Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

00-0016 Restoration Begins

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00-0016 Restoration Begins

Good afternoon!

As the new owner of 00-0016, I am excited to have finally secured my own PY ITR. This has been a dream of mine for the last 20 years or so it feels good to finally be in a position to buy and restore one.

You can follow the restoration on my youtube channel, same name as here. I will have a ton of questions as I work through this, so I look forward to chatting with you all.

I have some parts on the way, some OEM, some aftermarket. Much more to come!
Old 02-19-2018, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 00-0016 Restoration Begins

Congratulations!!

I was looking hard at that car from Texas but the rust issues swayed me away. I ended up buying a Southern California PY R in really good shape. Good luck on the restoration!
Old 02-19-2018, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thrust
Congratulations!!

I was looking hard at that car from Texas but the rust issues swayed me away. I ended up buying a Southern California PY R in really good shape. Good luck on the restoration!
Ahhh yes, the rust.

I was OK with taking on the challenge, but the rust was worse in the rear, especially the crash bar, than I expected. This of course is the risk of buying sight unseen. I will have to replace the entire crash bar at some point in the near future along with some surface rust issues here and there. The quarter panels are going to be interesting. I'm debating whether to cut out the rust and try to make it look OEM again, or perhaps clean it up, and run an over fender or something. At this point I haven't decided.

I almost had a meltdown, but got some perspective on it. It's a car that I can take my time and make right. Luckily here in AZ, it's dry as hell, almost literally, so I should be able to tackle the rust.

Congrats on your new car as well!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes i was going to mention that since you are in Arizona that the climate will help with the rust. I look forward to seeing where your car progresses! Im glad it went to someone that would take better care of it.

Here is mine:
Old 02-19-2018, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes i was going to mention that since you are in Arizona that the climate will help with the rust. I look forward to seeing where your car progresses! Im glad it went to someone that would take better care of it.

Here is mine:
NIIICEEE!

Yeah, I won't ever get rid of it, so it's with me until it dies, or I do (knocks on wood).

I like those 16 inch JDM wheels. I've also contemplated remove the mudflaps on mine as well. It's just another area for moisture to sit and degrade the car.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EmeraldTuning
NIIICEEE!

Yeah, I won't ever get rid of it, so it's with me until it dies, or I do (knocks on wood).

I like those 16 inch JDM wheels. I've also contemplated remove the mudflaps on mine as well. It's just another area for moisture to sit and degrade the car.
Yes the PO was kind enough to give me both the USDM and the JDM set.

I like the mudflaps personally but as you mentioned that is an area where water/moisture will collect. I still have the original fender lip moulding on my car and im contemplating on removing them because of that same problem...

Old 02-19-2018, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes the PO was kind enough to give me both the USDM and the JDM set.

I like the mudflaps personally but as you mentioned that is an area where water/moisture will collect. I still have the original fender lip moulding on my car and im contemplating on removing them because of that same problem...

I took mine (fender trim) off this weekend. Of course I did so in order to look for rust, and luckily its mostly at the rear portion. The trim by the door has some coloring, but nothing worse. I'm going to grind that stuff away and use touch up paint for now until I can get a body shop to really clean it up for me.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like you got a solid plan for her. Look forward to seeing the progress. Mine is also undergoing quite a bit of an overhaul to freshen up 18 years of use lol.

Here she is at it currently sits... I literally just bought this car a week ago.

You can follow my build on Instagram if you have it.

Instagram.com/blueprint12
Old 02-19-2018, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like you got a solid plan for her. Look forward to seeing the progress. Mine is also undergoing quite a bit of an overhaul to freshen up 18 years of use lol.

Here she is at it currently sits... I literally just bought this car a week ago.

You can follow my build on Instagram if you have it.

Instagram.com/blueprint12
I will be sure to follow. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m confused who’s build thread is this?

OP looking forward to updates!
Old 02-19-2018, 12:12 PM
I shoot brides

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats to you both for getting an ITR

y shi - who looks fwd to meeting thrust and seeing his ITR at a future Cars & Coffee Southbay
Old 02-19-2018, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by yoshi234
Congrats to you both for getting an ITR

y shi - who looks fwd to meeting thrust and seeing his ITR at a future Cars & Coffee Southbay
I'll be at the next one!
Old 02-20-2018, 12:33 AM
Painfully Stupid

Been following you on Youtube.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PaulMc
Been following you on Youtube.
Thanks!

Tomorrow is the valve adjustment and headlight restoration. Then a few more parts should be arriving in the next week.

The previous owner felt so badly about the rear crash bar rust he is sending me some cash as a refund, which I greatly appreciate. I'll use it to replace the crash bar and some other OEM bits that need it. And get a tint!
Old 02-20-2018, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll be at the next one!
I won't be able to hit up my local Cars n Coffee until some time in April. At least that will give me time to get more stuff done.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll get a video up, but the new door trim came in to replace the worn and cracked pieces. Nothing feels better than new OEM parts going on the car.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I liked the f bombs in the video. I would have been dropping them too. Good luck on the rebuild.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stin1
I liked the f bombs in the video. I would have been dropping them too. Good luck on the rebuild.
I finally knew what it felt like to get "triggered."

I'm still not happy that I over-payed for the car, but hell, it's my ITR, and now I get to make it perfect the way I went. #YOLO #MidlifeCrisis
Old 02-22-2018, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I feel that pain. I think a lot of people have had to reverse horrible mods. I'm going to start a thread so we can all share in each other's pain lol
Old 02-22-2018, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by touringteg
I feel that pain. I think a lot of people have had to reverse horrible mods. I'm going to start a thread so we can all share in each other's pain lol
It get's better.

Got a call from the shop. Whenever transmission work was done previously they reinstalled the wrong bolt which caused a leak, which pushed up against the rear mount bracket so it wouldn't seat properly. So that's cool.

There is also a hole in the rusty header, which I assumed there was a leak. I was right. Due to that, I'm living YOLO so I ordered a new header because I don't want to play the game of whack a mole with patching a rusty header to have one come back again. At the same time I ordered the T1R racing "converter" with CEL eliminator because #YOLO.

Also found out axle seal on passengers was torn and leaking, so that's being fixed too.

Thank baby Jesus the VA came through with some 9/11 bill funds because its paying for all this. #YOLO
Old 02-25-2018, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, what a weekend.

Got the DC header off the car, which has a leak and will be replaced. While doing that I find out the O2 sensor is seized on there, then of course began rounded off, so a new one was ordered.

At least I got an oil change in with Eneos 5W30, also did a transmission fluid swap with Motul 300. Spoon air cleaner also arrived and went in. Now, the car will sit until the new header shows up and O2 sensor so I can install them and final get the car on the road.

Oh yeah, also discovered that the torque mounts **** the bed years ago, so I ordered a set of Hasport torque mounts in 62A duro to replace em. At least the other mounts appeared solid. The bushings on the other hand, HOLY ****, I will have quite the time replacing all of them. I haven't ordered the Energy Suspension kit yet, but that will happen.

Now, for any of your, I need some suspension advice. I'm thinking about a spring/strut combo of Tein H-techs and either Koni or Bilstein. Any suggestions? I wanted a spring just slightly stiffer spring rating than stock, which gives a small drop. In terms of dampening, I would love the adjust-ability of the Konis. Input is always welcome.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ground control with koni yellows. Adjustable damping on the koni's, ground controls are made to your spec. You can choose the spring rate and they are height adjustable. It has been a tried a tested combo for over a decade.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of header are you getting?
Old 02-25-2018, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man i have a new set of Hasport 62a mounts for you... I decided to go with a black set.

If u still need em let me know.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man i have a new set of Hasport 62a mounts for you... I decided to go with a black set.

If u still need em let me know.

I'll keep you posted. For now, the new torque mounts should suffice. I will eventually go all Hasport 62A.

Quick Reply: 00-0016 Restoration Begins