Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Thought tranny grind was blown 3rd synchro...but was shift linkage prob?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thought tranny grind was blown 3rd synchro...but was shift linkage prob?

To give you an idea of what we're working with, this is a Ls/Vtec motor with a B18a block and a JDM B16 hydro tranny. When the tranny was installed (roughly 3,000 miles after motor was put in) it fit in reasonably well. My stock LS shift linkage was used (so I was told) and the tranny shifted in and out of gears fine. I did notice a slight sticking feeling when the shifter was put into 2nd gear and then back into neutral. The shifter wanted to stay in between 1st and 2nd gear (still neutral) but had to be pushed over to the right to get it into true neutral (between 3rd and 4th gear). It made a little clicking sound pretty often when I tried to push it back into true neutral.

Long story short, I raced the car at the track a couple of times until on one run the tranny didn't want to be pushed into 3rd gear, making a horrible grinding noise. I thought my 3rd hear sychro was blown out up until today because every time I would shift from 2nd the 3rd (pushing up-and-to-the-right) above 4,000rpm it would grind.

So today I was having a little fun and not caring if it ground at all when I shifted from 2nd to 3rd. I revved 2nd gear up to 7,000rpm, the pushed up and over into true neutral, pulled back slightly towards 4th (but not into the gear) to get past that sticky point, and pushed straight into 3rd. NO GRIND!

So what I'm really asking is if this could have been caused by a bent or improperly installed shift linkage. Could this be why it has always wanted to stay in between 1st and 2nd and not all the way between 3rd and 4th?

I know some of you have probably dealt with this before, so gimme all valuable info you've got. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thought tranny grind was blown 3rd synchro...but was shift linkage prob? (Quiks66)

BUMP

Anyone have this prob? Thanx
Old 03-15-2004, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thought tranny grind was blown 3rd synchro...but was shift linkage prob? (Quiks66)

BUMP for all you lazy f@cks who are too impatient to read about a REAL tech problem as opposed to "will my 4dr rear glass swap into a 2dr hatch" questions.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quiks66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BUMP for all you lazy f@cks who are too impatient to read about a REAL tech problem as opposed to "will my 4dr rear glass swap into a 2dr hatch" questions. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You'll get more responses by saying please than by slamming a narrow segment of the board. Some of us trying to answer questions as we get to them, often during lulls at work...

I don't have experience with the JDM B16 tranny, but I understand that all B-series trannys have pretty much the same case dimensions, at least if you stay within the respective cable clutch and hydro clutch camps. Unless the transmission's physical mounting location is off due to mount problems or frame problems, the shift linkage, which is specific for each body style/engine family combination, should work. It's very possible that when you took your time shifting, you allowed the engine/tranny to get back to a position where the shift linkage works properly. When you are shifting quickly, as in racing, you are usually reaching for a gear as the engine/tranny are recoiling from when you cut power and apply clutch, much as you would move inside the car when shifting gears.

However, worst case would be a bad third gear syncro/hub, something that I recently had repaired in my '97 GSR. If I rushed the shift, it would not engage despite the shift lever feeling like it did. It would also jump out of third while curving left or making left turns. It doesn't sound like that in your case. Check all of your engine/tranny mounts for wear so you can at least eliminate that as a contributing problem...
Old 03-16-2004, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thought tranny grind was blown 3rd synchro...but was shift linkage prob? (roadrunner)

heres my expereience with b series trannys.

my gsr tranny(94'): would grind into 3rd, go into 4th fine, but NEVER downshift from 4th to 3rd, no matter what, unless the car was setting still.

i thought it may be a shift linkage prob. , that, or a internally bent shift fork.

proved to be internal

i now have a civic type r lsd tranny in my gsr. still using the same linkage, but NO problems AT ALL, no grinds, i can downshift now, and it's awesome.

back when i had old motor mounts, it was REALLY hard to put into reverse, like i was pushing against thick mudd, and did what you was talking about not going into center(neutral)..

i could start going in reverse...part throttle-part clutch..then release the clutch, and BAM! my mount would bang the firewall...the mount was KILLED..replaced, FIXED

-darrin
Old 03-17-2004, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thought tranny grind was blown 3rd synchro...but was shift linkage prob? (darrinbrewer)

Thanks for the feedback. My mounts are all OK, checked them today. As for downshifting from 4th to 3rd, it goes in without a problem at all...wouldn't that mean that the synchro is fine? Still looking for more feedback. Thanks and sorry I shot my mouth off
Old 03-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In rereading your original post, I suspect it may be a worn third gear synchro. When you momentarily went from second to fourth before grabbing third, you used the fourth gear synchro to match the shaft speeds. This would slow down the shafts more than necessary, much as if you're downshifting from fourth to third. That side of your synchros may be less worn than the other so they work better.

Unless you did that in the short time you had the b16 tranny, you might have got a pretty worn tranny to begin with. Third gear set alone for my LS tranny was over $250 so you're looking at about $600 for a shop to replace that part. My experience now is that most trannys are usually pretty beat up when sold used, and Honda trannys too often have some speed shifting moron doing the damage.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thought tranny grind was blown 3rd synchro...but was shift linkage prob?

is the grind ONLY happen from upshift 2nd-to-3rd? or downshift from 4th-to-3rd ??

my 95 JDM GSR Tranny only grind when upshift 2nd-to-3rd, turn out to be a limp shift rod, and the freaking O2 sensor was on the way of the linkage