Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Integra Failed Emissions - High NOx! please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integra Failed Emissions - High NOx! please help

Hey guys, I'm searching around as I write this thread for an answer, but I really need to know ASAP. I have a 1992 Integra RS, 5 speed with a B18B1. I took the car for a smog/emissions test today, and the car passed on everything but the NO ppm (NOx) section. The limit is 505 and my car read 2051. Anyone know what could cause such a high reading? I just put a skunk2 cat back exhaust (used-good cond.) and a magnaflow 2" cat on (new). Everything else passed with flying colours, but the NO ppm failed by quite a bit.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!

here's a copy of my readings:

Old 02-27-2010, 11:48 AM
They let me pick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Integra Failed Emissions - High NOx! please help

Check your egr and vacuum hoses.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sea foam through the brake booster line. works every time. no joke.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did the seafoam too. The stuff is pretty cool. Other things to do: new o2 sensor, new cat, clean the egr valve, clean the air filter, new pcv valve. Before my checks i also put in new plugs. Good luck man. I've also heard that you can run your tank to nearly empty, then pour in 16oz of pure (or 99%) of isopropyl alcohol and take it to the test immediately. supposedly it burns cooler.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh god no. No alcohol please.

Check ignition timing. EGR but did the B18A have EGR... I'm drawing a blank. And get rid of the Magnaflow cat and never buy a Magnaflow cat again. They're pure crap. Just get whatever cat the exhaust shop gives you. "High flow performance" cat is a complete joke. Cats don't cost you any power until you're making ultra-ridiculous power.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:41 PM

No EGR....Methyl Hydrate...nuff said
Old 02-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the suggestions guys! I've read a few places that only the automatic transmission Integras have EGR valves...true? Also, the mechanic poured a product similar to Seafoam which he said works great. so I'm going to go back and test again on monday and see how that goes. any other help is appreciated too!
Old 02-28-2010, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check your o2 sensor they might be bad
Old 03-04-2010, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey guys....so I retarded the timing and the car still read too high (800-900). We even retarded it as far as it could go, and still no luck. I bought plugs last night, so I'm gonna throw those in. But I'm a little stuck...not sure where to go from here. Any other help?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:27 AM
They let me pick

Check the egr. If you have a spare OEM cat lying around swap that in.
How are your engine temps? If they are too hot, nox will go up as well.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Set ignition timing to factory specs. Pour 3/4 of a can of sea foam through the brake booster line. Pour the rest in the gas tank. The next day put in some new NGK V-Power plugs. You may also need a new O2 sensor.

If you still fail then, its time for a new catalytic converter. I have been using the Magnaflow high flow cats for years and never had a problem with them. Sure they don't last as long, but they are nearly the price of a factory one.

But I am almost 100% certain if you use the Sea Foam correctly, you will pass emissions.

Sounds like you don't know how to do the sea foam trick, so I will tell you:

1. Start the car.

2. Take the hose off the brake booster that runs from it to the back of the intake manifold.

3. Get a small funnel that fits inside the hose.

4. Have a friend sit inside the car and keep the rev's above 1000-1500. Tell him DO NOT let the car stall when you are pouring the sea foam in. It will want to try to stall if the revs are not kept up.

5. Start pouring the sea foam into the funnel at a slow and steady pace. Not too much because you don't want to flood the engine. Continue pouring until you've empty 1/2-3/4 of the bottle. Then shut the car off and wait 15 minutes.

6. 15-20 minutes later go take your car for a very spirited drive. Be sure to get on it and drive it hard. Lots of red line pulls. Your car will be smoking A LOT. Do not worry, nothing is wrong. Your engine is cleaning itself. Continue driving hard until there is no more smoke coming from your exhaust.

7. Change your oil and change your spark plugs.

8. Pour the rest of the sea foam into your gas tank and drive it for a day or two, then go back through emissions.

9. If done correctly and your catalytic converter is working, you will pass.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:20 AM

ok man for the most part you need to be looking at your plugs.wires.cap and rotor. vacoom lines and put the stock cat back on. if you want more power that way you get larger piping and a better muffler. oh and if your temp is too hot that messes with a lot of things. but if your check engine light isn't on your o2 is fine. and DO NOT USE PURE ALCOHOL.ever.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Threads like this make me nervous to move to Nevada....i've never had to do ANYTHING emissions related in ND. Hell, i dont even have a catalytic converter anymore. Good luck with the Sea Foam method...odd, but if it works, whatever
Old 03-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wait 2 years= no more inspection, problem solved.......
Old 03-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I picked up ngk v power plugs. Gonna put them in then try the sea foam trick mentioned above. I really hope that works...if not I dunno what to do. Engine temp is normal...no engine light on. But we'll see how it goes...also, I've read that my integra wouldn't have an egr...is this true? Its a 92 rs coupe with a b18b1 from a 95 integra I believe.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by jardine90si
Hey guys, I'm searching around as I write this thread for an answer, but I really need to know ASAP. I have a 1992 Integra RS, 5 speed with a B18B1. I took the car for a smog/emissions test today, and the car passed on everything but the NO ppm (NOx) section. The limit is 505 and my car read 2051. Anyone know what could cause such a high reading? I just put a skunk2 cat back exhaust (used-good cond.) and a magnaflow 2" cat on (new). Everything else passed with flying colours, but the NO ppm failed by quite a bit.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!

here's a copy of my readings:

Is that cat actually a cat with the stuff inside, you may need a stock cat to pass
Old 03-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mrdeadman
Check the egr. If you have a spare OEM cat lying around swap that in.
How are your engine temps? If they are too hot, nox will go up as well.
I don't think my car has an EGR. I read that only automatics do. No spare cat My engine temps seem normal too.

Originally Posted by 92integraVTECgsr
Set ignition timing to factory specs. Pour 3/4 of a can of sea foam through the brake booster line. Pour the rest in the gas tank. The next day put in some new NGK V-Power plugs. You may also need a new O2 sensor.

If you still fail then, its time for a new catalytic converter. I have been using the Magnaflow high flow cats for years and never had a problem with them. Sure they don't last as long, but they are nearly the price of a factory one.

But I am almost 100% certain if you use the Sea Foam correctly, you will pass emissions.

Sounds like you don't know how to do the sea foam trick, so I will tell you:

1. Start the car.

2. Take the hose off the brake booster that runs from it to the back of the intake manifold.

3. Get a small funnel that fits inside the hose.

4. Have a friend sit inside the car and keep the rev's above 1000-1500. Tell him DO NOT let the car stall when you are pouring the sea foam in. It will want to try to stall if the revs are not kept up.

5. Start pouring the sea foam into the funnel at a slow and steady pace. Not too much because you don't want to flood the engine. Continue pouring until you've empty 1/2-3/4 of the bottle. Then shut the car off and wait 15 minutes.

6. 15-20 minutes later go take your car for a very spirited drive. Be sure to get on it and drive it hard. Lots of red line pulls. Your car will be smoking A LOT. Do not worry, nothing is wrong. Your engine is cleaning itself. Continue driving hard until there is no more smoke coming from your exhaust.

7. Change your oil and change your spark plugs.

8. Pour the rest of the sea foam into your gas tank and drive it for a day or two, then go back through emissions.

9. If done correctly and your catalytic converter is working, you will pass.
I'll be trying this tomorrow. I picked up NGK V-Power plugs and a can of SeaFoam tonight. So I use the product, drive it hard, get the smoke out, THEN put in the new plugs? Also, the car has no insurance. So step number 8) will be kinda hard...could i pour the stuff into the gas tank and let it idle in the parking lot and maybe drive it around the parking lot for a couple hours? I'll definitely dry the SeaFoam thing though, thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it goes.

Originally Posted by rod95blkteg
ok man for the most part you need to be looking at your plugs.wires.cap and rotor. vacoom lines and put the stock cat back on. if you want more power that way you get larger piping and a better muffler. oh and if your temp is too hot that messes with a lot of things. but if your check engine light isn't on your o2 is fine. and DO NOT USE PURE ALCOHOL.ever.
this is exactly what I thought. if the engine light is not on (which it isn't), I'm sure the 02 sensor is fine. I'll take a look at the cap and rotor though. When you say don't put pure alcohol, you're not referring to sea foam are you?

Originally Posted by hondahead_dave
wait 2 years= no more inspection, problem solved.......
Lol, the whole reason I bought the car THIS YEAR is so I could drive it...THIS YEAR. I need a car on the road now, not in 2 years lol. Thanks anyway haha

Originally Posted by Steven.
Is that cat actually a cat with the stuff inside, you may need a stock cat to pass
I think the cats fine, can't really remember what it looked like inside. like i know its not hollowed out or nothing. I bought it off a guy on the web. He said it was brand new, never used. I know it was never used because you could tell, but im 99% sure the internals were normal.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I think the cats fine, can't really remember what it looked like inside. like i know its not hollowed out or nothing. I bought it off a guy on the web. He said it was brand new, never used. I know it was never used because you could tell, but im 99% sure the internals were normal.

I have done emissions with a stock gutted cut and I have bought an aftermarket cat and also failed for the same thing without the stock cat. The aftermarket is not the same also hence the "high flo", I would just use a stock cat to pass then you dont have to worry for 2 years, happened to me. Js.. Good luck
Old 03-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I did the sea foam method mentioned above, replaced the plugs with NGK V-Powers, and drove the hell out of it. Did the E test when the car was nice and hot...Still no luck I even retarded the timing right back, and the NOx read around 1,200 (limit-505). I checked out the vacuum lines, and they seem fine. I dunno where to go from here...any help or suggestion guys. I'm considering replacing the O2 sensor, but wouldn't the engine light be on if there was something wrong with it?

any help is appreciated!

(here's a pic of the test when the timing was retarded, and after i did the plugs/sea foam)

Old 03-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do both the B18A1 and B18B1 only have one O2 sensor (pre-cat)?? My car doesn't have an O2 sensor on the Skunk2 cat back exhaust or Magnaflow cat I installed, is this normal? I installed the cat and exhaust system myself, and there was no O2 sensors for it. I'm just wondering because it may be possible that the B18B1 is meant to run with two o2 sensors (pre-cat/post-cat), but 92' integras with A1's only came with one before the cat. What do you guys think?
Old 03-06-2010, 12:48 PM
New User

Yes the only have one O2 sensor located in the header pipe just behind the oil pan. Mine had an A1 in it till I installed a B1 about 18 months ago due to excessive oil consumption.

It appears that you made quite a bit of progress between the first and second test but just need one more nudge to get a pass. I would be suspecting the cat myself but unfortunately it will cost a few bucks to test the theory. Wish I has a spare stock cat sitting around to offer you.

I had my 93 teg tested today and it failed the NOx with a 773. I'm located just south of you so I'm fighting the same limits (505). I'm going top attempt the same items as you to see if I can get the few points I need to get another two years out of the old girl.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jethro911
Yes the only have one O2 sensor located in the header pipe just behind the oil pan. Mine had an A1 in it till I installed a B1 about 18 months ago due to excessive oil consumption.

It appears that you made quite a bit of progress between the first and second test but just need one more nudge to get a pass. I would be suspecting the cat myself but unfortunately it will cost a few bucks to test the theory. Wish I has a spare stock cat sitting around to offer you.

I had my 93 teg tested today and it failed the NOx with a 773. I'm located just south of you so I'm fighting the same limits (505). I'm going top attempt the same items as you to see if I can get the few points I need to get another two years out of the old girl.
well the very first test I did nothing to the car, just drove it in and tested it. That same day, i retarded the timing and tried it and it read around 1,200. I did the sea foam, new plugs, retarded the timing and it still read 1,200. so to be honest, nothing has really changed. Thanks a lot though
Old 03-06-2010, 02:08 PM
New User

Sounds like the timing made the difference and it was quite a big difference. It wouldn't hurt to throw some methyl hydrate in there and have another go. The place I went today offered two half price retests to see if I can get the numbers down, I hope you were offered the same in Ottawa.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:46 PM
They let me pick

well the very first test I did nothing to the car, just drove it in and tested it. That same day, i retarded the timing and tried it and it read around 1,200. I did the sea foam, new plugs, retarded the timing and it still read 1,200. so to be honest, nothing has really changed. Thanks a lot though
How hot is your car running? Excessive engine temps can also cause high nox.
Retarding the timing will also bump emissions...
Try to find someone with a stock cat that will let you borrow it for a day.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I'm starting to think that my motor may be an OBD2 engine (converter to OBD1) so it is looking for two O2 sensors...does this sound possible? I'm 90% sure when I looked at the stamps on the head, I saw (9/8) which would mean 1998...I'll have to double check, but does this sound like it could be possible? Maybe my motor is searching for a second O2, so everything is all over the place. I'll also check to see what ECU I have in.

Quick Reply: Integra Failed Emissions - High NOx! please help