Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

integra wiring question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Who the fack changed my title?!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default integra wiring question.

I do not have a horn or the clip or the horn wires visible. Where can I trace the wires on the front of the car at? Are they located somewhere on the pass side chassis harness somewhere? Need to figure this out so my car can pass inspection

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:32 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: integra wiring question.

What year Integra?

Should be in harness that runs to the front of the car, it is a loteasier to work on if you pull the front clip off the car. 94
Old 01-10-2013, 11:48 AM

It's a 96 Integra 4 door
Old 01-10-2013, 04:23 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Access the steering wheel harness, find the horn lead, [normally blue/green but may be gray] supply a ground to that lead, if horn honks the problem is the "clock spring" if not check the relay...

Name:  62217_horn_2.jpg
Views: 9877
Size:  24.7 KB

Unplug the relay and use a paper clip to jump pins #1 and #3, if horn works everything after the relay and the fuse is good.

Test pin #4 for a ground when you press on the horn button, if good replace the relay, if not check clock spring, [cable reel].

If all the above is good you will need to get to the horn and the 2pin plug, blue/red and black, test for voltag on the blue/grd when horn button pressed and for ground on the black. 94
Old 01-10-2013, 05:27 PM

As I was doing the wiring for the lights earlier, I noticed that on either side of the car(inner chassis by inner apron) that there are blue red wires. Single blue/red on each side of the engine bay are those what connect the horn? Are there 2 horns equipped on this car? As for testing the horn itself by grounding the wire out, the horn isn't even hooked up or there.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:57 AM

I found that grey wire just hanging there. Where does it go? I do not see a clock spring anywhere when I removed the air bag. At all. On the turn signal assembly, I DID hovever find an attachment on the back bottom side of the blinker switch where you could attach a single female clip to. But I think I saw a blue red or a blue green wire on one of the clips that attached to the switch assembly but that was about it.

When I went to look under the dash I could not locate the wires by the fuse block...unless they are on the back side??? As far as the 2nd pic goes, that's what I discovered when I went looking for the relay. The wires are just extended to the same color wires. I also located an odd L shaped clip wig 2 gray wires and one single gray wire. It was some how fished into a wire set that was covered with yellow wire loom that somehow went to thesteering wheel. I may just run to the junk yard and pull apart a Teg if I can find one and see how **** works.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you recently buy this vehicle, or was it a theft recovery?

I'm not sure I'm following everything you're saying but I'll take a shot at it.

First of all, factory yellow wire loom is for SRS components. Is your SRS light on? The wires in the SRS harness are usually all grey. If you have anything tapped into an SRS harness, you should disconnect them and inspect the wiring. Do this only after you have disconnected the battery for at least 10 minutes. If there is any damage to the wiring, the harness should be replaced not repaired. I have repaired some SRS harnesses in the past, but you do so at your own risk.

Your horn should be mounted on the front right (passenger) side of the radiator support. There should be a single wire connector going to it (blue/red according to fcm's diagram). If you have no horn, start by getting one and check for that connector. It is part of the right side engine bay harness so hopefully it is still there. As fcm stated, it is easier to get to with the front bumper cover removed. Then check the rest of the circuit.

The grey wire in your first picture looks like it is connected correctly.
The clock spring is behind the steering wheel, you won't see it with the steering wheel still on.
I'm not following you on the turn signal switch. Perhaps another picture will help.
Is the connector in your second pic connected to a relay? If so you probably just need to do a proper wiring repair for the horn relay harness and you might be alright.
The other blue/red wire you found on the left side of the engine compartment is the attachment for the factory fog lights.

GL
Old 01-11-2013, 11:18 AM

Old 01-11-2013, 11:32 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Yes the blue/reds are for the horn, your car uses a "grounded" horn, [my 94 RS has a horn on each side].

As mentioned, any wiring in a yellow convoluted tubing is SRS wiring, be very carefull with this wiring, as mentioned do nothing to it without disconnecting the batt.

I think your car may have had an aftermarket steering wheel on it at some point.

If you connect a horn to the blue/red, [and ground the horn] and touch the gray lead to ground the horn should honk, or you can ground the gray lead and then test the blue/red for power to confirm the horn circuit is working.

Where exactly is that plug with the cut/extended wires plugged into? 94
Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Never mind, I see it now. 94
Old 01-11-2013, 11:52 AM

One of the relays that didn't have anything plugged into it. Those wires run behind the fuse block into a clip that plugs into the back left side of the fuse block.
So what you are saying is, well actually I don't understand. If I ground out the horn and attach the blue red to the other blue red, how is anything connected to the steering wheel. I don't have that brass shoe that attaches from the column to the steering wheel.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:15 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Originally Posted by sh!ft
If I ground out the horn and attach the blue red to the other blue red, how is anything connected to the steering wheel. I don't have that brass shoe that attaches from the column to the steering wheel.
Not exactly what I said.

To test the horn circuit, you can..

1- Connect a horn to the red/blue, on right front side of car, [ground the horn] and then touch the gray, at steering ,bto ground, [same as pressing horn button] if the horn sounds, the circuit is good.
Or...

2 Ground the gray lead, test the red/blue for power. if there is power at the red/blue, the horn circuit is good, a horn is not needed to test the circuit. 94
Old 01-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't notice that the black connector with the grey wire at the steering wheel was cut in your earlier pics. There should be a corresponding cut wire on the cable reel. Did you see one?

You need to reconnect that wire. But it does go on that tab you had it on earlier. That's what sends the ground signal to the relay.

My 95 GSR only has one horn, btw. What trim Integra is your 96?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:49 PM

I believe an ls. It has sunroof and all power accessories. I do not have the clock spring. That's what is missing from my setup.

Oh and I managed to get a single wire horn from the junkyard today

Last edited by sh!ft; 01-11-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your chassis code is DC4 (digit 4, 5 and 6 of your VIN), then you have an LS.

If you don't have a cable reel/clock spring, your steering wheel horn buttons will not sound your horn. Also your cruise control won't work. A new one is about 300 bucks so maybe try to find a used one.

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...s=&view=normal
Old 01-11-2013, 10:15 PM

I'm picking up a complete steering wheel, a sunroof, and some door panel switches, and a cluster for 50 or 60 bucks tomorrow
Old 01-12-2013, 09:34 AM

Edit: got the sunroof and the entire steering column WITH matching key for 40 BUCKS!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:56 PM

so as the day came to an end, i realized the sunroof was for an rs coupe and the steering wheel had a different type of clock spring in it.

mine looks like this

but the steering wheel i got had this in it

and just for helps sake here is one of the clips i have under the dash of my car. im not sure if this will help determine what type of srs series im running

i have yet to look under the steerring column to confirm weather the assembly is obd1 or obd2, and im starting to get more and more pissed about it. is there any way i can just set up the horn to honk when i pres the horn button so i can worry about the srs **** later? im mainly trying to get this fixed so i can pass inspection
Old 01-13-2013, 11:13 AM

Any ideas?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Without the correct clock spring the horn will not work, all steering wheel switching goes through the clock spring.

Can you not reuse your clock spring?94
Old 01-13-2013, 11:48 AM

Never had one to begin with. I don't even know if that steering wheel is the correct wheel that came on my car. When I said the one I had, I meant that's the one I needed because that steering wheel had the clear plastic piece inside vs the wheel that I bought. Which had the black plastic piece with the srs info label on it.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:47 PM

Update. So i took apart my clock spring to make sure there were no cracks in the wiring. Which there were none. Then i took a piece of wire and connected it to one of the brass pins, hooked it up to the horn and then took a wire leading from the battery and tested the other end of the harness to see which wire was hooked up to which pin. And wala, i got power to 2 pins. So now i have a functioning horn but no air bag. Its good enough to get me to pass inspection. And that's what i really only wanted to do anyways.

On the flip side i took the better looking of the 2 air bags and reinstalled it. Thus leaving me with an extra air bag.....

Wonder what i can blow up now lol.