Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Why Hasnt someone Recreated the OEM kit in urethane yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Hasnt someone Recreated the OEM kit in urethane yet?

Im browseing sites, and I see all over ITR front lip replica blah blah We know about that.

As we all know currently all we have available is a fiberglass replica of our desidred oem Kit for the sides and rear.

When Will someone take the step up and Produce this for us. Its a big seller and whoever does this is guaranteed to make money.

I can personally say If the copies are just like origional Ill pay a nice price for them since they would be made of urethane.

There are some really resourceful people on this site, someone take their oem lips off and get them copied!

Is this possible?
Old 09-11-2005, 10:21 PM
I drive a G35, it's silver, surprised?

Default Re: Why Hasnt someone Recreated the OEM kit in urethane yet? (vtecluder97)

Im not sure what you mean. There's copies of copies floating around of the OEM kit. Check on Ebay.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Why Hasnt someone Recreated the OEM kit in urethane yet? (carma_626)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carma_626 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im not sure what you mean. There's copies of copies floating around of the OEM kit. Check on Ebay.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But those are mostly if not all fiber glass reproductions. I think what he means is for someone on here ( H-T ) or somewhere else, take off their OEM kits, get a mold made and remake them in polyurethane. Not sure if he meant to include the optional side skirts and rear lips.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why Hasnt someone Recreated the OEM kit in urethane yet? (Naruto)

there was actually a guy that gathered alot of people and wrote a letter to wings west to see if they would make a replica of it. they told him that making a urathane mold is very costly and time consuming and because the car is old and no longer in production they felt that it wouldnt be a great investment in making them.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Why Hasnt someone Recreated the OEM kit in urethane yet? (drastikchangez)

seriously. if the kit was more readily available to people. it loses value. the reason they are priced so high now is supply and demand.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Why Hasnt someone Recreated the OEM kit in urethane yet? (mystikalstriker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mystikalstriker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">seriously. if the kit was more readily available to people. it loses value. the reason they are priced so high now is supply and demand. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree...and to play both sides here....what about those people that want a quality reproduction but don't want to pay a rediculous price for it? So far as I've noticed, there's a price range from $500 - $1000 for the full kit. Now if you're piecing it together it depends. But really.....I know there are those willing to pay within that bracket...but how many others are searching for a better price without having to settle for fiberglass reproductions?
Old 09-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id buy one for the right price bump
Old 09-12-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Why Hasnt someone Recreated the OEM kit in urethane yet? (SilentHill)

urethane parts are actually easier to create but the molding is what stopping most people.

you need to create 4 seperate moldings out of cast aluminum, then pour in liquid hot urethane into the mold and let it set. then it has to spin round and round to get rid of the air bubbles. the molding may also have to be heated also to help create a better kit.

no one is willing to invest that much.

fiberglass is cheaper and isnt a risk seeing that it a make when needed type of deal.

however, if the with the urethane molding, if you dont sell your products, then ur stock at a loss. huge loss.

for what? so that 10 people can have their kits?

unless acura wants to sell me their old molds for the kit. i wouldnt want to take a big of a risk.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Why Hasnt someone Recreated the OEM kit in urethane yet? (verbal assassin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by verbal assassin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
however, if the with the urethane molding, if you dont sell your products, then ur stock at a loss. huge loss.

for what? so that 10 people can have their kits?

unless acura wants to sell me their old molds for the kit. i wouldnt want to take a big of a risk. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well said.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if u go to wings west's website and put in 94 acura integra 2 door, the first listing is a type R front end for the 94-97 integras. Im pretty sure its a whole front bumper though.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why Hasnt someone Recreated the OEM kit in urethane yet? (GWInquisitor14)

newman @ jdmshit mentioned a possible kit in the works a loooong time ago, i guess that possibility came and went...
Old 09-12-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Why Hasnt someone Recreated the OEM kit in urethane yet? (dFreezy)

well, they do make type R lips with abs plastic. maybe, all they have to do is use urethane materials instead of plastic beads to make the lip and bamn,,,,,,, u got a urethane lip instead of abs plastic.

dont know how it works though. but yeah, i have an ABS plastic lip is it fits perfect. doesnt look rugged as urethane though.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:13 PM

ok I dont know much about body kits but i know fiberglass...Now give me the pro's and cons on fiberglass and urethane for the oem kits
Old 09-12-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Re: (Baron55)

fiberglass, when comes in contact with concrete, breaks like cheap wood. then continues to drag on the asphault as you drive. looking like S. isnt flexible, not durable.

urethane, when comes in contact with concrete, flexes and bounces back into shape leaving the kit in tact. paint may chip off. feels like hard rubber.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Re: (verbal-assassin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by verbal-assassin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">fiberglass, when comes in contact with concrete, breaks like cheap wood. then continues to drag on the asphault as you drive. looking like S. isnt flexible, not durable.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

true for the most part. But it also depends on how well they were made and the angle of impact. I've had a fiberglass lower lip on my car for the longest time. Pot hole after pot hole ( our streets out here suck! ) it never broke. Scraped a lil here n there...and barely even chipped. But it never broke........until......I was coming onto the street from a gas station and failed to notice how steep that ramp was ( and yes...this happened EVEN when trying to go at it at an extreme angle! )
Old 09-13-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Re: (Naruto)

yeah, i wasnt detailed. im talking about major impacts here. fiberglass handle any major impact, while most urethane lip will bounce right back into shape.

bumpers on the other hand, can handle a small amount of impact, which is why most bumpers are now made of urethane instead of aluminum. even the saturn door panels are made of urethane.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:31 PM

Default Re: (verbal-assassin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by verbal-assassin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, i wasnt detailed. im talking about major impacts here. fiberglass handle any major impact, while most urethane lip will bounce right back into shape.

bumpers on the other hand, can handle a small amount of impact, which is why most bumpers are now made of urethane instead of aluminum. even the saturn door panels are made of urethane.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree .... But I still think it depends on how the impact occured. I have a friend with an EG coupe that had ( noticed I said had ) a full fiberglass body kit. Funny thing was, one time on the highway a 2x 4 dropped off a truck i swerved outta the way but my friend couldn't react in time. He hit it hard! didn't crack his bumper .....but later that night, he hit a huge pot hole and his bumper cracked all the way up n down in 3 different spots lol..... That was the third one he's had destroyed. After that, he swore off fiberglass forever......
Old 09-15-2005, 01:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Naruto)

REAL **** IS ALWAYS BETTER!!!
http://hondamarketplace.com/zerothread?id=1371833