Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Butt dyno review of my homemade ITR intake...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Butt dyno review of my homemade ITR intake...

Well after having an AEM CAI on my car for over two years I was looking for something different. AEM's are nice but for all the racket that they make, the gains just arent there. Not to mention the hole my a/c lines were slowly gouging into it and the fear of hydrolocking if ever caught in a heavy rainstorm.(which nearly happened this past summer during torrential downpours)

Long story short, the extra 1 whp just wasnt worth the hassles and poor fitment of the AEM anymore. I wanted my car to have an uncluttered and OEM as possible intake on it. I thought about the Icebox or DC DAC but since I had my stock airbox laying around in brand spankin new condition I figured I'd play with it a little. First I installed it w/o resonator and with stock air filter, in short it sucked! It was like driving an LS, it was dead muffled and the car just didn't feel like it was pulling at all. I then installed a K&N E-2427 which gave me a little more punch and noise but still I was not satisfied.

My final contraption is as follows (stock airbox tray w/3 inch PVC tubing about 5 inches long, just out of the engine compartment enough to draw cool air but not quite a DIY icebox either. airbox cover removed with K&N filter exposed. The end result is an intake that fits perfectly, sounds awesome! and doesnt run the risk of hydrolocking. And if I wanna go stealth I just put the airbox cover back on

Butt dyno tells me that it pulls just as hard or harder then when I had the CAI and the fit & finish is OEM!

I just bought a dig cam so hopefully I can post pics this weekend.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Butt dyno review of my homemade ITR intake... (H-PIMP)

Let me get this straight. You put a 3 inch diameter pvc tube from the base of the airbox into the fenderwell area. Ok, good idea. you put a K&N 2427 in there too, good idea.

You left the airbox top off?? That defeats the purpose of your PVC tubing.

put the stock airbox top back and, go for a ride, and I BET YOU will feel better about this setup as opposed to having the airbox top off.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Butt dyno review of my homemade ITR intake... (Chris N)

I agree with Chris.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Butt dyno review of my homemade ITR intake... (Haunt)

Chris is almost as retarded as Corky from Life Goes On, but I actually agree with what he stated above
Old 12-13-2002, 09:03 AM
New User

Default Re: Butt dyno review of my homemade ITR intake... (Nate Bizzle)

Chris is almost as retarded as Corky from Life Goes On, but I actually agree with what he stated above
Old 12-13-2002, 09:05 AM

Let me get this straight. You put a 3 inch diameter pvc tube from the base of the airbox into the fenderwell area. Ok, good idea. you put a K&N 2427 in there too, good idea.

You left the airbox top off?? That defeats the purpose of your PVC tubing.

put the stock airbox top back and, go for a ride, and I BET YOU will feel better about this setup as opposed to having the airbox top off.
Having the top of the airbox off will let hot air in and make the intake noise louder.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Butt dyno review of my homemade ITR intake... (ITR GURU)

Thanks.

Try it and let us know.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:11 AM

Thanks.

Try it and let us know.
lol
"sofa-king-we-todd-did"
Old 12-13-2002, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Butt dyno review of my homemade ITR intake... (Philly_NBP_R)

My AEM dynoed anywhere from 3-5 whp higher accross the board .......... with a 10 hp jump between 4,000-4,800 rpms ............ if that's 1 whp, I'll take that any day of the week, and twice on Sundays ..........

[Modified by TypeR0207, 1:16 PM 12/13/2002]
Old 12-13-2002, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Butt dyno review of my homemade ITR intake... (TypeR0207)

Ok, Just want to share my experience and some misconceptions.

First, ITR Airbox is really good and better than most.

Second, AEM/ICEMAN/Injen CAI's are worth form my results 3-5 whp most places neglecting spikes.

Third, Removing the resonator and putting nothing in it's place loses between 3 and 6 whp.

Forth, putting a homemade PVC setup in the resonators place nets you -3 to 0 whp over stock.

Fifth, Icebox makes similar midrange and 1-2 whp less peak than an AEM but makes a MUCH less annoying noise.

Cliff Notes: I have dyno'd my 2000 R and my 1998 R with an AEM vs ICEMAN vs homemade intake described vs no stock Resonator and ther reulst I got were mentioned above. Basically leave it alone or pay for the R&D from the big boys. It is more than just cold air but product design that matters. You will likely lose power messing with DIY or free mods.

If you want something quieter that is an effective inatke get the Icebox. If you like or don't mine the noise use an AEM.

Just my findings through the Dyno testing I have done. I have charts that i can post but my webspace is down.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Butt dyno review of my homemade ITR intake... (Asahi)

To Asahi .............
Old 12-13-2002, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To Asahi .............
Old 12-13-2002, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To Asahi .............
Old 12-13-2002, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Butt dyno review of my homemade ITR intake... (uncleben)

This place kills me. I post these reults the first time and everyone is upset about the results. Now everyone agres. Am I just ahead of my time or did people come to their senses?
Old 12-13-2002, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Who knows. I thought everyone knew that the stock intake setup was good and not to take off the box top or take out the resonator, or anything else like that. Oh well, I guess you are ahead of your time.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This place kills me. I post these reults the first time and everyone is upset about the results. Now everyone agres. Am I just ahead of my time or did people come to their senses?
I have been away from the board for quite a few months, and finally am back on a bit, so I didn't see all that ............

But I dynoed each individual part I put on at the same dyno using the same wheel set, in very similar temperatures so that I knew that I was or wasn't gaining power ....... so that is where my experience is coming from.

[Modified by TypeR0207, 2:35 PM 12/13/2002]
Old 12-13-2002, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

But I dynoed each individual part I put on at the same dyno using the same wheel set, in very similar temperatures so that I knew that I was or wasn't gaining power ....... so that is where my experience is coming from.
Me t00. Reduce variable and get the best data you can.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:40 AM

when i took my resonator box off my car seem to flow a little better than before. less restrictions i thought. my rpm was 300 less than when it was before when i would drive at a constant 40 mph. i dunno. i just took it off because i didn't want it. lol

good info asahi
Old 12-13-2002, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Butt dyno review of my homemade ITR intake... (FeeL's gs-R)

Sounds like a guy who was preety bored, but dedicated to the car. Did you ever try using a bypass valve one the AEM? I know peeps say that they don't worth work S**t but worth the try to prevent hydrolocking. Bump for ingenuity
Old 12-13-2002, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

15whp from an AEM CAI is a bit much if you ask me, but hey anything is possible. Asahi's data seems pretty accurate. But I still think AEM/Injen CAI's are overated. The fastest bone stock ITR I've ever seen ran a stock airbox w/ only an APEXi N1 cat back and drag radials to the tune of 14 FLAT @ 99 mph! He's a member of this board who's now gone turbo on his R. (username witheld)
While I was running 3-4 slower with and AEM CAI and 5 Zigen cat-back. He even drove my car and I drove his. He pulled a 14.4 in my car I pulled 14.1 in his. It's not dyno sheets, but its real world data nonetheless.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i took my resonator box off my car seem to flow a little better than before. less restrictions i thought. my rpm was 300 less than when it was before when i would drive at a constant 40 mph. i dunno.
think again
Old 12-13-2002, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Butt dyno review of my homemade ITR intake... (In7egrity)

HP has nothing to do with speed at rpm ..........

Doesn't matter if you have 500 hp ..... as long as you are running the same stock gearing and wheels, then 40 mph will ALWAYS be at the same rpm in the same gear ...........

[Modified by TypeR0207, 4:04 PM 12/13/2002]
Old 12-13-2002, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its b/c they are kissing up to you b/c of the hard work youre doing on the Expo!
Old 12-13-2002, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Butt dyno review of my homemade ITR intake... (H-PIMP)

15whp from an AEM CAI is a bit much if you ask me, but hey anything is possible. Asahi's data seems pretty accurate. But I still think AEM/Injen CAI's are overated. The fastest bone stock ITR I've ever seen ran a stock airbox w/ only an APEXi N1 cat back and drag radials to the tune of 14 FLAT @ 99 mph! He's a member of this board who's now gone turbo on his R. (username witheld)
While I was running 3-4 slower with and AEM CAI and 5 Zigen cat-back. He even drove my car and I drove his. He pulled a 14.4 in my car I pulled 14.1 in his. It's not dyno sheets, but its real world data nonetheless.
It's not necessarily the AEM that's slowing your car down. The 5Zigen exhaust has a lot of bottlenecks and probably doesn't flow as well as the Apexi. Also, not every engine is the same. Your friend might be one of the lucky ones that has an exceptionally strong engine.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Butt dyno review of my homemade ITR intake... (typer193)

I realize it's not good to compare two runs from two diff dates,

ie my base run was done in 70deg temps and my AEM run was done in 60deg temps...but I seriously doubt 10degF in difference is gonna give the gains that I saw.

Unlimited shows the same type of gains with AEM.

GO AEM GO!

Quick Reply: Butt dyno review of my homemade ITR intake...