Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

taking out the cat

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default taking out the cat

does the car sound like staright rice if you take the cat out?......i gutted my cat and it sounder horrible i put a new one back in so i was thinking of putting a straight pipe in there. i think the cat hollow was making all the crap noise
Old 01-11-2004, 09:06 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: taking out the cat (nitrotiger)

The catalytic converter is a restriction in the exhaust, as well as the resonator section in your pipe. Anything that's a restriction will cause a change in sound when it is removed.

I'd venture to say that gutting your cat/removing it/substituting a straight pipe will make it sound pretty bad.

With a stock 1.6-1.8 motor, IMO, it sounds pretty nasty if you just do a modification like that.

BTW, my Integra sounded nice with a test pipe and no resonator....but I had a nice turbo in there.

EDIT: Just so you know, doing that to a stock motor (yes, even with I/H/E), you will not gain any power. You'll increase the smelliness, and the chances of failing inspection. If you're extremely lucky, you might gain like a few horses way on the upper RPM band, but it won't do much. You'll probably lose some low end power, which would not be beneficial on the street where you'll be in that range most of the time.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:15 AM

Default Re: taking out the cat (shamoo)

test pipe
Old 01-11-2004, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: taking out the cat (ek9jdm)

i have a jg package one the car with cams intake thw whole 9 so your saying a test pipe wont so ricey
Old 01-11-2004, 10:27 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nitrotiger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a jg package one the car with cams intake thw whole 9 so your saying a test pipe wont so ricey </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, all-motor guys always sound ricey

All joking aside, I'm kinda serious, all motor applications most of the time don't sound too good because it's basically just a small motor making lots of noise. You'll get that buzzing sound. If I were you, I'd maybe get an aftermarket catalytic converter in there. If you don't want to run one, at least get a nice fat resonator in your piping somewhere so it doesn't sound too bad.

Note: A lot of people love that all motor high revving sound, I'm just not one of them.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: taking out the cat (shamoo)

thanks for the info maybe a resinator wil do the trick
Old 01-11-2004, 12:36 PM
816d16 owes me money!

i dunno about that whole "even with I/H/E it doesnt make power" because i switched to a straight pipe on my old LS motor with just those same parts and gained 2hp on the top-end and gained 3lbs./tq. in the upper-mid range (4.5-5.5K) over the stock cat.

BTW it sounded very nice when mated to my ES oval muffler. loud, but nice.

sorry, i'm one of those guys that likes loud, as long as your car can back it up
Old 01-11-2004, 01:00 PM

Default Re: taking out the cat (usdm420)

If you really want to gaint he maximum amount out of a mod like that (less restictive), you should get something like hondata or have your ECU reprogramed to take advantage of the higher flow rates
Old 01-11-2004, 01:20 PM

just get a high flow cat so that it doesnt sound like a piece of crap. with the right tuning using hondata a high flow cat will have the same gains as a test pipe. and it will sound much better while being legal at the same time. dont get me wrong i love the sound of my all motor integra. but i hate raspy exhaust. integras are a nice car... invest is nice exhaust to complement it. besides you dont want your exhaust to choke out the beatuiful sound of your intake at 9 grand