Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Distributor Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor Help

Hey HT I have a 95 GSR engine that seems to be misfiring intermittently, mostly when the car is at normal operating temp, it will start and run when cold 90% of the time. I checked spark and cyl #2 has a misfire, BUT I switched the wires from cyl #3 to #2 and it fired just fine, switched them back and no more misfire! but the car still runs the same with the same misfiring issue. And the car will only try to run with the distributor advanced all the way.

I've already replaced:
-Distributor
-Plugs
-Wires
-IACV
-ECT sensor

So I really need your help HT because I've had my mechanic look at it and even they are all stumped at the shop, so if any of you guys can help it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks HT
Old 03-06-2016, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Distributor Help

Check valve adjustment. A valve that is too tight causes loss of compression and misfiring at idle when warm.

Set timing with a light (the ECU test connector must be jumpered). If spark timing doesn't come in near the center of the adjustment range, check cam timing marks.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:17 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Needing to advance your distributor all the way would point towards a mechanical timing issue. Check it.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay I'll check that tomorrow, the shops locked up so when I check the timing on it I'll let you guys know
Old 03-07-2016, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Why did you make two threads!!

i already told you what they just said in your first thread!,

Fuel wont cause the missfire, if you switched #2 wire to #3 wire and the missfire went away its a bad wire. Or if it doesnt change from switching the distributor wires try the injectors! might be a bad injector missfiring.

Try reseting the ecu just unplug the battery or ecu fuse to see if the missfire and cell goes away if not its deff a mech timing issue.

and a mech shop stumped on a honda missfire yea right lol they always BS with people they know they just diddnt want to help you i think..

Also check to see if your timing is off mechanically, the cams may have skipped a tooth or two, Advancing the distributor to make it run is not good! check the timing first!!!
Old 03-07-2016, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Why did you make two threads!!

i already told you what they just said in your first thread!,

Fuel wont cause the missfire, if you switched #2 wire to #3 wire and the missfire went away its a bad wire. Or if it doesnt change from switching the distributor wires try the injectors! might be a bad injector missfiring.

Try reseting the ecu just unplug the battery or ecu fuse to see if the missfire and cell goes away if not its deff a mech timing issue.

and a mech shop stumped on a honda missfire yea right lol they always BS with people they know they just diddnt want to help you i think..

Also check to see if your timing is off mechanically, the cams may have skipped a tooth or two, Advancing the distributor to make it run is not good! check the timing first!!!
Didn't realize I posted it in the same Thread, I need to check my timing with the light to get a good reading on where its at, but I checked the cam timing and the cams are lined up damn near perfect, could the crank be off by a tooth? I'm not sure if the car would even run in that case but any help is good! thanks for your input btw wunfstgsr

Last edited by DylanGSR_eh9; 03-07-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And there is no CEL showing up, ecu is a new one I forgot to mention that before, the old one was fried
Old 03-08-2016, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Its possible the crank could be off, set the cams back to tdc make sure they line up perfect then look at the crank pulley and see if the line on the oil pump lines up with the mark on the crank pulley, if its not lined up timing skipped but usually you will see this when you line up the cams.

It still sounds like your timoing is off mech. If you have to advance it to run its deff off.

Here are some things that can cause a misfire: bad o2 sensor, bad plugs, bad plug wires, bad distributor, EGR ports clogged, bad gas, out of spec valve clearance, bad fuel filter, bad cam timing. Since you replaced the plugs and distributor I would check everything else in the list.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Its possible the crank could be off, set the cams back to tdc make sure they line up perfect then look at the crank pulley and see if the line on the oil pump lines up with the mark on the crank pulley, if its not lined up timing skipped but usually you will see this when you line up the cams.

It still sounds like your timoing is off mech. If you have to advance it to run its deff off.

Here are some things that can cause a misfire: bad o2 sensor, bad plugs, bad plug wires, bad distributor, EGR ports clogged, bad gas, out of spec valve clearance, bad fuel filter, bad cam timing. Since you replaced the plugs and distributor I would check everything else in the list.
o2 is new and its got new gas in it, and newer plugs but ill still check them, I'll check the other things that you mentioned over the weekend. Thanks for the information I hadn't thought of valve clearance or checking my fuel filter so thanks! I appreciate the help man!