Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

ls/vtec: mods to the block

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls/vtec: mods to the block

i am in the process of building an ls/vtec motor for my civic. will all this stuff work on a b18a/b block:
gsr main caps/girdle
gsr oil pan/ oil pump screen
ls crank, gsr rods w/ ls pistons

basically making the ls block a gsr block with the ls casting number and pistons.
what head gasket would i use?
a ls gasket or gsr gasket?
Old 09-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls/vtec: mods to the block (98GSR-Turbo)

[QUOTE=98GSR-Turbo]ls crank, gsr rods w/ ls pistons

First, GsR rods are longer than ls rods, I think you will have problems having your piston clearance with the head, (if you use ls crank)

second, are you trying to go turbo or allmotor?
if turbo ls pistons will be fine .............but I don't think they will be ideal for allmotor.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls/vtec: mods to the block (evildc2)

yeah i found out after i posted that gsr rods are longer. but the question i am getting to is if i use gsr main bearing caps and the girdle will the ls crank pistons and rods hold an 8000 rpm redline. i read somewhere that the only bad thing about the ls/vtec is the rpm issue. using the gsr caps and girdle i will have to use the gsr oil pump screen and oil pan right?

and will a OBD1 b18a block work well with a OBD2 b18c head? what sensors will work on the block in an obd2 car?
Old 09-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1676914

there you go.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont want to build the **** outta this motor its just gonna be a standard ls/vtec.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in the thread it says the weakness in lsvtecs is the rod bolts. just replace those bolts and then, according to the thread, you should be fine.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u can get the ls mains machined. u dont need the gsr mains. for the added strength, u'll need the girdle, girdle bolts, gsr pan, pick up and windage tray. ls head gasket for the build
Old 09-16-2008, 09:17 PM

Default Re: ls/vtec: mods to the block (evildc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by evildc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[QUOTE=98GSR-Turbo]ls crank, gsr rods w/ ls pistons

First, GsR rods are longer than ls rods, I think you will have problems having your piston clearance with the head, (if you use ls crank)

second, are you trying to go turbo or allmotor?
if turbo ls pistons will be fine .............but I don't think they will be ideal for allmotor.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm pretty sure that gsr rods are shorter than ls rods.

and if you are using a b18b/a block, you should be able to use ls rods, just shot peed them and make sure to use arp rod bolts. also p30 pistons will fit onto ls rods.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this may be a stupid question but what is "shot peed"?
just going to use the ls rods and pistons with arp bolts and use the gsr girdle/bolt, oil pan, pick up, windage tray. so my block will handle an 8k redline with all this? NO BOOST NO NITROUS NO ALL MOTOR just a quick little motor to get me through the winter.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i have a few more questions. the gsr block has one oil channel that the ls block doesnt have. what do i have to do to the ls block for the gsr head to be bolted on??? this being asked brings me to the next question. someone said on this thread earlier to use the LS head gasket but if the gsr head has that oil channel that the ls doesnt have the oil would spill outta the head when its running? i was told i would have to drill and dowel something? the head? or the block?

ls block
gsr block

Modified by 98GSR-Turbo at 7:57 PM 10/12/2008
Old 10-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98GSR-Turbo)

its shot peen
Old 10-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98GSR-Turbo)

The gsr has an extra oil channel which runs to the piston oil squirters inside of the block, which you won't be able to replicate on the LS block, and an oil channel to the head, which supplies oil pressure to the vtec solenoid, which you won't need. You'll need to tap and plug this oil feed hole in the bottom of the gsr head so it won't leak oil, and run a new oil line from the back of the LS block to the back of the gsr head to supply oil pressure for the vtec solenoid and rockers.

To bolt the gsr head to the LS block, you'll need to either buy the Golden Eagle vtec conversion dowel pins, which are stepped and allow the head to seat right on the block without drilling, or use a drill press to increase the size of holes already on the bottom of the gsr head to match the LS headgasket and dowel size. The drilling method utilizes any stock dowel pins and LS headgasket, the aftermarket vtec conversion dowel method uses a B series vtec headgasket.

For more information and pictures, you should check out http://www.c-speedracing.com/h...c.php
Old 10-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hostile1)

And to add/clear up a little more for you:

The main weakness of an LS block are the rod bolts. You'll need to have the rods drilled out to fit the larger ARP rod bolts, but this alone should allow your engine to rev to 8k without spinning a rod bearing.

The B18c rods are longer than the LS rods, which combined with a shorter stroke, give it a better rod/stroke ratio. The deck heights are identical, and the b18c has a shorter stroke; it would need to have longer rods for the pistons to reach the deck.

An alternative to using the Gsr girdle and having to get machine work to the caps/block, you should check out something like this: http://www.z10eng.com/catalog/...id=37

You don't need to touch the block to bolt a vtec head to it, but you will need to add some sort of adapter to it to supply the head with oil pressure for vtec. Either a t-fitting off of the oil pressure sensor, or a sandwich adapter between the filter will work.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok that link you sent me was the hard way to do it. what i am going to do is use a sandwich plate with 2 tapped holes. tap the oil channel on the head, put a 1/8 90degree elbow in it run a braided line from the elbow to the sandwich plate. on the other holes i am going to hook up an oil pressure gauge. this is (i think) way easier than that link you sent me.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ill post pics when its completed.