00-0016 Restoration Begins

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 00-0016 Restoration Begins

Originally Posted by dave7
What kind of header are you getting?
With cost in mind, I went and got the exact same DC Sports 4-1 new for around $277 shipped. I just want to get this thing on the road.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Prudz_lude
Ground control with koni yellows. Adjustable damping on the koni's, ground controls are made to your spec. You can choose the spring rate and they are height adjustable. It has been a tried a tested combo for over a decade.
Yeah, I've been reading quite a bit on the GC/Koni set up. It's on the list of potentials.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Header arrived. Found some elbow grease and got it on. Now waiting for O2 sensor.

Last edited by EmeraldTuning; 02-28-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found your Tube channel. Subscribed.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ****
Found your Tube channel. Subscribed.
Thanks for the sub.

So the weekend came and went with a few things done, and not done.

I installed the Hasport Torque Mounts and had an easy time doing the driver side. No need to lower the engine, and it fit like a glove. The passenger side? Well, that was different. The two vertical hex bolts got about half way in, then decided to stop. At this point, I may try and impact them in to place, or re-tap the hole because the threads on the bolts look fine, so I think it may be a issue with the mounting points. Still a work in progress.

I thought the exhaust manifold leak was resolved with the new header being installed, but alas, it was not. The cat and header just don't meet up properly for some reason, and although I was able to connect them, the clearances were so stretched the leak was still there. I decided then to buy a new test pipe, and exhaust system, so that should arrive this week. If those don't fit and not leak, I think I am cursed.

New rear bumper beam arrived, and it looks so NICE! I also received the POR15 anti rust paint so I can begin to work the underside of the car in certain areas to take care of the surface rust.

Also found out one of the rear wheel studs is totally jacked, so I will have to replace one of those. While I'm back there I will get the speed bleeders installed in the rear and perhaps attempt to paint the rear calipers.

As it sits, car is on the jack stands waiting for new exhaust system and test pipe. More to come.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The DC headers aren't the best quality. With these caRs it pays to get quality parts.

What kind of exhaust are you getting?
Old 03-05-2018, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Look at the other website for your fitment problem on the cat.

https://www.typerclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=252
Old 03-06-2018, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

EmeraldTuning can you post the link to your youtube channel?
Old 03-06-2018, 11:13 AM
Beard

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcK...XNHIUFyu4lBLPA
Old 03-06-2018, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks
Old 03-07-2018, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EmeraldTuning
At this point, I may try and impact them in to place,
Don't do that. Put some copper anti-seize on them. And then put them in by hand. DAMHIK

I enjoyed your youtube videos. Although, I have to say that they are cringe-worthy. I'm glad I got lucky when I bought my PY sight-unseen, and have no rust. Hang in there.

Cap
Old 03-08-2018, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the kind words. Yeah, the rust is definitely cringe worthy, but nothing is rotting on the car, except that small bit on the quarters. All the frame rust is surface and I'm about to attack it with sandpaper and POR15.

Anyway, got the stock exhaust and cat off last night. Of course, O2 secondary is rounding off, so I ordered a new Bosch replacement to thrown on there once the new test pipe and exhaust arrive this week.

While I have the car on jacks I think I will start treating the surface rust parts and replace the rear bumper beam. That should be quite the sight. I will make a video on that.

I've also been looking at reman'd calipers. I think it may be worth just throwing down on some fresh remans over trying to pull off the old ones and sand, paint, etc. The fronts can be had for super cheap, where as the rears are a bit more. Still deciding though.

The more I get under the car and look at it, the more stuff I see I need to address, but hell, it gives me a hobby. Hopefully will be on the road by end of month.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stin1
Look at the other website for your fitment problem on the cat.

https://www.typerclub.org/forums/vie....php?f=5&t=252
Thanks for posting that. I have the stock cat and exhaust off the car now so I can do a bit more research to understand why I was having issues.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In answer to your question on the YouTube video the b pipe should be longer on a jdm b pipe to make up for the shorter cat . The jdm one has only one catalyst vs the two parts in usdm models. Not sure what you have going on. Possibly the aftermarket dc sports is wrong length? Are you using the proper oem spring bolts?
Old 03-13-2018, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In answer to your question on the YouTube video the b pipe should be longer on a jdm b pipe to make up for the shorter cat . The jdm one has only one catalyst vs the two parts in usdm models. Not sure what you have going on. Possibly the aftermarket dc sports is wrong length? Are you using the proper oem spring bolts?
You know I'm really at a loss right now. The header that came with the car, another DC Sports Ceramic, had a two inch or so piece welded to the end, no doubt done to address the gap that I am currently experiencing. Why? No frigging clue. The part number on the header matches the part number for the USDM ITR. I would think it would bolt in perfectly, not end up short.

I'm aware of the size differences with the JDM and USDM cats, but the gap length I'm experiencing of about 2-2.5 inches just can't be from that. The cat length is 17.5 or so, as I measured it. Now that the whole system is off the car, it looks complete, as in I can't see any obvious changes.

The spring bolts is an interesting suggestion, but as my brother and I were forcing the cat to fit with the header, it was SOOOO tight, that I can't imagine at a different set of bolts would have resulted in anything better.

I have the new exhaust coming, along with an adjustable Blox test pipe. The Invidia was back ordered until next month. Once I get those pieces we will see how it all fits up.

I am going to try and separate the cat from the b-pipe, but that may require me to bust out the torch and more.

Of course, I am new to the DC2, so perhaps I am just over thinking this.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am in az as well. Idk where you are located but I have a toda header and test pipe that I personally removed from mine and I know it fits. If you are close enough maybe I can meet up with you and you can compare them. Maybe you have a civic b pipe is another thought. I saw that janky extension on the old one. The thread I posted seems to suggest maybe the aftermarket is wrong on fitment too.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am in az as well. Idk where you are located but I have a toda header and test pipe that I personally removed from mine and I know it fits. If you are close enough maybe I can meet up with you and you can compare them. Maybe you have a civic b pipe is another thought. I saw that janky extension on the old one. The thread I posted seems to suggest maybe the aftermarket is wrong on fitment too.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

AZ too? Fantastic.

I'm down in Tucson. Why did you remove the Toda and test? I'd be interested in the Toda if it still has some good miles left. Let me know!

I also thought about the B-pipe being either Civic or GSR. I'm gonna get home tonight and try to clean it up a bit and look for part numbers.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have grown old . I can't stand the smell of a test pipe. Is it slower? Yes . I am not racing it so that doesn't matter to me. I am also a big oem fan. I am 100 ish miles north of you .
Old 03-14-2018, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have grown old . I can't stand the smell of a test pipe. Is it slower? Yes . I am not racing it so that doesn't matter to me. I am also a big oem fan. I am 100 ish miles north of you .
Very cool. I may PM you about that Toda header at some point.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Very cool. I may PM you about that Toda header at some point.
sounds good. Good luck with the restoration.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick update:

I said "****, I can't stand it," and ordered a set of OEM torque mounts to go back in the car. The HASPORT torque mounts were just too much for me. Call me a lightweight, but I just couldn't take it.

Was planning on a Spoon carbon lip, but $700 shipped or so is just too damn rich for me, so a Spoon-style Seibon lip, fits me fine. If I ended up cracking it, I won't cry nearly as hard, and the savings can go towards other more critical mechanical pieces That should take care of the front as soon as it arrives. Once it does, that and the torque mounts will go in, and then I will tackle the rear brakes at some point.

Then, it's suspension time. I have a few ideas in my brain, with a new contender, the Meister R CRD now on the list.

More to come.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:29 AM
Beard

My "spoon" style carbon creation lip arrives today. Ive been told fitment is actually spot on. Also got a Seibon CF hood today too. Loving following this thread, keep it up.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rguy
My "spoon" style carbon creation lip arrives today. Ive been told fitment is actually spot on. Also got a Seibon CF hood today too. Loving following this thread, keep it up.
Congrats!

Please let me know how install goes, any advice, etc.

Where did you pick it up from? I found mine for $440 shipped from THMotorsports.com

I'm thinking about the hood at some point as well. Keep me posted and TAKE PICS!

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2018, 05:18 AM
Beard

Congrats!

Please let me know how install goes, any advice, etc.

Where did you pick it up from? I found mine for $440 shipped from THMotorsports.com

I'm thinking about the hood at some point as well. Keep me posted and TAKE PICS!

Thanks!

I got it here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/94-01-Acura....c100290.m3507

With the 15% discount its not bad.

Quick Reply: 00-0016 Restoration Begins