Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Considering "Big Brake" Upgrade - ASR x AP Racing -vs.- ICB / RCrew Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering "Big Brake" Upgrade - ASR x AP Racing -vs.- ICB / RCrew Racing

Hi everyone - been a while since I have posted much of anything as the kiddos keep me more than busy, but I will pop on here every once in a while to check things out.

I have been considering a "big brake" upgrade for a while now beyond the Spoon twin block caliper and DBA 4000 Series rotors (stock replacement size) with Carbotech CT503 XP12 pads. I want to be able to run a 15" rim still so from what I could find, the RCrew Racing kit with the Alcon Calipers / Project Mu rotors and the ASR kit with the AP Racing calipers and rotors are the two options available. Looking to see if anyone has much experience with either or both for track use and if one is clearly better than the other.

Alcon Forged Calipers Project Mu SCR Pro 300mm/11.8" Rotors ICB Rcrew Hat Brake Kit
https://www.asrparts.com/products/asr-big-brake-kit

Old 01-01-2018, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Considering "Big Brake" Upgrade - ASR x AP Racing -vs.- ICB / RCrew Racing

The ASR "kit" can be done for less than half the price. I did it 3 years ago and was going to put it into production but slept on it. Profit margin is insane on those kits, but I understand the convenience of a kit rather than piecing it together part by part for much less. Spoon calipers aren't worth it, also in Europe but AP Racing and Alcon are considered lower end than Wilwood. So much in fact that most legitimate high dollar race cars are running Wilwood over the other options. Do we view them as cheap and lower end because of their availability in the U.S. and being common? Not sure. SL6R's are beast for less.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Considering "Big Brake" Upgrade - ASR x AP Racing -vs.- ICB / RCrew Racing

Originally Posted by FlewByU352
The ASR "kit" can be done for less than half the price. I did it 3 years ago and was going to put it into production but slept on it. Profit margin is insane on those kits, but I understand the convenience of a kit rather than piecing it together part by part for much less. Spoon calipers aren't worth it, also in Europe but AP Racing and Alcon are considered lower end than Wilwood. So much in fact that most legitimate high dollar race cars are running Wilwood over the other options. Do we view them as cheap and lower end because of their availability in the U.S. and being common? Not sure. SL6R's are beast for less.
Are you willing to share how the "kit" can be done for less?

Interesting how Wilwood is viewed differently overseas as what feedback I've read online domestically.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KraZyCHOWMEIN
Interesting how Wilwood is viewed differently overseas as what feedback I've read online domestically.
Agree. I still see a bunch of top dollar racing teams using AP/Alcon.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:38 PM
Wai
ProFunction/GT Motoring

Hey Wes it was nice seeing you at Expo!
Looking at the two kits you posted, I would probably vote for the ASR kit because the rotors are much thicker (32mm vs 25mm).
For the calipers, I have nothing bad to say about either Alcon or AP, but I really dislike the Project Mu rotors, or Project Mu stuff in general. I have used many of their products before and there were always cheaper and much better options.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't posted on this forum in years, but that is hands down the most ridiculous thing I've read on the internet in quite some time! lol. The pic below shows all of the professional racing series in which AP Racing won a championship with their brake or clutch products in the year 2017. I can pretty much guarantee you that there isn't a Wilwood caliper to be found in any of those series. The AP Racing CP8350 caliper was specifically designed from scratch to outperform the mentioned Wilwood caliper in every metric, and succeeded fantastically in doing so.

Wow...I've officially seen it all now. Thank you internet and Honda Tech!

Old 03-09-2018, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^Plus, doesn't isn't Brembo and AP owned by the same parent company or something? So that implies it's pretty good. I heard that AP brakes were better than Brembo and that's why they're used in F1, but Brembo has the brand recognition so that's why they're used so often in factory oem applications.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sad thing is Rboosted had the AP racing kit but it was not a direct fit. There is a thread on ITRCA about it.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would be interested in the alternative kit as well.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I and a few other guys have used the Rcrew/ICB kit for the last three years on track. It's a durable kit that stands up to any abuse you put to it. Never any brake fade for any of us that run it.
Some of us do back to back sessions on track and still no brake fade or issues with durability.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wes, I own the RCrew v3 (bigger rotor than above) BBK. I can confirm it requires an 8mm spacer for 15x8 TE-37's. I can also confirm the ASR BBK also requires an 8mm spacer for 15x8 TE-37's, despite the ASR website advertising otherwise. My impromptu RCrew BBK review is here.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by coolhandluke
Wes, I own the RCrew v3 (bigger rotor than above) BBK. I can confirm it requires an 8mm spacer for 15x8 TE-37's. I can also confirm the ASR BBK also requires an 8mm spacer for 15x8 TE-37's, despite the ASR website advertising otherwise. My impromptu RCrew BBK review is here.
Mike sent me his kit to test fit on my car and like you said it does need the 8mm spacers to fit the 15x8 35mm TE-37's. Do you have rubbing issues with how far the rim/tire sticks out during turns when the car is loaded with the extra 8mm worth of spacers?
Attached Images   
Old 04-03-2018, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^That does look beautiful tho with the TE's and AP brakes.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by White Dragon
Mike sent me his kit to test fit on my car and like you said it does need the 8mm spacers to fit the 15x8 35mm TE-37's. Do you have rubbing issues with how far the rim/tire sticks out during turns when the car is loaded with the extra 8mm worth of spacers?
Ride height and camber are big factors to help/hurt rubbing. I have ~finger worth of gap in the front and ~-2.1 degrees of negative camber on factory UCA's. I did not have rubbing issues until my suspension swap last weekend, and only then, when rebound is set to softer settings. I am still dialing in the new (re: different) setup. For example, the new setup has shorter springs paired with ERS. Switching (back) to longer spring lengths may solve this issue.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by coolhandluke
Ride height and camber are big factors to help/hurt rubbing. I have ~finger worth of gap in the front and ~-2.1 degrees of negative camber on factory UCA's. I did not have rubbing issues until my suspension swap last weekend, and only then, when rebound is set to softer settings. I am still dialing in the new (re: different) setup. For example, the new setup has shorter springs paired with ERS. Switching (back) to longer spring lengths may solve this issue.
Are you running spacers in the rear at to match the front track, or just going with the wider front track?
Old 04-04-2018, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dave7
^That does look beautiful tho with the TE's and AP brakes.
Here is a shot with the rim removed and some shots of the ASR/AP hat/rotor vs. a factory replacement dba 4000 series rotor.
Attached Images      
Old 07-20-2018, 03:53 AM
Premium Member

I'm running Endless 6 pots up front. The Japanese stuff works well.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What about spoon s2k calipers?
Old 09-10-2018, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by White Dragon
Are you running spacers in the rear at to match the front track, or just going with the wider front track?
No sir, I have considered it, but I need to install extended lugs first.