Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

how much oil a healthy vtec motor uses??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how much oil a healthy vtec motor uses??

Originally Posted by eclipsedsundown
Hey I roll a 98 Eclipse GST and I don't burn any oil. Got a 03 Dodge 1500 Ram Van and I have gone 6000 miles on oil change and no oil loss. My old piece of sh-- 2000 cavalier with 2.4 dohc that I beat to crap on a daily bases never lost oil up to the day I said good by.
So witch one of those engines rev past 8k, none of them.
Mine uses a little less than a quart in 3k but alot less if I don't
rev it past 6k. If you don't have a b18c you shouln't be talking
about oil consumption.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow alot for retards in this thread.
it should not burn any oil

but hey if the local shop says it burns oil then i guess honda designed the motor to burn exactly that much oil

on another note it is common to burn oil on honda motors with higher miles.
my jdm b16 did not burn any oil but then again it was the healthiest motor i have ever seen. my d16y8 didnt burn any oil with 90k on it.
its all in the head most of the time.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Trial User

So...I just had a B20 VTEC swap done in June. I would say I have about 2500 miles on it (after my initial break-in oil change) and I have put 1 quart in. Running 5W30 Royal Purple...would that be normal? Had it dynoed and all, runs perfect, no smoking. Rev limiter at 8400...I beat the **** out of it quite frequently..
Old 08-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all motors burn oil to a certain extent, whether a drop or a quart per 5000 miles. A drop or two is not measurable what so ever, so you can't say it doesn't burn oil. My integra LS with 120k burns about 1/4 quart in 5000-6000 miles using synthetic. Its been doing that since i purchased that car with 55k miles. You should be concerned if oil consumption is increasing every oil change, otherwise.... nothing to worry about OP
Old 08-18-2011, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So by your logic everybody hits 8400 rpm everytime they drive, with premium at $4 a gallon I wouldn't go hog wild on it. And If you rag hard on your motor everysecond I don't want to hear that your losing oil because your stressing the motor constantly, just shoot yourself in the foot and be done with. If you are losing oil and you drive like a normal person or even a grandmother than you got problems! END
Old 08-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My 97 coupe winter beater with a D16 has 305,000 km's on it, and it does not burn any oil over 5000-6000 km's oil change intervals. I run 5w30 quaker state conventional oil in it. My 96 Teg with a B18c5 I run Motul 5W40 8100 Full synthetic X-Cess (http://motul-canada.com/en/products/products_list.html) Read their description. In Europe there is a huge hot hatch market (Civic & Teg Type R's, ect. They developed that specific 5W40 for all the b series engines from these hot hatches because they all consume a bit of oil under VTEC, and a high percentage of that is from the PCV valve pumpin oil vapors into your intake manifold under hard driving, I have also run 5W40 AMS Oil full synthetic and always run AMS Oil synthetic filters, I have heard the Napa Gold/Platinum are solid filters aswell. My B18c5 will burn half a quart of oil every 2000-3000 km's. Throw in a few track days and it can go through half a quart in 20-35 laps. This is due to rings, valve seals, and mostly the PCV valve not full closing under hard driving. Ever notice when you drive the heck out of your car you will lose a bit of oil but if you just highway drive it, it doesn't burn anything. Like stated above I would only be concerned if your oil consumption increases between oil changes. Rebuild your motor with new rings, valve seals, and pcv valve and you probably won't burn anything. Low friction piston rings + high rpm's + higher mileage = a bit of burn. Run 91-94 octane gas and there is no chance you will have detonation with a bit of oil vapor burning off. Talk to the Prelude & H22 guys, with those garbage FRM sleeves, burning 1 quart every 1000km's if their norm because their ring to wall gaps increase over time due to those shitty sleeves. Be glad Honda gave us Iron sleeves and not FRM ones!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Recently rebuilt B18C1 with OEM P73 pistons and rings and I burn about .5qt every change. I would burn 1qt of Mobil1, but switched to GTX and it is a bit better. I wring the snot out of the motor daily, opening the second stage of the intake in 5th gear regularly.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rico05
Recently rebuilt B18C1 with OEM P73 pistons and rings and I burn about .5qt every change. I would burn 1qt of Mobil1, but switched to GTX and it is a bit better. I wring the snot out of the motor daily, opening the second stage of the intake in 5th gear regularly.
lol i really dont want to get into this debate but mobil 1 oil is ****in junk that everyone swears by entirely based on advertising. ive never had one car that had good results with mobil 1 oil.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spawne32
lol i really dont want to get into this debate but mobil 1 oil is ****in junk that everyone swears by entirely based on advertising. ive never had one car that had good results with mobil 1 oil.
didn't they do a hot wear test on this stuff and it underperformed valvoline syn, penzoil platinum and castrol synpower?
Old 08-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by racebum
didn't they do a hot wear test on this stuff and it underperformed valvoline syn, penzoil platinum and castrol synpower?
i dont keep up with it on a regular basis, i know that they dont make mobil 1 from a true synthetic base stock like the high end oils do (amsoil, royal purple, redline, etc) and i know that their over the shelf oils now meet API SN standards, which means they arent suitable for use in high performance applications, as SN oils additive packages are so ****in dumbed down now thanks to the EPA. No one really ever even takes notice to the API cert on the bottle though, then they wonder why they burn oil off.

Royal purple recently made the switch to SN grade oil on all their over the counter grade oil, under pressure from the gov. it can no longer contain synerlec. So now I am forced to buy their uncertified oils for racing application to get an SL grade oil or better. The HPS oil is supposed to have a 1200 ppm zinc content.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I healthy motor shouldn't burn any oil, Its pretty simple. If your reving your motor past 8k everyday chances are you going to go down a bit. I have a completely stock GSR and I drive it hard, 4-5k stays gold and never goes down, so far
Old 08-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Makes sense though my friend has a 2000 prelude type SH and he does eat through about 1 quart every change but he floated a valve one night with a vet when he miss a shift and hit 9000 rpms, odd as it is he didn't hit the RPM limiter and bam roadside. He got a jdm H22A4 with 10.6 compression and runs like a beast! His intake manifold was solid oil sludge but if you change your pcv valve then you shouldn't eat that much oil right.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well 9000rpms is going to get under your skin..he would have seen it coming..
Old 09-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you guys should really listen to Spawne32 because just by what he's posting i know that he knows his stuff.. i mean c'mon, you guys dont even have a reasonable argument that makes any sense. If you do, please elaborate, i'd like to hear your side of the story.

bottom line is NO you shouldnt burn any oil. Yes Vtec does burn oil but it shouldnt make a noticeable difference unless maybe if you are Forced Inducted or race your car 24/7.

My B18C has currently 63k miles and it doesnt burn a single drop of oil (at least nothing noticeable like you guys) and i do the normal change every 3k miles. Yes I stomp on it from time to time, yes i take it to the track every here and there.

miles on my engine too low? My friends GSR has 152k miles on his and its still not burning a noticeable amount.

you guys that are loosing alot of oil are either loosing it by leaks (even small leaks can make a difference) or your piston rings are on their way out.

Like mentioned earlier the older your engine is the more likely that it'll loose oil due to aging internal problems

Last edited by sengalang; 09-11-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:29 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by tonydize21
what are you talking about?k series motor are newer than b series that means that all the flaws that the b series had the k series shouldnt and no its not going to burn all of the oil
In your defense, I drive an 02 Accord with a VTech 4 which has over 175k miles on original engine and no major repairs . This car runs incredibly well and very strong and tight and smooth. I have never seen a drop of oil where I park, never smokes from outside the engine or out the exhaustexhaus. I use only name brand full synthetic or synthetic blend and I have to add on average one court per week or per 1000 miles approximately in order to keep it at the max level on my dipstick. I don't understand this at all but I don't worry too much either because it really is a mechanically sound engine. And for what it's worth, thats my 2,cent. Thanks for letting me shair. Kevin kubitzky
Old 01-09-2019, 08:39 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Don't bump threads that are 8 years old with useless posts, thanks.