Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Synchros Trans Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Synchros Trans Swap?

I have a 97 Teg LS and swapped the engine out to a JDM B16a Vtec. I'm assuming my synchros went out in the trans, considering I was having trouble finding 4th, which was in 2nd gears spot, and 5th and reverse are gone. I replaced the shift linkage bushings at all locations and still the same issue.

So my question is, if the synchros are bad and the bearings, I want to replace them myself, but can I swap a GSR, Type-R bearing, seal and synchro kit into my LS trans or would I need different housing? Also, that kit would fix my issue correct?

heres the link to the kit.

http://www.swapshopracing.com/contents/en-us/p6478.html
Old 03-21-2017, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Re: Synchros Trans Swap?

The main difference is that 2nd gear has a dual cone synchronizer in the EM1/GSR/TypeR transmissions and the LS does not, and a new housing won't fix that. I don't know if you can use the dual cone synchronizer on an LS 2nd gear, but if you call up Synchrotech they can probably tell you. It would be easier to just order the LS rebuild kit since you're replacing the synchros anyways and the advantage of dual cone isn't huge.

The GSR uses different differential bearings than the others but people usually don't replace those since they rarely wear out and they don't come with kits so you probably don't need to worry about it.

And if your synchros are worn out there's a good chance the sleeves will be too, so you might want to replace them just to be safe. My 3/4 sleeve was trashed from shifting hard into 3rd with worn synchros so it needed to be replaced. I rebuilt the trans in my car last year so if you have any questions about the process feel free to ask.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MotorMouth93
The main difference is that 2nd gear has a dual cone synchronizer in the EM1/GSR/TypeR transmissions and the LS does not, and a new housing won't fix that. I don't know if you can use the dual cone synchronizer on an LS 2nd gear, but if you call up Synchrotech they can probably tell you. It would be easier to just order the LS rebuild kit since you're replacing the synchros anyways and the advantage of dual cone isn't huge.

The GSR uses different differential bearings than the others but people usually don't replace those since they rarely wear out and they don't come with kits so you probably don't need to worry about it.

And if your synchros are worn out there's a good chance the sleeves will be too, so you might want to replace them just to be safe. My 3/4 sleeve was trashed from shifting hard into 3rd with worn synchros so it needed to be replaced. I rebuilt the trans in my car last year so if you have any questions about the process feel free to ask.

but so youre saying I can use the kit that I linked in the previous post with the tranny I have now and just replace sleeves too? also, would I get GSR sleeves or LS sleeves?
Old 03-21-2017, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

No, I'm saying that if you REALLY want to use the GSR/B16/TypeR set in your LS transmission for some weird reason, you need to call Synchrotech or whoever makes your kit and ask, but the obvious choice here is to just buy the kit that is actually made to fit the LS transmission.

And you should also confirm that that is actually the problem before ordering. When you say you can't find some gears, does that mean that they just aren't there? Or can you shift into them but the car doesn't move? Or does it mean that they grind when you try to shift into them?

Last edited by MotorMouth93; 03-21-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MotorMouth93
No, I'm saying that if you REALLY want to use the GSR/B16/TypeR set in your LS transmission for some weird reason, you need to call Synchrotech or whoever makes your kit and ask, but the obvious choice here is to just buy the kit that is actually made to fit the LS transmission.

And you should also confirm that that is actually the problem before ordering. When you say you can't find some gears, does that mean that they just aren't there? Or can you shift into them but the car doesn't move? Or does it mean that they grind when you try to shift into them?

I want to use the B16a or GSR set because the synchros are weak in the LS. I was saying B16a because that's the motor I have in my teg now, but I drive on the highway daily for my job and a little distance too which is why I was also contemplating the GSR because it'd be better for highway instead of the B16a. And I was wanting to throw the internals in there because I cannot find a reliable place that sells strictly transmissions and if they do, they don't carry either trans that I'm looking for.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found a transmission and bought it.