Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Mission Accomplished: Toda FW and ACT HD-SS Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mission Accomplished: Toda FW and ACT HD-SS Installed

I just spent the last two days living underneath my car and performing the above operation. It took us half a day to remove the tranny and then another day for me to put it back together. Most of it was me debating whether I could get it back up by myself, considering it took three people to get the tranny off very carefully. I wasn't sure I could exhibit the same caution with gravity working against me.

I wish I could say that I He-man'd it back onto the block, but rather I made use of a rental tranny lift, and it took me about an hour to get the tranny into position and splines lined up (had to turn the crank a few times). When it did get on the block, it was only on by the dowel pins and the mainshaft. It all came together pretty easily.

The hard parts:

1.) Getting the axle nuts off. One of the nuts was stuck, so we had to leave the axle and intermediate shaft laying on the floor, hanging off the hub.

2.) Getting the tranny off.

3.) Getting the tranny back on.

4.) Re-installing the mounts. I bolted the rear mount to the chasis first, when I should have bolted it ot the block first and then did the frame mount. It made the drivetrain all crooked and I couldn't get teh upper tranny mount lined up.

5.) Running out at 2AM to get a 3/8" drive 12pt, 17mm socket for the flywheel bolts. 12pt is a MUST! I had 12pt sockets in 1/2" drive, but my torque wrench was 3/8" drive.

6.) Getting the axles pushed back in. My friend had to practically ram it in to get it to seat down all the way.

7.) Getting the boot around the clutch slave cylinder properly into the tranny case.

8.) Walking around Walmart with a pressure plate circle on my chest.

I installed the rear Energy Suspension polyurethane inserts and a ES strg rack bushing at the same time.

Also, the Toda flywheel is able to accept up to 9 pressure plate bolts, but the stock flywheel only had 6. I could be using 3 more. Just a note to people wanting to use this flywheel.

And, the last comment I want to make is that after I started it, and then waiting a couple of minutes, I let the clutch all the way out in neutral....it started making this soft clanging sound in rhythm with the engine. It goes away if I push in the clutch. After I shut down and restarted the engine, it was gone the next time I let the clutch out. It happened again in the morning (so it could just be a cold thing).

Impression: I've only driven it for 100+ miles (most highway), and I can tell you that it has the potential to haul *** and pounce off the line. It cranks twice as fast to start and it erupts to life (literally). The ACT HD-SS grabs firmly and quickly...there is no transition. It's an on/off kinda thing. Clutch pedal pressure is at least twice as stiff. And, it revs like a motorcycle...very short vrrrm's when you blip the throttle. It takes quite a while to get used to it b/c you have to time your shifts very differently (quicker), and concentrate a lot more to make the shift smooth. Hills are your enemy and you have to slip the clutch quite a bit to make it a smooth launch. That's it. I'm gonna go drive now.
Old 03-15-2002, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Mission Accomplished: Toda FW and ACT HD-SS Installed (IN VTEC)

Oh, and a few highlight pics.

[Modified by IN VTEC, 8:32 PM 3/15/2002]
Old 03-15-2002, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mission Accomplished: Toda FW and ACT HD-SS Installed (Elephant Special)

Good job. Looks like you knew what you were doin. Those motor mount inserts help a lot to dont they? I did my clutch a couple weeks ago in my gsr and it is such a bitch. It took me two days too. Except I have a clutchmasters stage 3 and a clutchmaster flywheel. **** revs so much faster. Have fun, I know I am.
Old 03-15-2002, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mission Accomplished: Toda FW and ACT HD-SS Installed (VteCNiCaL)

Yeah, I just finished my break in for my clutchnet stage II and 7lb flywheel. Revs really really quick and the clutch grabs instantly. It's fun to drive but can be difficult in some instances, especially until you get used to it!