drive the car around and do a few stops to heat up the brakes. What will happen is the anti squeal compound will bond the shim to the pad and the caliper, and it wont slide anymore. The same thing happened to my Carbotech Super Street F pads, and thats what I did to fix it.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That happened to one of the front pads on my car, just put more anti-squeal on there and reinstalled. **** happens.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:40 PM
Wrong-Way Wang

Default Re: This ever happen to any of you? Hawk HPS backing plate... (N1-R)

Before your gayass says something, how about you know what you're talking about? It's not a backing plate. If the backing plate fell off, you'd know... It's a shim, and it's just for noise. Take it out.

Groove on the rotor hat? Great. Less unsprung weight.

Warren
Old 05-09-2003, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This ever happen to any of you? Hawk HPS backing plate... (Warren)

Thanks for the comments guys. I know that it's not detrimental to the preformance, just wondering if it happened to you guys before. Hawk is teh SUCK! Hehe, anyways thanks again.

Pads are relatively new, but rotors going soon.

Ed

Modified by yellow blur at 1:40 AM 5/10/2003
Old 05-10-2003, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Warren &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Before your gayass says something, how about you know what you're talking about? It's not a backing plate. If the backing plate fell off, you'd know... It's a shim, and it's just for noise. Take it out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hawks are generally good pads, the shim coming loose doesn't indicate low quality workmanship, prolly just a bad install.

Referring to my post Chuckles? I think we all know it's not the "backing plate", if we had, we all would have all said chuck the pads.

I wasn't sure if it was the shim or the "back plate" of the pad. I've never dealt wiith Hawk blacks, just blues and they either don't come with shims, or I throw them away immediately and never had to deal with them.

attitude
Old 05-10-2003, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Spray some anti squeak blue glue on the plate before u install so it will stick onto the caliper inorder to prevent this.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: This ever happen to any of you? Hawk HPS backing plate... (machgo5go)

I'm going to have to agree with Warren here. And have any of you "Hawk pads suck" raced on Hawk pads? Just take the stupid things out...
Old 05-10-2003, 11:14 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Warren &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Before your gayass says something, how about you know what you're talking about? It's not a backing plate. If the backing plate fell off, you'd know... It's a shim, and it's just for noise. Take it out.

Groove on the rotor hat? Great. Less unsprung weight.

Warren</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well said. I second this post.