Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Stuck Spark Plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck Spark Plug

I am changing my sparkplugs because of old age and when I went and tried to take it off, I was able to take off the 1st and 2nd one fine. When it came to the 3rd one, It didn't even budge a little. So I skipped it and went on the 4th one and same thing. Won't even budge. I don't know what to do other than use a air compressor and air tool to torque it out but is that safe?

Any other suggestion on how to take it off, feel free to comment.

I'm afraid, it might be stuck there
Old 06-22-2006, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe try it when its hot... hopefully the plugs will come easier
Old 06-22-2006, 07:29 AM

Default Re: (gsrjrsc)

try it when the car is completely cold, if that doesn't work, use a breaker bar with a pipe for some leverage and see if you can slowly turn it. You can also spray a little bit of Deep Creep or PB Blaster and let it sit for a bit before trying again. Then, like gsrjrsc said, try it when it's hot if that doesn't work. I usually have better luck on stuck bolts in the cold, because of heat causing metal to expand and stay stuck. But sometimes a little heat and lubricant will help too.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (purplegsr)

Do what the guy above just said, it should work like a charm!
Old 06-22-2006, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and when you install the new plugs, don't forget to apply some of this to the threads:

Old 06-22-2006, 08:25 AM

Default Re: (reno96teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by reno96teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and when you install the new plugs, don't forget to apply some of this to the threads:

</TD></TR></TABLE>

NO!!! That's not for the thread, that's for the metal contact in the spark plug boots. You need to put ANTI-SEIZE on the threads. The tube looks similar though:

Modified by purplegsr at 9:38 AM 6/22/2006
Old 06-22-2006, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just becareful, because i ended up pulling the spark plug out my civic, with the threaded part still in the head.

therefore, i had to take the whole head off and having a machine shop get the part out.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (-Darren-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -Darren- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just becareful, because i ended up pulling the spark plug out my civic, with the threaded part still in the head.

therefore, i had to take the whole head off and having a machine shop get the part out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

mine did the same thing

Anti-Sieze is you're friend.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (-Darren-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -Darren- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just becareful, because i ended up pulling the spark plug out my civic, with the threaded part still in the head.

therefore, i had to take the whole head off and having a machine shop get the part out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That sucks *****
Old 06-22-2006, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Stuck Spark Plug (Teg_Your_It)

I haven't drove the integra for about 3 days so it just sits there, I decided to change the spark plugs and caps because the car wouldn't turn over. So I stumbled upon this problem.

This morning I gave it a hard yank and my rachet slipped as if it's broken. Or did the spark plug turn while stripping the thread. I dunno, But i'll try start it up If i could and let you guys know what's up. Thanks for the heads up.

BTW what spark plugs are you guys using?
I got mines for like 5.99 for each one, a Mechanic suggested I should use these, I think it was called ADdelco or something like that. Not sure if they're as good as he mentioned it but feel free to elaborate.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wtf is ADdelco? isnt that a wiper company? lol

Use NGK or Denso &gt; other
Old 06-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stuck Spark Plug (Last For One)

AC Delcos are for Chevvi's and Foardz.....
Old 06-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stuck Spark Plug (Last For One)

NGK

I would not strart that car after the expereince you mentioned above. If the spark plug internals spun inside of the threaded housing it will drop and you'll be screwed.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stuck Spark Plug (96 GSR-T)

ngk are the stock plugs on an integra...go with ngk
Old 06-22-2006, 09:30 PM

Update:

I tried taking it off with the engine warmed up, didn't help at all.
I tried it while the car is cold also, no difference.
I tried the Delectric Tuneup Grease, got a few in but didn't budge.

Now I'm worried because It might be damaged already.

I looked through my local newspapers ads and found some shops nearby that does Tune Up for $24.95 on 4 Cyclinder Vehicle.. where they would check sparkplugs - Replace them with NGK, Check rotors,cap, and any fuel leaks if there is any..

I was thinking, take it in for a Tune Up so they could try and take it out. If they fail and break it or damage it, then I can file a complaint

Good idea or No?

Last resort.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:43 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Teg_Your_It &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Update:
I tried the Delectric Tuneup Grease, got a few in but didn't budge.
.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The dielectric tuneup grease goes on the boots of the sparkplugs AFTER you take them out and are installing the new ones. Squeezing a bunch of grease into your spark plug holes isn't helping anything. You might try spraying a tiny bit of Deep Creep/PB blaster/WD40 in there with the red straw, and see if it helps. Did you try a breaker bar or anything long enough to get some leverage, or are you just using a plain old socket wrench with a short handle?

I do agree that taking it to a shop might help, they probably have some tricks for getting it out. But the idea of filing a complaint when it breaks on them is rather stupid, don't try to blame your own problems on someone else
Old 06-22-2006, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stuck Spark Plug (purplegsr)

how about pour some little bit of engine oil?? oh wait, thats bad idea..lol
Old 06-22-2006, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stuck Spark Plug (purplegsr)

try a shop
there are tricks to get them out maybe, but dont force it
Old 06-22-2006, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stuck Spark Plug (SoEvoL)

I had this problem recently... obviously the person that had this head before did not use anti-seize and overtightened them as well.

Instead of using a breaker bar, I borrowed my friend's cordless impact gun to get it out. Worked like a charm. The reason I did not want to use a breaker bar is because the plug is down in the head, you have to use an extension, and it's difficult to apply torque while keeping the extension relatively centered on the plug.

So if you take it to get a tune-up, they will have these types of tools and will have no problems taking it out...

Anti-seize it so you won't have these types of problems again.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (purplegsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by purplegsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NO!!! That's not for the thread, that's for the metal contact in the spark plug boots. You need to put ANTI-SEIZE on the threads. The tube looks similar though:

</TD></TR></TABLE>
oops.. you're right. brain fart on my part..

to the OP, you could try spraying WD40 down there or something, but i have my doubts as to whether there will be enough penetration to free the plug.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (reno96teg)

either way it's steel vs aluminum, the aluminum will loose the battle.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:42 PM

Default Re: (skunked)

I went and got a Tune Up like I mentioned and the mechanic there took a hour but he managed to get the 3rd and 4th spark plug out with ease. He used a special kinda of tool that has a tube with some sort of grease pumping action.. I just watched and stared.

He mentioned to me that the previous owner did not put no anti freeze on it when they installed it.

I don't think it's my fault, I bought the car not along ago and It's my first spark plug changed

Oh yeah, I returned the AlDeco spark plugs because the shop installed NGK ones for me.

Happy Ending

Thanks for all the suggestions and helped, Good info for future problems -
Old 06-23-2006, 12:54 PM
cool guy name

Default Re: Stuck Spark Plug (Takumi Fujiwara)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Takumi Fujiwara &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had this problem recently... obviously the person that had this head before did not use anti-seize and overtightened them as well.

Instead of using a breaker bar, I borrowed my friend's cordless impact gun to get it out. Worked like a charm. The reason I did not want to use a breaker bar is because the plug is down in the head, you have to use an extension, and it's difficult to apply torque while keeping the extension relatively centered on the plug.

So if you take it to get a tune-up, they will have these types of tools and will have no problems taking it out...

Anti-seize it so you won't have these types of problems again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what a spark plug socket is for!
Old 06-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stuck Spark Plug (walker111)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by walker111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats what a spark plug socket is for! </TD></TR></TABLE>

So you can put a spark plug socket on there and put your ratchet right on it? Because if you can, you got some skills...
Old 06-26-2006, 09:03 AM
cool guy name

Default Re: Stuck Spark Plug (Takumi Fujiwara)

I must have skillz yO