Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

do i have a bad head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do i have a bad head gasket?

93 integra. My car has been over heating and the radiator fan has not been kicking on. The car was bought about 3 months ago and the head was switcheed out because the spark plug thread was messed up. Someone told me it might be a he'd gasket. He said that because I have a bad gasket that the cooling system isn't working right. He said to disconect the distributor and then crank the engine over for 30 seconds and to remove the radiator cap. If air came out it would verify that I had a bad gasket. So I did what he said and sure enough air escaped when I removed the cap what do u guys think?
Old 02-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do i have a bad head gasket?

Check the thermastat in the back of the block where the fan connector goes. It opens up ur Block to the coolant and allows the fan to turn on at a certian temp replace that and look at your fan relays and make sure there good. If it is your head gasket youll see white smoke comming out of ur exhaust.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mostattheres a ther on the back of the block??? i thought there was only one thermostat? we checked the relays and they work fine. we had replaced the thermostat and ect sensor and still no luck with the fan coming on
Old 02-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just check if its leaking oil or whatever..maybe ur seals are bad on the head gasket or something..
Old 02-15-2009, 10:42 PM
GDD Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mindgamez
Check the thermastat in the back of the block where the fan connector goes. It opens up ur Block to the coolant and allows the fan to turn on at a certian temp replace that and look at your fan relays and make sure there good. If it is your head gasket youll see white smoke comming out of ur exhaust.

Stop giving bad advice dude. The fan switch is under the distributor and not all bad headgaskets smoke.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, Just like slowmofo said not all bad headgaskets smoke.

I would first look around the head and block and see if any coolant is coming out. Check the engine oil to make sure there's no coolant in there(looks like chocolate milk) Check the exhaust for white smoke.

Are you losing coolant? That would help to know.

Also I have had radiators not flow right in the past. And that will definetly cause an overheating issue. I think its either 8 or 11 gpm they are suppose to flow? I had one that flowed 2 gpm and was causing my car to overheat on the highway.

I would check all this out and if your not losing coolant then it's a circulation problem... heater core, radiator, thermostat, water pump or just something blocked up. And jsut because air is coming out your radiator doesn't mean headgasket, it just means leak in the system somewhere could be a cracked hose causing the air to come up.

As far as the fan goes, that should definetely be working so fix that first.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by carfanat1c; 02-16-2009 at 06:33 AM. Reason: additional info