Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

is there anywhere to test ignitors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there anywhere to test ignitors?

ive been having problems with my da not getting spark, im running a full msd setup except stock dizzy, and one day i was comming up an off ramp and downshifted likr normal and let the clutch in and the motor died, and cranked and cranks but nuthin, i got it to fire a few times but it ran real rough and the tach on my cluster was dancing like a stripper, soo i figured no big deal its prolly a bad ignitor, so i came home and put on another dizzy i had gotten off a running motor, still no fire, the msd is making good spark, i tested it, what else could it be?? hazard fuse is good, i have fuel, and the coil wire has spark, now is there a way to test ignitors? or might this be a wiring harness problem or something,

car is has a b16a odb0 swap
Old 10-01-2006, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: is there anywhere to test ignitors? (deetz84)

i DONT HAVE THE PROCEDURE, sorry, in front of me but an old school dwell meter or a newer type also, then an oscilloscope will be your final test but most folks have to pay for this test.

I think the dwell test is to see how long the ignitor is allowing the coil to charge up before it makes the spark, a weak ignitor I THINK will have a dwell of less than 4.

An amp ramp of the coil will prove out the coil in several ways, nice rise curve during charging or is it a sharp rise then a curve, what is the max amps that it charges up to, is it allowed to charge up to a nice amount of amperage or is it cut down short and is the top of the amp ramp flattened before the spark occurs. When the spark occurs does the amp ramp drop off suddenly, how fast is it from top to bottom, does it drop off some, get a little dirty and then drop off some more to the bottom, is the dwell buildup clean and neat with good ringing at the beginning and a constant rise, once the spark has completed does the coil have a few rings left in it.

Many of the problems mixed in with the good items here are caused by a bad ignitor but again, a scope will be needed, play with a dwell meter for a lttle while on a few different wires going to the ignitor and coil and see what you get for starters, I guess you will need a good running distributor to use as your baseline test also.