Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My tranny doesnt want to go into gear. Why???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My tranny doesnt want to go into gear. Why???

Hello, i have my brothers ls vtec ek for alittle while, since he's off to the Navy. It was fully built from the ground up, and since my brother just left, he didnt have enough time to fix the bugs. Ok, the problem comes when i try to put it into 1st or reverse. Sometimes it takes alittle effort for it to finally go into gear. Also, it wont even go into 3rd, it would make a grinding noise when you ease off the clutch. I can take the shift **** and pretty much move it in circles. My question is, is there sometime missing that keeps the shifter to shift correctly and accurately from 1st to 2nd and to 3rd and so forth? My brother said something about it needing a bolt or something, i didnt quite know what he was talking about. I am not 100 percent sure which tranny it is, but i think it is a hydro tranny. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
Old 08-30-2007, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any recommendations???
Heres a little video of my car to get you motivated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gys5vYiEDM
Old 08-30-2007, 07:40 AM

Default Re: (Khmerican)

climb underneath the car and see where the shifter sticks out through the floor, at the bottom there will be a bolt that goes through the shift linkage. make sure it is tight and then follow the linkage up to the tranny and see if where the linkage and stabilizer bar attach to the tranny are tight and in good condition otherwise. as for the grind... might be time for a new tranny also new bushings from energy suspension will help the sloppiness in the shifter and would be reccomended if you take out the tranny or shifter. if it gives you to much trouble PM me and i can help you more maybe in person because i live in sarasota not too far from you.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My tranny doesnt want to go into gear. Why??? (Khmerican)

my guess if its been able to "do circles" at the shifter for a while that provides for very un-accurate shifts and could hurt your tranny. so first off check the bolt that actually holds the shifter to the linkage. if the shifter is loose right there then that is your "doin circles" problem. if not then it probably needs new shifter bushings which are cheap and a good idea anyway. ok on to the wont go into gear issue. change the tranny fluid and make sure that the clutch fluid is topped off and if you still have an issue more than likely you have a serious tranny problem. good luck with the fix
Old 08-30-2007, 03:14 PM

Clutch? maybe?... it could be that there is something stuck in your gear bars, or something like that, give it a quick inspeciton and remove the easy stuff (put'em back on) if not, might be the clutch or maybe the pressure plate aint working well. Dont mid the grease...

Old 08-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (ProjectEJ2)

Have you checked your fluid? You might not have any in it.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for everyones replies! I will have to take a second look tommorow. The car was recently put together, i hope the tranny isnt bad. The car hasnt even been driven a mile, jus down the street a couple of times. BTW, the tranny is an S80, which ever car that came out of. If it makes any difference, it has a 12 lb fly wheel and new clutch. Also, my brother spoke about a rear trannty bolt, he said it was missing and it could be the problem. Will this really cause the car not to want to go into gear? Any other ideas?