Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Major Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:27 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Major Transmission Problems

okay so I have a 99 integra ls with 105k miles on it.I never had any serious problems with it but a couple weeks ago it started making a rattling noise from what appears to be the right passenger side of the engine.

When the clutch pedal is pressed in there are no noises at all.
When the clutch pedal is not pressed in there is a rattling/whirring noise and its veryy noticable when I let off the gas in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear, also when downshifting into 1st 2nd or 3rd gear. The whirring noise gets loud when I let the clutch out to go into gear.

After getting a few opinions and reading into it i determined with the help of a few mechanics that it was most likely my throwout bearing. so I took the car to a fairly cheap mechanic to have him install a new clutch kit. After the mechanic finished installing it the car still makes the same sound and he said that the throwout bearing wasn't the problem, he believed something is wrong with the transmission. 4 days ago i picked up my integra from his shop and brought it home where it has not been turned on since( he said to use it as little as possible), however, i went to go turn it on today and it wouldnt go into gear while the car was on at all. I dont know too much about cars but what could the problem be? do i need a new transmission? could the mechanic of installed the clutch kit wrong and the throwout bearing is indeed the problem?

another thing i noticed was when i turned on my car the radio wouldnt work it read "c04" or "error", could the mechanic of wired something wrong?
Thanks
Old 08-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Major Transmission Problems

I have no idea what your problem is. It sounds like the mechanic could have installed the clutch kit wrong. I have learned that when taking a car to the shop go for the one who knows what they are doing. Not the cheapest one. Brother paid out an extra $800 because he went to the cheap mechanic. The c04 and error thing is probably because, when he was working on your car he more then likely disconnected your battery cables. Its a thing that integras seems to have. Mine says code whenever I disconnect the cables. Go to a Honda or Acura dealership and they should be able to help you with that part. I would take it to a different(more expensive/more then likely smarter) mechanic, and ask them to look at the installement the other mechanic did, and to see what they're opinion is on what is wrong with your car.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, I know your new and you have 1 post, So i'm going to make this as easy as possible for you.

Your problem with your noise:

NOT THE PROBLEM:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Is NOT your throw out bearing
- It Is not your clutch
- It is not your flywheel
- It is not your bearing in the flywheel
- It is not the clutch release fork.

PROBLEM:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Main input shaft bearing has failed.

REASON:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Excess speeds and or stunt driving/racing on an OEM clutch, and tranny parts.
(oem cannot handle 6 and 7k clutch dumbs at high speeds, Your aftermarket clutches and parts CAN.)

FIX the issue:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Never go back to the retarded mechanic that did your clutch change.
-Take your car to a shop specially designed fort ransmission maintnence to fix your issue, Tell them your main input shaft bearing is shot and the tranny needs an overhaul.
will cost u prolly 300$ + labour and parts so ur prolly looking close to 750 to a grand for all.
- OR take the transmission out yourself and bring it to the shop and they will replace/do al lthe work for 300$.

then u take it back home and put it in.

if you go your route and do thingsd yourself there is a detailed procedure documented u should follow to doalso, also buy a haynes or service manual and use the service manual as a main and the guides on here as a reference, i can get u all the guids/links u need whenever u decide to do whatever let me know if u have any more questions.

I know all this because it recently was problem.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:53 PM
New User

alright thanks for all the answers... so you don't think that the mechanic installed anything incorrectly since it just suddently didnt go into gear a few days after he installed the new clutch kit?

how long did it take you to take your transmission out? and if you could send those links/guildes thatd be great
Old 08-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Team-integra.net guide to replacing a clutchthis is am ust)

http://www.team-integra.net/sections...?ArticleID=957

NOTE THE TOOLS AND MATERIALS AND GET ALL OF THEM.

Theres also a service manual online for free, that shows even more detailed pics and everything, i didint use this but if u feel insecure search for it online, ull get it.

with the right tools its easy. im talking air compressor and air tools, (i for one did not have any of these, i just did it with hand tools and wrenches.

and some experience ur looking at 4-6 hours.

For me being totaly new to mechanics at the time and taking apart trannys and knowing where everything is and goes back when i did it , I took my time and did it over the course of 3 weeks.

that included properly labbeling every screw, nut bolt etc in diff baggies.

cleaning evey part and nut bolt washer etc that came off EVERYTHING.

buying all new gaskets such as the drive shaft oil seals , exhaust donut gaskets, etc, also dont forget ull need to drain all the fluids and reget them aswell.

working and spending time with life. I have two cars so i could afford the downtime and didint stress to work on it every day for hours.
also i needed parts which i didint buy all upfront before doing so they came during the work.

first things first start with your materials and tools, then once obtained have fun.

it isnt hard, its just a matter of taking ur time and be prepared to get frustraited, pissed, throw things, bitch at ur gf or wife, etc etc.

esp when u ask for help and the one helping u is retarded.

as for the links and guides.

the one i started with was this one from team integra, it lists your tools/materials u need, so i suggest getting EVERYTHING on that list. ur gonna need it, print it all out so its a nice even booklet, ittl be like 30 pages.

then get yerself a haynes manual (this is ur main) but it doesnt show clear pics so thats y i used team integra guide for pics and referalls.

the hardest thing to me was getting it back in cause u gotta line it up with the dowel pins and without a tranny jack its a ****ing bitch, this part took me two days with floor jacks and plywood ramps etc lol cause iwas not renting a 200$ tranny jack or buying it for 400$
lol

as for ur mechanic installing things wrong, its very hard todo so.

if he installed one of these components wrong he needs to give up his license.

flywheel on both sides look the same but there are differences on which side goes which way. minly the dowel pins need to line up, if they dont then it plain and simple wont fit.

The pressure plate also has dowels which only goes on one way.
the flywheel bearing goes in the middle of the flywheel, again one way.

The only thing he could of ****ed it was put the clutch disc on in reverse LOL

otherwise i dont see why ur having trouble getting it in gear.

unless your clutch pedal height wasnt adjusted, therefor not opening the clutch disc enough for the shifter to go in.

try that first before spending money, adjusting the pedal is easy. do some searching on "clutch pedal adjustment" and u should be able to get r done within the hour

keep in mind if u dont fix this problem, it isnt gonna kill your tranny today or tmorrow, or next month, but it sure is dieing a slow death and eventuallyl will crap out on you and stop working or at an excessive speed one day blow the bearing out the side of ur tranny. For now drive it carefully and decently, dont worry to much about the nosie cause thats infact all it is, is noise. its like throwing a marble into the washer. ull hear it but it wont do dmg until over time.

Accumilate ur parts (this is #1) then accumilate ur tools then strip ur tranny.

cause even if u get ur parts and not the tools u can still have a shop do ur work. and in one day or prolly tell u to leave it n come back the next day.

anyway GL lmk if u need anything else

Last edited by Integra4lyfe069; 08-15-2009 at 08:54 PM.