Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Why would an exhaust get louder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why would an exhaust get louder?

I have a megan 4-1 header, carsound cat and a rsr exmag currently on my car. Before that I had an n1 style catback, obx header and test pipe. After that, same header, ebay hi flow cat, and custom bent piping into autozone muffler. All of them seemed to get louder, and raspier. The rsr isn't really raspy, yet, but it did get louder. Some people told me before it might be my cat is messed up. but iunno. Anyone have any experience? Is it just the exhaust breaking in? iunno.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:26 PM
They let me pick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why would an exhaust get louder? (93_teg_CT)

that's just the exhaust breaking in.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Why would an exhaust get louder? (mrdeadman)

That or your developing a leak somewhere. Had the samething happen to me with a Greddy Evo... sounded nice for some time and just got nasty after a while... turns out the a weld had started to corrode and finally just gave up completely!
Old 03-22-2006, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why would an exhaust get louder? (mrdeadman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrdeadman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that's just the exhaust breaking in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

WTF???? Ive never heard of an exhaust breaking in. I think its all in ur head. Youre just getting used to the sound. If you are worried, check the cat and make sure it is not gummed up or the "honeycomb" is not detereorating.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why would an exhaust get louder? (RIP Indian Larry)

custom bent piping from autozone is where your problem is coming from. I'm assuming there isnt a resonator in the cat back piping?
Old 03-22-2006, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Why would an exhaust get louder? (iH8RICERZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iH8RICERZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">custom bent piping from autozone is where your problem is coming from. I'm assuming there isnt a resonator in the cat back piping? </TD></TR></TABLE>

reread first post

I have a megan 4-1 header, carsound cat and a rsr exmag currently on my car.Before that I had an n1 style catback, obx header and test pipe. After that, same header, ebay hi flow cat, and custom bent piping into autozone muffler. All of them seemed to get louder, and raspier. The rsr isn't really raspy, yet, but it did get louder. Some people told me before it might be my cat is messed up. but iunno. Anyone have any experience? Is it just the exhaust breaking in? iunno.

I was saying how I had the same problem with three different exhaust.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Why would an exhaust get louder? (93_teg_CT)

Its either a growing exhaust hole somewhere or you have a glasspack muffler. If its a leak somewhere weld it up, it could be the welds on the exhaust piping so if you did it yourself fix it and if not, complain to the exhaust shop for not welding it up good enough and get 'em to do if for free lol. If you have a glasspack muffler, like "RIP Indian Larry" was getting at, the muffler gets "broken in," the insulation in the muffler that restricts noise breaks apart, and so less insulation=more noise. Check up on either, and good luck man!
Old 03-22-2006, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Why would an exhaust get louder? (morocco)

the packing in the muffler does wear out after alot of use. I have had 4 different exhausts on my gsr and they all do it after a few months of being hooked up. nothing to worry about.