Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

LS Vtec swap help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Vtec swap help needed

Looking to do a DIY LS/Vtec swap (shop is doing all the assembly so I am just handling the pull / drop in). I have a 2000 integra LS and bought a B18C GSR head

I've done some research on the logistics of swapping the motor which seems pretty straightforward...but since this is a LS Vtec swap is there anything I do differently as stated from the motor pull / drop in the helms manual?

From an electronics standpoint what do I need to get the car running? I assume these are required but correct me if I'm wrong:
- Vtec ECU - I plan to run Hondata
- LS Vtec subharness
- Anything else?
Old 12-07-2018, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS Vtec swap help needed

I've done a few and doing one now, is the shop doing the oil conversion too? ie. tapping the head and plugging it (I'm using a golden eagle one myself comes with the head gasket). Are they adding a vtec oil pump? I would recommend you change the pistons crank and rods to a vtec ones. The Vtec pistons are shaped to fit a tech head so there won't be any clearance issues. Also since the block is exposed be a good idea to inspect it change gaskets and seals just to be safe. all this is optional but it will help it be more reliable. for instance (see pic Below), this was my daughters b18 block after I took the head off. This is where I decided to just rebuild the whole thing because I found oil in a few of the cylinder walls. so at least inspect the block, or have the shop do it if you trust them. remember these cars and motors are at least 18 years old so changing a few things will only help it last longer. oh, get arp studs and bolts. pepboys had a sale last month might still be on if you want to save some cash. I know there is a ton of info out there, but if you need help or have questions I'll answer what I can. if I can't I'm sure someone here can help as well

Old 01-29-2019, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also lsvtec engines are never perfectly in time like a factory block. adjustable cam gears might be a good investment
Old 01-30-2019, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of people run a chipped OBD1 P28 ECU. Hondata is even better. You'll need a base map to get the engine started, then a dyno tune would be best. VTEC needs to be wired in, you can buy subharnesses or run your own wires. As said above, mechanical timing is an issue, so adjustable cam gears are a good idea. The is also an aftermarket secondary timing belt tensioner you can add on because the LS-V engines suffer from timing belt slap.

As far as dropping the engine into the car it sounds like you're set. Everything else is standard B-series, so if the shop is handing you a fully assembled engine and you have your computer and harness, you should be good.