Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Cold start idle problems

Old 03-22-2019, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Cold start idle problems

Hi everyone I'm having an issue with a swap I just put into my 94 integra i put in a jdm B18C got a chipped p28 ecu with hondata s300 v3 chipped everything's good when warm but wont stay on when cold I have to hold the gas till it gets warm for it to stay on any way I can fix that with out have to buy new parts plz any advice

Old 03-23-2019, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cold start idle problems

Check the idle control valve. Remove it from the intake manifold and clean it.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the winter where you live is really cold and you have the combination of bad idle control valve and bypassed coolant, that problem will likely develope
Old 03-24-2019, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok don't remove anything just yet this is most likely a issue with the tune and sounds like you have no cold start adjustments,

Ok so go into S manager for the Hondata S300 on your laptop, if you don't have one get one and download the latest S Manager software and open it up.

First put the key to on but don't start engine, connect the laptop to the ECU with the USB cord. Once S manager is open click the online tab at the very top and then click download, then click parameters at the top right,

Then click the Fuel Trim tab ,

Then where it says post start fuel adjustment enter a value like 15% to start with.

Once you enter this new value click the Arrow pointing up at the very top of the screen,

Another thing you can try if it still has trouble starting is try increasing the IACV duty a little bit, It might give some slight drivability issues once the engine warms up but if that happens just set it back to normal and the idle will drop to normal. so go to the idle tab,

Where it says IAC Duty Cycle set the bar a little past normal twards the Increase side,

Once again click the Arrow up top to upload the new calibration,

Then try starting the engine, it should start right up on a cold morning!

Last edited by wunfstgsr; 03-24-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also Iíve done this a lot, make sure your coolant temp on the side of the head or the thermostat sensor isnít swapped with you IACV.
And also check any plug that could be swapped around lookin at your helms manual or google wire colors to make sure they are hooked up in the right spot.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is exactly what I was looking for thank you very much

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr View Post
Ok don't remove anything just yet this is most likely a issue with the tune and sounds like you have no cold start adjustments,

Ok so go into S manager for the Hondata S300 on your laptop, if you don't have one get one and download the latest S Manager software and open it up.

First put the key to on but don't start engine, connect the laptop to the ECU with the USB cord. Once S manager is open click the online tab at the very top and then click download, then click parameters at the top right,

Then click the Fuel Trim tab ,

Then where it says post start fuel adjustment enter a value like 15% to start with.

Once you enter this new value click the Arrow pointing up at the very top of the screen,

Another thing you can try if it still has trouble starting is try increasing the IACV duty a little bit, It might give some slight drivability issues once the engine warms up but if that happens just set it back to normal and the idle will drop to normal. so go to the idle tab,

Where it says IAC Duty Cycle set the bar a little past normal twards the Increase side,

Once again click the Arrow up top to upload the new calibration,

Then try starting the engine, it should start right up on a cold morning!
Old 03-27-2019, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K20.ek View Post
Also Iíve done this a lot, make sure your coolant temp on the side of the head or the thermostat sensor isnít swapped with you IACV.
And also check any plug that could be swapped around lookin at your helms manual or google wire colors to make sure they are hooked up in the right spot.
No its only during engine cold start, once the engine reaches OP temp it no longer relies on the IACV and or fuel trim. So switched plugs are already ruled out. But it is common to get the IAT sensor switched with the IACV or other plugs depending on what harness/engine combo you are using when doing a swap.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mramirez199112 View Post
This is exactly what I was looking for thank you very much
No problem post back if it fixes your issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: