Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

My VTEC

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My V-Tech Not Being Loud

I Got A B18c GSR Swap On My Eg6 But My V-tech Isnt As Loud As My Friends 2000 Si With THe B16. Why? Oh Yead I Got A Dent On My Oil Pan. Could That Be Affecting IT?
Old 05-25-2008, 04:35 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: My V-Tech Not Being Loud (honda_lemus541)

The IAB (intake air bypass, a.k.a. dual stage intake manifold) really keeps the VTEC quiet on that engine. You shouldn't feel the VTEC engage either.

BTW: VTEC has no "H" at the end.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ehh i dont know if i agree with you, ive got the same motor and my vtec is strong and you can def hear it crossover.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IntegraGSR1999)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IntegraGSR1999 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^ehh i dont know if i agree with you, ive got the same motor and my vtec is strong and you can def hear it crossover.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Jesus frickin' christ. I see these threads so often.

The GSR vtec engagement is @ 4400 and the secondaries are @ 5750. No, you will not hear the vtec. Most likely you'll hear the secondaries open up.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:42 PM
CCR
* B A N N E D *

I dont know much about vtec or any of that honda jazz, but my oldest cousin has a stock integra gsr and you can very well hear and feel the "vtec".
Old 05-25-2008, 06:45 PM

Default Re: (Rickdrizzle)

i have a skunk2 IM on mines and i can hear vtec engage at 4400 and at 5750rpm hella loud
Old 05-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CCR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CCR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont know much about vtec or any of that honda jazz, but my oldest cousin has a stock integra gsr and you can very well hear and feel the "vtec".</TD></TR></TABLE>

Again, the secondaries are more noticeable than the vtec for the STOCK gsr.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dc2_916)

putting a skunk2 IM, doesnt it delete the secondaries at 5750?
Old 05-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dc2_916 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a skunk2 IM on mines and i can hear vtec engage at 4400 and at 5750rpm hella loud</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, but I call BS on that. Why? because when my basic GSR with the s2 manifold had the stock ecu, I couldn't hear ****. First of all, @ 5750 WITH THAT MANIFOLD, there's nothing opening up.

However this changed for me when I got a tuned ECU. Vtec was set at 5500 with the setup and you can clearly hear it.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (type-GGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by type-GGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">putting a skunk2 IM, doesnt it delete the secondaries at 5750?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It does.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:57 PM

oh yeah forgot about the cams ..haha
Old 05-26-2008, 12:09 AM

OK WAIT WAIT WAIT PEOPLE! Let's not confuse anyone here...... Let me explain the GSR intake manifold so it could make sense to a nooB.....

Let's start with why the GSR manifold is shaped the way it is.

1st it has a snail shell look because when honda designed the gsr it wanted to meet both fuel mileage needs and performance needs without type r cost so as some mechanics know from working on old cars like a 87 chevy camaro z28 iroc-z with TPI know that long runners are good for both torque and gas mileage. so when your driving your GSR down the road at lower than 4,400 rpm's (long runner mode) your saving gas and getting decent torque. after 4,400 rpm's (short runner mode) the flaps in a GSR manifold close causing the runners to be shorter, honda seems to think that you must be on it for a reason so now that your in (short runner mode) you'll get better top end, then vtec kicks in and gives you an even bigger bump in power.

point is the manifold muffles the sound of the intake valves opening more because if the bulk or mass of the inside of the manifold, so if you really want to hear vtec crack get a skunk 2 or edelbrock manifold and a short ram intake and you'll really hear it... if your on a budget look on the right side of your manifold and you'll see something that looks similar to a throttle body. Disconnect the vac line on the valve on top of it and cap it off and turn the flaps so they are open and zip tie it in that position. You'll be in short runner mode all the time making for a little better mid to top end power!

Hope this helps!
Old 05-26-2008, 12:11 AM

Default Re: (Hspec)

you have to remember V-TEC (V-TECH LMAO) is either on or off there is nothing that will change the way it sounds no not even a dent in the oil pan..
Old 05-26-2008, 12:14 AM

Oh and just for the sake of I have heard this b4 a GSR does not have dual stage V-TEC the only motor to have that is a d15b jdm dual stage V-TEC.....
Old 05-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hspec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you have to remember V-TEC (V-TECH LMAO) is either on or off there is nothing that will change the way it sounds no not even a dent in the oil pan.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Way to make fun of a noob's spelling of VTEC, and then spell it wrong yourself with a hyphen. Go ask a dyno tuner, you aren't supposed to feel or really even hear the crossover if the engine is tuned right.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gibsanez)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gibsanez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Way to make fun of a noob's spelling of VTEC, and then spell it wrong yourself with a hyphen. Go ask a dyno tuner, you aren't supposed to feel or really even hear the crossover if the engine is tuned right.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ideally, you're not. However, in most cases, you will.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the worst my vtec is not working thread ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rickdrizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Jesus frickin' christ. I see these threads so often.

The GSR vtec engagement is @ 4400 and the secondaries are @ 5750. No, you will not hear the vtec. Most likely you'll hear the secondaries open up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^BOTTOM LINE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS IS ONE OF THE ONLY CORRECT STATEMENTS HERE. You can't hear or feel vtec crossover in a STOCK gsr. you may think you can but you don't unless your car is running horribly. Please no more
Old 05-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hspec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK WAIT WAIT WAIT PEOPLE! Let's not confuse anyone here...... Let me explain the GSR intake manifold so it could make sense to a nooB.....

Let's start with why the GSR manifold is shaped the way it is.

1st it has a snail shell look because when honda designed the gsr it wanted to meet both fuel mileage needs and performance needs without type r cost so as some mechanics know from working on old cars like a 87 chevy camaro z28 iroc-z with TPI know that long runners are good for both torque and gas mileage. so when your driving your GSR down the road at lower than 4,400 rpm's (long runner mode) your saving gas and getting decent torque. after 4,400 rpm's (short runner mode) the flaps in a GSR manifold close causing the runners to be shorter, honda seems to think that you must be on it for a reason so now that your in (short runner mode) you'll get better top end, then vtec kicks in and gives you an even bigger bump in power.

point is the manifold muffles the sound of the intake valves opening more because if the bulk or mass of the inside of the manifold, so if you really want to hear vtec crack get a skunk 2 or edelbrock manifold and a short ram intake and you'll really hear it... if your on a budget look on the right side of your manifold and you'll see something that looks similar to a throttle body. Disconnect the vac line on the valve on top of it and cap it off and turn the flaps so they are open and zip tie it in that position. You'll be in short runner mode all the time making for a little better mid to top end power!

Hope this helps!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Some call others noobs and then hoist their own noob flag high into the air. Some of the incorrect information has been bolded. Let me clarify this for the noobs so that there is no doubt, question, ambiguity, or reason for interpretation.

For a stock USDM B18C1, the VTEC enagages at 4400 RPM when at WOT. The IAB opens the short runners at ~5750 RPM. The butterflies are closed and block the short runners at low RPM and open to allow the air to flow through the short runners at high RPM. The long runners are always open.

The normal position for the IAB butterflies is the open position. Vacuum is applied at low RPM to close them.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dogginator)

Dogginator is on fire