Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Distributor Help

Old 03-05-2016, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor Help

Hey HT I have a 95 GSR engine that seems to be misfiring intermittently, mostly when the car is at normal operating temp, it will start and run when cold 90% of the time. I checked spark and cyl #2 has a misfire, BUT I switched the wires from cyl #3 to #2 and it fired just fine, switched them back and no more misfire! but the car still runs the same with the same misfiring issue. And the car will only try to run with the distributor advanced all the way.

I've already replaced:
-Distributor
-Plugs
-Wires
-IACV
-ECT sensor

So I really need your help HT because I've had my mechanic look at it and even they are all stumped at the shop, so if any of you guys can help it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks HT
Old 03-05-2016, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Distributor Help

Had the same exact problem. For 2 weeks, I just today used some seafoam ran that **** hard and the light went away. Also I suspect that my shell station had some bad gas I switched it up to Sinclair so that probably also helped.

Edit: I also checked first to last ignitions, vacuum leaks then fuel.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kingkau
Had the same exact problem. For 2 weeks, I just today used some seafoam ran that **** hard and the light went away. Also I suspect that my shell station had some bad gas I switched it up to Sinclair so that probably also helped.

Edit: I also checked first to last ignitions, vacuum leaks then fuel.
So you think it could be bad fuel? because the fuel is new 91 non ethanol gas, I think it still could be ignition related but I'm not sure otherwise I wouldn't be here thanks for your input ill try that tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Fuel wont cause the missfire, if you switched #2 wire to #3 wire and the missfire went away its a bad wire. Or if it doesnt change from switching the distributor wires try the injectors! might be a bad injector missfiring.

Try reseting the ecu just unplug the battery or ecu fuse to see if the missfire and cell goes away if not its deff a mech timing issue.

and a mech shop stumped on a honda missfire yea right lol they always BS with people they know they just diddnt want to help you i think..

Also check to see if your timing is off mechanically, the cams may have skipped a tooth or two, Advancing the distributor to make it run is not good! check the timing first!!!
Old 03-27-2016, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah I had a similar issue with my car! One problem I had was platinum spark plugs. USE COPPER!! Another issue I had was actually my crankshaft pulley! The rubber was worn out, and my battery wasn't getting a full charge. Drove it like that for a year before I finally found the problem! Another thing, on some cars, you need to jump the wiring before you can adjust the ignition timing, or the vacuum advance will just keep setting it back, no matter where you have the dizzy! Start with your plugs, then do your ignition timing at operating temp. Don't hook up the timing light while the car is running! Don't forget to remove your jumper when you are done!