Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Help new to cars integra problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help new to cars integra problems

I just got a 96 with a 1.8 non vetec got a great deal but the charcoal canister is gone there's just hoses laying around I'm not sure where they go I'm not sure what I should do and it only starts with a shot of ether runs perfect after that it caught on fire for a second and melted the connector for the throttle position sensor I'm assuming not sure if that has something to do with the starting problem any help would be appreciated
Old 12-16-2018, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Help new to cars integra problems

Go to majestic Acura and find the diagram of the evap system. It will show the part numbers and how it connects together. Try finding those parts at the junkyard before buying new. Sometimes an older oem part is better than a new part from auto zone.

I would give the car a good once over before trying to start it again with the new parts. There will be other mickey mouse **** throughout the car that you will discover after you fix those initial problems.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay thank you and whenever you turn the key on it sounds like its sucking air like somewhere around the manifold for about 5 or 8 seconds then it stops
Old 12-16-2018, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billy ray
Okay thank you and whenever you turn the key on it sounds like its sucking air like somewhere around the manifold for about 5 or 8 seconds then it stops
yeah the solenoid is trying to suck fuel fumes from the charcoal canister which obviously doesn't exist, so you are sucking unfiltered air into the manifold. How ghetto can some people get running such a setup (old owner I'm referring to) , sorry to hear you need to get this resolved, the parts won't be cheap.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
yeah the solenoid is trying to suck fuel fumes from the charcoal canister which obviously doesn't exist, so you are sucking unfiltered air into the manifold. How ghetto can some people get running such a setup (old owner I'm referring to) , sorry to hear you need to get this resolved, the parts won't be cheap.
thanks for the advice do you think that has anything to do with my starting problem I dont mean to sound dumb but I've only ever worked on big trucks and 350s new to the Honda world
Old 12-16-2018, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Yes you must replace the TPS sensor if it got damaged from the fire and it must be recalibrated to spec, this is your starting issue most likely. Make sure the plug is not melted or replace it. Calibrating the TPS is not that hard, replace the OEM rivets with screws and you should be fine, search Google on how to calibrate the TPS sensor.

How did it catch on fire is the bigger ??
Old 12-17-2018, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Yes you must replace the TPS sensor if it got damaged from the fire and it must be recalibrated to spec, this is your starting issue most likely. Make sure the plug is not melted or replace it. Calibrating the TPS is not that hard, replace the OEM rivets with screws and you should be fine, search Google on how to calibrate the TPS sensor.

How did it catch on fire is the bigger ??
I believe it had something to do with the turbo setup the previous owner was running
Old 12-22-2018, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update guys the pigtail fixed the starting issue and I have a canister on the way