Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

GRINDING NOISE SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GRINDING NOISE SOLVED

Solution to the grinding noise in my 1995 Integra Sedan: The whole time I have had the car, it's had a terrible 'grinding' sound. I rebuilt the transmission when I replaced the clutch, and while the bearings were destroyed, the sound didn't go away. I just replaced the water pump and did a Gates timing component kit as well, hoping that was it. After starting the car and still hearing it, I was at a loss. My brother said something I thought was dumb, "It's coming from the front bumper!" Then upon leaning on the bumper to tell him it couldn't possibly be coming from the bumper, the noise went away. Lol Turned out these plastic pieces in the front bumper were the cause. (In case anyone else is having this issue.) The noise was made worse in my case due to the Yonaka Polyurethane engine mounts I installed. Hope this helps someone else who is worried about the same noise. Good luck!

Old 10-12-2018, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: GRINDING NOISE SOLVED

Wow that is funny as hell! Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

gates is on my sh*tlist after one of their coolant pumps failed after 5 years.
aisin or npw is the way to go for the pump.
now also rocking a bando timing belt and koyo tensioner.
no more gates chinesium junk ever. 8( f u gates!
tbk timing belt kits do not contain gates products or other non-japan trash, hooray!

Amazon Amazon

Old 10-12-2018, 11:24 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by tamboo
tbk timing belt kits do not contain gates products or other non-japan trash, hooray!

https://www.amazon.com/s/139-0133576...tag=mozilla-20
so interesting, others swear on the bible its the ****. guess its not up to oem specs
Old 10-15-2018, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tamboo

https://www.amazon.com/s/139-0133576...tag=mozilla-20
I've always heard Gates is the ****. I do remember a friend having an issue with his Gates timing belt, tho. Hopefully I wont have any issues. Fingers crossed!
Old 10-22-2018, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I just got a t-belt kit from Amazon that came with a Mitsuboshi belt, and NPW water pump, plus tensioner and a bunch of gaskets and oil seals. Also picked up a Fel-Pro Permadry blue oil pan gasket with the metal frame. Hope everything holds up. After years of spending tons of cash on OEM Honda parts, at 365,000 miles I just didn't feel like spending $300+ for a timing belt job when the Amazon kit with Japanese parts was less than $100.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I just got a t-belt kit from Amazon that came with a Mitsuboshi belt, and NPW water pump, plus tensioner and a bunch of gaskets and oil seals. Also picked up a Fel-Pro Permadry blue oil pan gasket with the metal frame. Hope everything holds up. After years of spending tons of cash on OEM Honda parts, at 365,000 miles I just didn't feel like spending $300+ for a timing belt job when the Amazon kit with Japanese parts was less than $100.
if your oil pan leaks due to damaged dimples then you’ll want to install a new pan with that double sided felpro gasket or it will continue to leak
Old 10-22-2018, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Free Man

if your oil pan leaks due to damaged dimples then you’ll want to install a new pan with that double sided felpro gasket or it will continue to leak
I hope it isn't. Pan has only been off of the engine one time, back in 2008 when I replaced the original gasket at 270,000 miles with a new OEM gasket. The engine was out of the car, upside down on a stand so I was able to set the new OEM Honda gasket in place on the bottom of the block, then drop the pan down on top of it, and (carefully) torque to spec. 10 years later now it's leaking again, at least I think it is, unless it's something above leaking down. Engine will be in the car this time, but my gasket came with those ingenious little plastic Felpro things that help hold the gasket up in place while you lift up the oil pan.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

if fel-pro could just rip off the hondahabit gasket theyd have a winner.
until then the latter wins.
the snap up thingies are genius though, hanging on to mine for the next
sh*tshow. found these oil pans on the cheap that come in a honda box.
total steal since most stealerships want $200+!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Oil-...nn5W:rk:1:pf:0
Old 10-22-2018, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since you seem to be trying to do it once and do it right, you might as well invest in a set of oil pan studs from Honda habit

i think the felpro permadry steel core gasket is similar to the one on hondahabit

Btw, $120 for a pan? Ugh. I bought a new pan for my 93 integra from autozone for $70.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Since you seem to be trying to do it once and do it right, you might as well invest in a set of oil pan studs from Honda habit

i think the felpro permadry steel core gasket is similar to the one on hondahabit

Btw, $120 for a pan? Ugh. I bought a new pan for my 93 integra from autozone for $70.
P72 pans for B18 VTEC engines command quite a bit higher price than the non-VTEC oil pans, which have a shallower oil pickup. The VTEC oil pans will fit non-VTEC engines, but not vice versa.

What's the advantage of having all studs on the block?
Old 10-23-2018, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

P72 pans for B18 VTEC engines command quite a bit higher price than the non-VTEC oil pans, which have a shallower oil pickup. The VTEC oil pans will fit non-VTEC engines, but not vice versa.

What's the advantage of having all studs on the block?
i think the stock setup is a mix of studs and bolts which causes uneven sealing characteristics... also repeatedly removing and installing those bolts can lead to stripping in the block which would be a terrible, horrible, nasty thing to deal with.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think the stock setup is a mix of studs and bolts which causes uneven sealing characteristics... also repeatedly removing and installing those bolts can lead to stripping in the block which would be a terrible, horrible, nasty thing to deal with.
Interesting. Well the pan has only been off of my B18C1 once, about 10 years ago. So hopefully it's still okay.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got a link for this kit? I'm about to do another rebuild and I'm feeling the same way.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

18 years and 190k kms on mine and no leaks. I just retorqued my oil pan bolts and nuts as some were looser than others. Using the oem gasket is easy just use a jack to hold it in place as you torque down the bolts and nuts at your own pace no need for anything else despite the felpro gaskets having added features.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^
yessir.

jacking up the oil pan is easier than using those plastic place holders.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by milano2kdc2
Got a link for this kit? I'm about to do another rebuild and I'm feeling the same way.
I went with this kit which includes all the top end gaskets and oil seals, the front main seal for the oil pump, and the timing belt, water pump and tensioner.
Amazon Amazon

I also got the oil pan gasket, a new OEM Honda oil pickup gasket, and a new OEM Honda o-ring for the oil pump (not in this kit).