Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Spuratic coolant leak issue, 1991 RS coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spuratic coolant leak issue, 1991 RS coupe

Hey, From time to time it will start to overheat. I check the resevoir tank on the right hand side of the engine bay, and theres nothing in it. so i put more coolant in it and ad some to the radiator also. This seems to be a problem because whenever i first start my car up it runs fine, then when i run into a 7 11 to get something it will start up to only like 1.5 rpms then die. When this happens i check the coolant ans sure enough I'm out. This only happens once a week, and i can see a puddle near the drivers tire when im parked on cement.

Is it expensive to fix a leak problem like this? I get scared im going to be stuck somewhere one day or my engine is going to get messed up. How can i fix this and how much would it cost? I tried the thick no leak stuff, doesnt work.

Any advice is appreciated
Old 07-03-2008, 11:53 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Spuratic coolant leak issue, 1991 RS coupe (KillerElfboy)

Pressure check your collant system and find the leak. You might have a crack in the radiator, which means you need a new one. you chould have some cracks in the lines, which means you would need new ones. Pretty much u need to find out where it is leaking and buy a new one of those.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Spuratic coolant leak issue, 1991 RS coupe (St. Jimmy)

excellent, how do i perform a pressure check?
Old 07-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just fill your radiator with water, and leave the cap open and start the car, keep filling it up as it flows through your motors and stuff. after about 5 minutes if you still dont see the leak, put the cap on and keep watching, soon enough you should see it spraying out somewhere, I've seen a few da's with cracked radiators, im guessing thats your problem.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:39 PM
* B A N N E D *

Take your radiator off, plug one end and plug the resivor tube. Spray compressed air into the only hole left. If you have a crack in your radiator you should hear it somewhere.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:55 PM

Default Re: (St. Jimmy)

can a radiator be welded

Old 07-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wouldnt weld a radiator. Just go buy another used one, or a brand new one, I would prefer new one. did you find where the leak was at?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:20 AM

Default Re: (Hanmin)

i did the cap off thing and it wasnt going down, so i took the car down the street and back and turned it off. I saw antifreeze coming down a bunch of different spots immediately after i turned the car off. If its only coming from one spot, i found it. Its right behind the engine. I would grab it but its blocked by two other tubes and that big black thing going from the air filter to the engine. So i'm apporaching it from the passenger side of the engine bay. I cant see exactly what its coming out of but it looks like a tube of some sort, its a pressured stream, like if a water balloon had a pin hole in it and you squeezed it. It eventually stops and it didnt shoot out all the anitfreeze i had in there so i think this is why its spuratic cuz it takes a few times to actually come all out. Has anyone leaked from this spot before? From the bottom up it looks like it has five leaks cuz the drip down i guess spreads to different spots before it leaks all the way down.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KillerElfboy)

Check the little hoses that run through the block and what not, I've had the same issue wiith my DA. First time it happened it was a little hose under the intake manifold next to the motor mount, the second time it happened it was a hose that ran to the intake manifold. Those little things are a pain to find, I'll tell you that much right now.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go buy a new hose and replace it.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:21 PM

Default Re: (Hanmin)

i think i found it, it was the black ribbed hose thats like harder and stiffer than the other ones. i could feel the hole and put some super glue on it to see if that was it. I drove around for a little bit and turned the car off, nothing was coming out in that area so i think that may have been it. If that was it, i hope thats the best fix. I looked at the other two tubes next to it (the thumb thick ones) and they werent it, it was something farther towards the center away from me. I'll check again later to see if its spraying again but it may be ok.

I wanted to glue it first becuase its the black tubing that goes to other tubes as well and would prob be a pain to replace all of them
Old 07-15-2008, 08:41 AM

well the glule didnt help, i find it to overheat when i am idling at a light, i also notice taht i dont hear the fan come on after i turn it off. Perhaps my rad fan is not working and not pulling in the air i need when im stopped becuase the car is not moving to push air in itself? I checked the fuses but they seem to be fine. Could the fan itself just need replacing?

I still see that my resevoir tank on the left is always empty the next day tho. Could this mean its leaking somewhere specific?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Most likely it is leaking somewhere specific, or, worst case scenario, something's up with the head or block itself. Check all those little coolant hoses, and if they're cracked, have holes, or broken, replace them because the heat will melt down the glue which is probably why it didn't work to begin with.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:01 PM

Default Re: (Maverick2K4)

yea, it got worse, it overheated and i had to pull over. I heard some high pitched whining and steam coming out from where i saw it last, sounded ferocious this time. It was dark so i could only see steam, i wish i could make it happen on command so i can pinpoint the dam tube.

I will be needing to fix this tommorow i believe. how much do these hoses run and where can i get them, particularly on a sunday?

Old 07-20-2008, 07:23 AM

So i called an auto shop at like 6am and woke up the owner i think. i ended up taking it by around 9, he took a look at it and found this pinky finger sized tube that had the leak in it. He had a spare one and popped it in. He even tried to recharge my AC, (apparently its been retrofitted with r134 all ready). Anyway looks like its all better. This guy rules. If anyone is near Woodbine NJ, its called Tin's auto repair, this dude has been in the game for 53 years and is good with plier and tight spaces lol.

ALSO, IF ANYONE CAN NOT START THEIR INTEGRA IN THE SUN OR BACK UP HOT.

i did some searching online and the most well known problem with starting how or restarting after a short break like getting gas, is the Main Relay. It being so hot messes with it, which is why a short break like gassing up, or a stop inside a 7 11 does it or trying to start it after being out in the summer sun.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KillerElfboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So i called an auto shop at like 6am and woke up the owner i think. i ended up taking it by around 9, he took a look at it and found this pinky finger sized tube that had the leak in it. He had a spare one and popped it in. He even tried to recharge my AC, (apparently its been retrofitted with r134 all ready). Anyway looks like its all better. This guy rules. If anyone is near Woodbine NJ, its called Tin's auto repair, this dude has been in the game for 53 years and is good with plier and tight spaces lol.

ALSO, IF ANYONE CAN NOT START THEIR INTEGRA IN THE SUN OR BACK UP HOT.

i did some searching online and the most well known problem with starting how or restarting after a short break like getting gas, is the Main Relay. It being so hot messes with it, which is why a short break like gassing up, or a stop inside a 7 11 does it or trying to start it after being out in the summer sun. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hanmin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just fill your radiator with water, and leave the cap open and start the car, keep filling it up as it flows through your motors and stuff. after about 5 minutes if you still dont see the leak, put the cap on and keep watching, soon enough you should see it spraying out somewhere, I've seen a few da's with cracked radiators, im guessing thats your problem. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This thread could've ended so long ago=].