Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Hey guys new here. Need insight on an intermittent chatter

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys new here. Need insight on an intermittent chatter

Hey whats up guys i have a 95 Integra SE shes at about 173k and has been well mainted. All service records from when she was bought! Anyway the last couple of months shes developed this chatter its hard to explain. Like gravel in a tin can mixed with white noise or static, but heres the kicker it only happens when im driving! And it dosent happen all the time. Ived done oil change(no metal in the oil) valve adjustment. Ive inspected all pulleys. My alternator whines but not like the sound ive been hearing. And ive removed my alarm siren as it was mounted to the fire wall and the bracket was loose. Sounds like its coming from right behhind the dash cluster/clock. My exhaust recently rotted out and snapped right after the cat but it was happening before that. Ive spent atleast 4 hours in my engine bay with a stethoscope but i cant recreate the sound without driving. Any insight or leads would help immensely!!! Thank you
Old 06-08-2018, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hey guys new here. Need insight on an intermittent chatter

In my experience....box of rocks sounds(or as you put it "gravel in a tin can") usually emanate from the transmission. Is it a manual or auto?
Old 06-08-2018, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey thanks for the reply. Its manual. I hope its not the tranny lol if it was wouldnt it only happen in certain gears? Ive also poped it into neutral while rolling and the sound still happened. As i said before my alternator whines maybe the bearings are really starting to go.....whould a pulley be bad enough to make that sound?
Old 06-09-2018, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I would say it's either the cat going bad as they're known to make that sound when the break or it's your drivetrain (that's the transmission, wheels, and everything in between that spins). But since you said it also happened when it's rolling in neutral, meaning excess exhaust from driving isn't going through the cat, then that points to drivetrain. Are you able to jack up your car? Put it in neutral and spin the wheels (engine off) to see where the sound is coming from. It's not coming from the engine driving the car but from everything spinning after the engine. If you don't here it while spinning the wheels in neutral than its in the transmission.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright so jacked the car up. Spun the tires, no noise. No vertical or lateral play either. Is there any way to check the tranny? Not trying to put off the idea im just trying to go by whats the cheapest and easiest to fix. Before diving into a tranny swap. Anyway any of the pulley bearings can make this kind of noise as it sounds like its coming from the opposite side of the engine bay than where the tranny is. As i said before my alternator whines could the bearings be getting so bad to be making a grinding sound? You see the sound is so hard to describe. Like a chatter...maybe gravel in a can was a bad discription...kinda like driving over gravel....or the noise you get when you spin a bike tire but more defined. Imma take the belt of the alternator and take it around the block tomorrow and ill report back! Thanks for the help so far!
Old 06-09-2018, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated by the other posters, the sound that you describe is usually made by a manual gearbox that’s going bad. I’ve experienced a similar sound with two transmissions. One was a d series s20 trans in my 93 civic, and a 92 integra with Y1 that made the same noise. Both would even make the noise while in neutral. Also, these transmissions were prone to grinds and pop outs as well. A way for you to test to see if it’s the same problem I had is to listen, and see if the sound cuts out or changes while you are engaging and holding the clutch in, and if it comes back or sounds any different when you let off the clutch. If the sound doesn’t change at all by use of your clutch, I would say that you could eliminate the trans as possibility. But aside from the transmission, I have no clue what it could be. I never heard of alternators or any belt driven accessories making the noise you described. Could you attach a file or link of you recording the sound?
Old 06-09-2018, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Well the reason I don't think it's an accessory pulley is because you said it only does it when you're driving and also when the car's rolling in neutral. So that means when it's sitting still at idle, it's not making the noise correct? When you're sitting still at idle and when you're rolling in neutral at whatever speed, the engine is spinning at the same speed (maybe a little higher because of pressure differences from driving but that's a moot point). So your alternator pulley isn't spinning any differently when you're rolling at neutral or sitting at idle because it goes with the engine speed. So just going off of when you say it does and doesn't make the noise, it can't really be the alternator pulley IMO.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the noise from your transmission, as opposed to the rest of your drive train would be noticeably different. Anything related to your axles, wheel hubs, wheels, brakes, or whatever would have a speed dependant sound signature and would not be very distinct, due to the simple nature of these parts. On the otherhand, a transmission has many tiny and big parts all crammed inside the bell housing. When it makes a noise, it’s likely to make several different types depending on what’s going bad, and the noises will be distinct, somewhat unique.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

does the noise go away when you press the clutch all the way down
Old 06-11-2018, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys. Its pointing to the tranny so far then. Ill make sure to try out the clutch experiment next time the noise decides to show itself and have the gf take a video. Maybe on the way home from work tonight,tho its raining and it seems to be non existent or almost nonexistent whent its wet out. If it is the trans i wanted to do a gsr tranny swap with an ls 5th anyway :p also ordering a new alternator tonight as the whining noise is annoying ill report back if anything changes!
Old 06-11-2018, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well im stumped ive tried the clutch in thing while the noise is happening and the sound whent away as the rpms dropped. But! With the clutch still fully engaged i gave it some gas to flutter the rpms and the noise came back! So im starting to think its an rpm/vibration related noise....still working on a video....probably later today!
Old 06-11-2018, 12:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

might be exhaust shield rattle
Old 06-11-2018, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there we go video of the elusive noise!
Old 06-11-2018, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Saint95Teg
https://youtu.be/bZp3VNZNh5Q

there we go video of the elusive noise!

Hmm. Interesteing. It sounds a lot like gearbox chatter but You should have shifted gears or something so we could hear how the sound changes. I think you’re onto something as far as it being vibration related. But the fact that it goes away when the clutch is on still makes me feel that it’s gearbox related. I’m thinking the input shaft of the transmission. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the input shaft spin inline with the engine no matter if the clutch is engaged or not?
Old 06-11-2018, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You know, I once discovered acorns inside the air intake filter box of a friends ek sedan that I was doing work on, they made a rattling sound when driving that was caused by vibration. The damn sound was driving me nuts. Pun intended. Lol, but really, I was like “what the hell is that noise?” For days on end.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can take another video of me shifting if need be! And idk if it helps at all but ive noticed today driving around it ONLY happens when the car is rolling and the rpms are between 2500 and 3k clutch in or not.

and seriously acorns??? Have a family of squirrels living in his EK? lol
Old 06-12-2018, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay now I’m really stumped. The only thing I can think of that makes rpm dependant noise is tires. And Tirea don’t sound like that. I’m no auto guru though, and diagnosing sounds is probably the weakest of my skills. Good luck!

And yes, squirrels. I don’t think they were living in it, just using it for winter food storage. There were seriously like 50 acorns in there right beneath the air filter... The car had been sitting for like 3 years before my friend owned it.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the easiest way to check a trans is to drain the fluid into a container you can inspect it in. If the fluid looks like it would make a good metallic paint job....well, you get the idea. If it is bad, you can alway fill it back up & drive it till something really gives up.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah i was thinking of draining the trans fluid anyway just for maintenance purposes. And if that looks good im at a lost at this point. Either, A. itll eventually rattle itself loose and give me more symptoms or something will catastrophically fail. B. I find it and fix it. Or C itll annoy me to the end of my days lol. Tho i just had a 3 hour round trip to jersey and back and she didnt skip a beat so im not too worried. Im really starting to think its the rusted *** exhaust especially since ive noticed it only happens between those rpms. Like my change in my center console vibrates at 4k but not at 5k. And the reason it only happens when im driving is the wind or heat 《or both》 factors into the piping. Just speculation! Should be able to replace both the alternator and exhaust next paycheck. Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated!
Old 06-12-2018, 11:55 PM
Global Moderator

I’d be willing to bet exhaust. Especially since you have mentioned it rotted out
Old 06-18-2018, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

New speculation....ive found that under hard accleration that shifting into second i get slight grinding. I know this could be do to mounts. Would motor/ trans mounts cause this chatter?
​​​​​​