Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

temp gauge says its overheating, wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temp gauge says its overheating, wtf?

When the car is up to operating temp and I let it idle for about 5 minutes, the temp gauge needle that was on the far left edge of the gauge icon moves to the right across the icon...like half an inch or so.

Funny thing is, I tried turning the heater on full at 4 to prevent and slow down the rising temp but all I got was cold air. This doesn't happen all the time though, sometimes it blows hot air.

what gives? I'm thinking the fan switch...?
Old 01-22-2004, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: temp gauge says its overheating, wtf? (Calavera)

is your car really overheating? or is the temp gauge giving you a false reading?

Usually when their's no hot air coming out either all your coolent is gone, or ECT sensor is gone back giving a false reading, but i don't understand why you get hot air sometimes and not other times, maybe thermostat? not opening up? if it was a fan switch then your fan'snot turning on, doesn' explain why your getting hot air and cold air when you want hot air
Old 01-22-2004, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

possibly thermostat?
Old 01-22-2004, 11:07 PM

Default Re: temp gauge says its overheating, wtf? (delinquent)

Ok, easy fix i had the same problem. Yes, you car is really over heating! You have no coolant in the system because somewhere it leaked out. The reason I know this is because your coolant runs through your heater core to give you hot air. No hot air= no hot coolant running though the core. To find out where youre leaking, fill the radiator with water, start the car and check all the hoses for leaks (it should be obvious) DO NOT RUN THE CAR IF ITS AT THE RED! I cannot emphasize this enough, you risk seizing your motor and it not starting agian. Check the hose from the head to the pcv valve at the heater core (this was where mine broke). Beware, that hose cost me 35 dollars at acura!
HTH
-steve
Old 01-22-2004, 11:12 PM

check coolant level, check themostat, is your vavle to the heater core actully opening? is there air in your system. Is the engine/water hose actually hot when the gauge says it is?
Old 01-23-2004, 06:53 AM
dod

Default Re: temp gauge says its overheating, wtf? (SecretAznMan4u)

i had pretty much the same problem with my 94 ls, mine would heat to normal, then when ever i would idle it would get really hot, sometimes there was very hot heat, other times there was no heat at all, it ended up being my coolant temp sensor and fan switch, and went ahead and put a new thermostat in as well. works fine now, always stays at just below half.