Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Check Engine Light on for 3 months... should i fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light on for 3 months... should i fix it?

So my check engine light has been coming on for the past 2 or 3 months. i checked the code and got a code 90, which is "Evaporative Emission Control System leak detected in the fuel tank area." However, i have not noticed any difference in performance at all whatsoever. My gas mileage is still the same, no visible leaks, no smoking, and no strange noises. The only thing is I have to keep disconnecting my battery every so often so that i dont have to see the check engine light for a few days or weeks.

I was just wondering, whats the longest you guys have let your check engine light on without fixing it?
Old 04-30-2006, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Check Engine Light on for 3 months... should i fix it? (iwantvtec)

is your gas cap tight?
Old 04-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Check Engine Light on for 3 months... should i fix it? (jmv38)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jmv38 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is your gas cap tight?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Get your cap pressure tested if it is tight. You may need a new one.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check Engine Light on for 3 months... should i fix it? (jmv38)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jmv38 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is your gas cap tight?</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dogginator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Get your cap pressure tested if it is tight. You may need a new one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope its not tight. It just keeps spinning. When i get gas it takes the gas guy a minute of spinning to get it off. I know on the gas cap it says, "If cap does not make 3 clicks, check engine light may come on." Could the problem be as simple as a gas cap?
Old 04-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iwantvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

When i get gas it takes the gas guy a minute of spinning to get it off. </TD></TR></TABLE> you have someone fill ur gas for you? haha..cool..anyways..yes it will throw a cel..
Old 04-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that's your problem right there. the only thing is, i'm wondering how well the car runs with the CEL on...

i doubt it's throwing it into loop mode... but i've never had that issue. mine is throwing a code 20 (ELD) because it's a swap... but it's unaffected. in fact, the light doesn't even come on unless i jump it...
Old 04-30-2006, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check Engine Light on for 3 months... should i fix it? (b20integrapower)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b20integrapower &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> you have someone fill ur gas for you? haha..cool..anyways..yes it will throw a cel..</TD></TR></TABLE>

In some states like Oregon, it's illegal to fill up your own gas tank.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check Engine Light on for 3 months... should i fix it? (b20integrapower)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b20integrapower &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> you have someone fill ur gas for you? haha..cool..anyways..yes it will throw a cel..</TD></TR></TABLE>

heheh yep... here in new jersey, its illegal to pump ur own gas... just like Vtecfool said its illegal in Oregon.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black Widow g2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that's your problem right there. the only thing is, i'm wondering how well the car runs with the CEL on...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

It works perfectly even with it on. You can't even tell the check engine light is on. Gas mileage has been the same and everything.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:28 PM
Daisy... Daisy...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iwantvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

heheh yep... here in new jersey, its illegal to pump ur own gas... just like Vtecfool said its illegal in Oregon.

It works perfectly even with it on. You can't even tell the check engine light is on. Gas mileage has been the same and everything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its an OBDII CEL. It will not affect the performance. The leaking cap can lower your mileage by allowing your gasoline to evaporate.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes it could be as simple as a gas cap. this always happens to my kids mom. she can never seem to put the cap on right and always has a check eng. light .
Old 05-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check Engine Light on for 3 months... should i fix it? (53JDMDC2)

okay so i got a gas cap yesterday, but not sure if its okay to use... i was at the gas station yesterday and the gas guy cudnt spin it off... he was like "it just keeps spinning, it wont come off"... so i was like "yeah i know, i gotta buy a new one." i eventually had to pry it off with my fingers... den after getting gas, he goes to his little booth and comes out with a used gas cap in his hand. he's like, "here you can have this." he puts it on and it fits and clicks like the way it should. nice guy that gas guy was...

anyways, i was curious, is it okay to use this gas cap? he didnt know what car it was for, but it fit. the gas cap was plain as hell, no honda signs or anything like that. is it okay to use this?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Daisy... Daisy...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iwantvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyways, i was curious, is it okay to use this gas cap? he didnt know what car it was for, but it fit. the gas cap was plain as hell, no honda signs or anything like that. is it okay to use this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

More than likely. Does the new cap easily unscrew? Has your CEL been fixed?
Old 05-06-2006, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check Engine Light on for 3 months... should i fix it? (Dogginator)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dogginator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

More than likely. Does the new cap easily unscrew? Has your CEL been fixed?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah it unscrews easily. not sure if my CEL has been fixed. I disconnected my negative on the battery to reset it, but its too early to determine whether it has been fixed cuz ive only driven about 100 miles ever since, which was like 2 days ago. when it used to show up, it would be anywhere from 5 days to 3 weeks, den i would just reset it again.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:16 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

When you removed the old cap, did it release pressure? How about the new cap?
Old 05-06-2006, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Release pressure? it didn't "seem" like it? what do you mean by that?

The new cap I dont know. I haven't took the new cap off. I have checked to see that it locks on alright though and know that its on tight.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:35 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

When I remove my cap, there is vapor pressure that is released. It makes a whoosh noise.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah mine doesnt do that. no whoosh sound.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:11 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iwantvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah mine doesnt do that. no whoosh sound. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You could have a leak in the filler neck or tank that allows the vapor to escape. You'll just have to wait for the CEL.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dogginator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You could have a leak in the filler neck or tank that allows the vapor to escape. You'll just have to wait for the CEL.</TD></TR></TABLE>

whats the worse that could happen if this is the problem do you think?
Old 05-07-2006, 04:15 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

You'd occasionally smell gasoline when you go near your car. The worst case is a ball of fire, but that is highly unlikely unless gasoline in running onto the ground.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:32 PM

I had the same problem with my 01 Teg, I talked to the service guys at the Acura dealer and he said try a new gas cap, so I bought one there for $10.99, I'm gonna reset my cel in the morning to see if I'm fixed...

Dude also said that if it wasn't the cap, it could be a pressure sensor at the base of the filler neck that can be damaged by overfilling..... that could suck