Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

2 Low Mileage ITR Values

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Low Mileage ITR Values

Lately, I have been debating on whether to sell both of my ITRs. Realistically, these cars are useless to me and I haven't driven either in 3 years. What I am trying to figure out is how much I could get for each of them. I visited NADA and I got some baseline numbers but I am sure NADA does not take into account the low production numbers of these vehicles, so I was hoping to get some opinions from the coummunity that knows them best. The two I have are:

2001 PY ITR with roughly 6,000 miles, bone stock - Flawless - I am the original owner
1998 CW ITR with roughly 12,000 miles bone stock - Nearly Flawless - I am the 2nd owner

The mileages are not typos (and I don't need the comments about making full use of them, so save it). Both have the original tires and oil changes were done on both prior to ever being started after sitting for long periods of time. They are both garaged and up on jack stands. The only maintenance they may need are new batteries to start.

I own both free and clear, I am financially stable and don't need the money for either of them. On the other hand, I'd take the money from them to buy another piece of real estate for some rental income plus someone would actually enjoy them versus collecting dust in my garage. When I bought them, I figured I'd keep them forever, but I've lost all interest in cars due to my career and maybe I've just grown out of them alltogether.

Fact is, I have a dollar amount I'd like to get for them both and if that number is unrealistic, I will keep them both and just hang onto them until I start seeing them on the Barret Jackson Auctions in 40 or 50 years. :OP

What are you opions on what I could reallistically expect to fetch for each.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 03-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2 Low Mileage ITR Values

Wow! :O
Old 03-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to see pictures of those gems.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think you already know your answer - keep 'em on jackstands, get a couple of these - http://www.carcapsule.com/ - and bring 'em to arizona in 40-50 years

in all seriousness though, i think you'd be extremely hard pressed to move them for what you think they're worth right now. my assumption is that you value them at or near the price you originally paid for them (20-25k?), and i just don't think that's realistic. but hey, wouldn't hurt to try if that's the number you have in mind!
Old 03-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 9KRevLimitDC2
I would love to see pictures of those gems.
I'll see what old pics I can dig up. There will be no pics taken of them any time soon. Basically, my entire garage has to be cleaned out just to get to them. That is going to be my spring time project.

Anyone with best guesses on values. Put it this way, if you were in the market for a clean ITR extremely low mileage ITR, I have the one you are looking for. Pick you color. I have 2 of the 3 colors shipped to the US. Reallistically, what would you pay?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

$15,000-$22,000 based on economy, limited production of vehicle, condition and extremely low mileage.

BUT.... that being said, I think these cars should go for atleast $20,000-$24,000
Old 03-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Values are relative to what someone is willing and able to pay. No one who buys either car will be able to get loans, so they would need to have very deep pockets to buy your cars. That in turn reduces the number of potential buyers and thus, the cars' values in this economy. A couple of years ago, people were probably doing cash out refi's to buy toys. That won't be happening anytime soon...
Old 03-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boardkat
i think you already know your answer - keep 'em on jackstands, get a couple of these - http://www.carcapsule.com/ - and bring 'em to arizona in 40-50 years

in all seriousness though, i think you'd be extremely hard pressed to move them for what you think they're worth right now. my assumption is that you value them at or near the price you originally paid for them (20-25k?), and i just don't think that's realistic. but hey, wouldn't hurt to try if that's the number you have in mind!
You eerily good at reading into my post. You point is well taken. I'm still interested in other opinions.

If I sold these cars, I wouldn't have to build the 3 car garage I've been planning. This would be a huge bonus because it would get me out of the doghouse and save me alot of my own labor. The wife is getting tired of parking her car in the driveway, while the ITRs occupy the garage.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have a story behind owning these two Rs? I'd love to hear it haha.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BoS_DC2
$15,000-$22,000 based on economy, limited production of vehicle, condition and extremely low mileage.

BUT.... that being said, I think these cars should go for atleast $20,000-$24,000
I wouldn't settle for a penny less than $25,000
Old 03-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SiClone
Values are relative to what someone is willing and able to pay. No one who buys either car will be able to get loans, so they would need to have very deep pockets to buy your cars. That in turn reduces the number of potential buyers and thus, the cars' values in this economy. A couple of years ago, people were probably doing cash out refi's to buy toys. That won't be happening anytime soon...
I have thought of that. A bank is not going to loan $20K plus for a car whose NADA value is $16,000.

You are alos correct about the deep pockets. Unfortunately, the demongraphic of buyer for this car is your 18-25 year old college kid whos probably doesn't have $20K+ in disposable income.

I kind of know I was married to these for a long time. 5 years ago, I would have been happy saying that, but now, not so much.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SuckMyDOHC
I wouldn't settle for a penny less than $25,000
I'm actually glad to hear that in such a short period of time. Considering their relatively young age. We all know cars are a terrible investment, however that changes when enough people feel the same way you do about a particular vehicle. Then they become collectors' items.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another thing, as someone who is looking to buy a Type R, I've noticed that Type R owners have unrealistic expectations in terms of price. A lot of sellers are asking far too much based on the condition and mileage, especially here on H-T. Their attitude may be "I will just wait for the right buyer" or "I will not sell for that price." From the buyer's perspective, while I would love to own a Type R, I am not going to overpay to get it. I negotiated on 2 different Type R's and both were within $500 of my "buy" price. Obviously, I don't own one yet.

At this point, I guess they will just have to keep enjoying their car and I will keep enjoying my money....
Old 03-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BoS_DC2
Have a story behind owning these two Rs? I'd love to hear it haha.
Not really much to tell.

I bought the 98 in 2000 from this really nice kid/guy (late 20's early 30's age wise) in Boston. It had 5,000 or 5,500 miles on it when I bought it from him. He had it in a parking garage and I think he was getting tired of being worried about it being stollen. I basically drove it on only nice days back and forth to college and commuted in my 90 Integra most of the time. The car never saw the rain while I drove it unless I got caught off guard by a passing thunderstorm. My family thought I was nuts because I'd check the weather just to see if I could drive the ITR. The car never saw snow. I began getting extremely paranoid about theft, fueled mainly by the posts on this forum over the years, so I drove it less and less.

At the end of 2001, my girlfriend decided she liked my sporty Integra so much, she was going to trade in her 98 Civic. Needless to say, I jumped at the opportunity of talking her into the 01 PY. It was the literally the last one in my area that was still for sale. We bought it and I basically drilled it into her head that it would get stolen if she wasn't careful with it. Since we were living together and commuting together so much, neither ITR was on the road that much unless we took them out for weekends. Eventually, she got sick of the paranoia of having to being careful and I bought her 98 Civic Hatch for a commuter car.

When I started modding the hell of the hatch, I had to buy her a quieter car, so we bought a Honda Passport. After the novelty of owning a POS SUV wore off, we sold it and got her a 2000 Civic Coupe. The guy selling the couple needed the money because of a baby on the way, so I sort of took advantage of the situation and beat the guy up on its price. We owned it for 4 years until it was totaled by some jacka$$ old guy who wasn't paying attention. The good thing was that we owned the car for 4 years and I got back more than what we paid for it. Now she drives an 07 AWD IS250. I am jealous that she gets to drive the nice car and I am driving my loud a$$ hatch still. I kind of had to marry the girl or I'd lose the ITR in a nasty breakup. Sacrifices had to be made. :OP

Actually, it is a pretty funny story now that I am thinking about it.

I think the thing that kills me most about these cars is that over the years, I would periodically check this forum and the "Stolen ITR" threads never ceased. In hindsight, my paranoia was pure genius. I knew of 2 ITRs stolen one town over from me years ago and I saw a known ITR thief scoping mine out around that time too. I am actually pretty lucky I have kept them this long with zero issues.

Last edited by Lynx; 03-02-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SiClone
Another thing, as someone who is looking to buy a Type R, I've noticed that Type R owners have unrealistic expectations in terms of price. A lot of sellers are asking far too much based on the condition and mileage, especially here on H-T. Their attitude may be "I will just wait for the right buyer" or "I will not sell for that price." From the buyer's perspective, while I would love to own a Type R, I am not going to overpay to get it. I negotiated on 2 different Type R's and both were within $500 of my "buy" price. Obviously, I don't own one yet.

At this point, I guess they will just have to keep enjoying their car and I will keep enjoying my money....
Hey, I hear you. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I have told countless car salesmen the same thing as I walked away from the lot on cars they were trying to sell me.

The only strength is the limited production compounded by the large number of thefts. The ace up my sleeve is that if I were to decide on selling them, I could wait for the right price until my hair is gray. I don't need the money nor do I really care if they sit another 8 years in my garage.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Wow, I hope you dont have stuff sitting on your R's..... You have 2 of the most desired R's in the country, for the right buyer....

Last edited by wegotmorrison; 03-02-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Collector-o-Guns and Drinker

Sounds like you can afford to sit on them. I'd put up a website asking sticker for each and see where it goes. Somewhere out there, there's a buyer who will pay.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Definitely sit on them.... Until someone on H-T or I win the lotto. Then we'll talk!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man this just sucks.
I would love to own a low mile mint stock condition R that came for the first owner.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Splat
Sounds like you can afford to sit on them. I'd put up a website asking sticker for each and see where it goes. Somewhere out there, there's a buyer who will pay.
Yep. You're pretty much trying to find a buyer who wants these as a collectible. They are absolutely worth mid-20s right now. In the past year or so I've seen a few ultra-low mileage ITRs sell in the mid-20s, $26k was the highest for a 987 mile '97. Someone who is willing to pay that isn't going to be worried about bank loans and is not looking for a weekend track caR or DD. Chances are they can still buy one even with this "economy" problem.

Best of luck, hope you keep em...or they go to a similar home.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've been looking for a 98 CW low mile car for 2 years now........
Old 03-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive been contemplating selling mine which is at 35k...but it just isnt the right time. Ive also kind of lost interest in the car scene (more in to bikes now), plus not being really able to drive the car, makes it pointless to keep it. I just plan to keep it and see how long it takes for our economy to turn around. But its great to hear we still have some pristine low milage Rs still alive!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DeDonDeRosa
i've been looking for a 98 CW low mile car for 2 years now........
And your point is....?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lynx
The two I have are:

2001 PY ITR with roughly 6,000 miles, bone stock - Flawless - I am the original owner
1998 CW ITR with roughly 12,000 miles bone stock - Nearly Flawless - I am the 2nd owner
Both caRs are worth about $20-25k each but getting that money now would be difficult due to the economy. I think your best bet would be keeping both of them, at least until the economy picks up.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:00 PM

Now is NOT the time to sell them, Just keep them in the garage until the market comes back.
Personally I would never take a penny less then $30,000 for either, call me crazy But look at collector cars from 25+ years ago. they are worth serious money and deserve it.
So do yours.
If you have to build an additional garage to satisfy your wife, the $5000-10000 for that is worth it in many ways.

Quick Reply: 2 Low Mileage ITR Values