Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Suspension: Gsr vs Type R vs aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension: Gsr vs Type R vs aftermarket

Its getting to that time that I believe I need a new suspension setup on my 96 DC. When I drive, the car somewhat squeaks on the corners. The ride is not too smooth. Yet again, I havent played with it. Any suggestions?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:00 AM
They let me pick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Suspension: Gsr vs Type R vs aftermarket (.:urbandc2:.)

What's your budget?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Suspension: Gsr vs Type R vs aftermarket (mrdeadman)

We're looking at $4,500
Old 01-31-2008, 09:47 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .:urbandc2:. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We're looking at $4,500</TD></TR></TABLE>

$4,500 is a lofty budget.

However, you never stated the purpose of the car. daily driving? track? dual duty? if dual duty, then what percentage of each? Please be as specific as possible.

$4500 would be a nice downpayment on an S2000. That would be an awesome "suspension mod for a DC"

You could even keep the DC as a dialy
Old 01-31-2008, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tein Flex with EDFC..probbaly?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Suspension: Gsr vs Type R vs aftermarket (feeldabazzgsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by feeldabazzgsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tein Flex with EDFC..probbaly?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry. But from prior experience, I'd have to say .

Tein is just a big brand name. I think a lot of people love them because they're "JDM". You gotta look at the specs...and take a more in depth look at what you want from the car.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Suspension: Gsr vs Type R vs aftermarket (B serious)

thanks for bringing that up. Well a purpose of the car will be "daily driven"( yea, I know. Term is getting very old). Yet I live and am sorrounded my mountains. I don't believe my car is ready for any track racing anytime soon, yet alone any drags. I have 15' rota sliptreams wrapped with 205/50's... So apart from being daily driven, I was thinking somewhat tuning it for canyons or mountain driving before I actually run in time attacks or somewhat. I will be spending a good amount of time tuning it. So I would say 40% daily drive. 60% performer. Thanks
Old 01-31-2008, 10:49 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .:urbandc2:. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for bringing that up. Well a purpose of the car will be "daily driven"( yea, I know. Term is getting very old). Yet I live and am sorrounded my mountains. I don't believe my car is ready for any track racing anytime soon, yet alone any drags. I have 15' rota sliptreams wrapped with 205/50's... So apart from being daily driven, I was thinking somewhat tuning it for canyons or mountain driving before I actually run in time attacks or somewhat. I will be spending a good amount of time tuning it. So I would say 40% daily drive. 60% performer. Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I would recommend slowing down on the street. You can't find the car's limit there very easily.

Go to a track and run a few HPDEs.

A lot of people have had luck with the Koni/GC setup for your purposes. It's tuneable, adjustable, and only about $1k. It's also very reliable and rides like butter...depending on spring rates.

I really like 350F/450R. I've had luck with those spring rates. That's really all the advice I can give till you start actually DRIVING the car. Once you start driving it for real (on a track), you will feel the car's deficiencies, and more advice can be given as to how to improve upon them.

You have to drive the car to know what it's lacking and where it excels.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cusco's!

not costco.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rickdrizzle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rickdrizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cusco's!

not costco.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Go to a track and run a few HPDEs.

A lot of people have had luck with the Koni/GC setup for your purposes. It's tuneable, adjustable, and only about $1k. It's also very reliable and rides like butter...depending on spring rates.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the ITR suspension is the best bang for the buck (with the ITR rear lower control arms) if you're just wanting to drive your car as a daily and occasionally bring it to the track, canyons, etc. from there the GC/konis are pretty standard. if you poke around the ITR forum, PIC (selects) full coilovers are becoming very popular and they've got great customer support. $4500 is way too much to spend on suspension IMO. i wouldn't spend more than $1500 and the rest, i'd either spend on other aspects of the car or really to go on the track.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

$4,500 is a lofty budget.
$4500 would be a nice downpayment on an S2000. That would be an awesome "suspension mod for a DC"

You could even keep the DC as a dialy</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, yep! $4500 is more than what i paid for my 96 gsr daily and it came with the ITR suspension Oh, BTW... suspensions will "sqeak" over time. that can be due to lots of things. you may just want to check your bushings or change them while you're changing the suspension pieces or else you'll most likely STILL hear squeaks.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jomama)

$4500 is plenty of money to use and go to the track.

All you need is for your car to be in good mechanical condition and to purchase a helmet.

If you really want to spend money on a suspension the two I would consider would be either:

PIC Selects
Ground Control Coilovers with Koni Yellows

With the Koni & GCC I would stick to off the shelf rates and after some track time you can adjust the spring rates to suit your needs. Also you can then play with sway bar sizes as well.

IMO, there is no reason to get a baller suspension without getting plenty of track time first. Not only will the suspension hide your mistakes but it could also be unsafe on public roads.

And with the extra money you can use it to maintain your car and prep it a little more which IMO is needed.

Things I recommend are:
Better brake pads
Brake Fluid

If you really want, you could also just get a set of track wheels. Just to help keep better track of what you are spending on track, i.e. Keep a seperate set of tires and pads strictly for track use.

Ali
Old 01-31-2008, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jomama)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jomama &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
$4500 is way too much to spend on suspension IMO. i wouldn't spend more than $1500 and the rest, i'd either spend on other aspects of the car or really to go on the track. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I some what agree. As a novice to tracking thats a huge budget.

Yes, $4500 is alot. But if you really want to freshen up your suspension and/or building a track car, suspension will eat up a good amount of money.

Example (min prices):
PIC Select $1100
Bushings - $300+
Swaybar Upgrade - $400+

Roughly $2000 and if you want more adjustablilty in your alignment then add a few hundred bucks for front and rear camber adjustment. Spherical bushings are another few hundred bucks as well.

Don't forget labor to install these if you can't do it yourself and an alignment.

Ali
Old 01-31-2008, 01:54 PM
* B A N N E D *

Here ya go. I have been lookin at these but they will be one of the last things I buy after some track time, plus I will need some of the type-r parts to make these work. I got type 2's on there now.
http://www.jhpusa.com/catalog/...=1306

Old 01-31-2008, 06:35 PM

Default Re: (japanjay)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by japanjay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here ya go. I have been lookin at these but they will be one of the last things I buy after some track time, plus I will need some of the type-r parts to make these work. I got type 2's on there now.
http://www.jhpusa.com/catalog/...=1306

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are those the N1s? Because the N1s have a huge "RACE ONLY" remark on them. They have like 25k springs or something crazy IIRC.

I had teins for a long time and I wasn't honestly that impressed. I have KW V3s on my S2000 right now. Unfortunately, I haven't driven the car since I put them on. It was my last shebang mod of the last season. My car is in storage. But I did get to ride in a shop owner's car before purchasing them. I was very impressed at the ride and control. I'll get them on the track in may and find out.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (B serious)

yeah dude those things are real serious! haha id go with the GC/Koni setup.. its a good street setup and will perform when you want it to!
Old 01-31-2008, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (what gsr)

yea man KY/GC setup, and snoop around for diff springs too incase u wanna track the car
Old 02-01-2008, 07:05 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are those the N1s? Because the N1s have a huge "RACE ONLY" remark on them. They have like 25k springs or something crazy IIRC.

I had teins for a long time and I wasn't honestly that impressed. I have KW V3s on my S2000 right now. Unfortunately, I haven't driven the car since I put them on. It was my last shebang mod of the last season. My car is in storage. But I did get to ride in a shop owner's car before purchasing them. I was very impressed at the ride and control. I'll get them on the track in may and find out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

They are not the N1's, very similar though. The rates on these are 22k front and 14k rear, and require 2 edfc's
Old 02-01-2008, 07:53 PM

Default Re: (japanjay)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by japanjay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They are not the N1's, very similar though. The rates on these are 22k front and 14k rear, and require 2 edfc's</TD></TR></TABLE>

22k and 14k?!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude....that's a little insane. You might as well just weld your suspension together. Besides, it's totally over kill:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .:urbandc2:. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for bringing that up. Well a purpose of the car will be "daily driven"( yea, I know. Term is getting very old). Yet I live and am sorrounded my mountains. I don't believe my car is ready for any track racing anytime soon, yet alone any drags. I have 15' rota sliptreams wrapped with 205/50's... So apart from being daily driven, I was thinking somewhat tuning it for canyons or mountain driving before I actually run in time attacks or somewhat. I will be spending a good amount of time tuning it. So I would say 40% daily drive. 60% performer. Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-01-2008, 10:14 PM

Default Re: (Ol'SkoolDA9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ol’SkoolDA9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea man KY/GC setup, and snoop around for diff springs too incase u wanna track the car </TD></TR></TABLE>

Or AGX / GC....!!!